Electronic Ignition - Team Camaro Tech
Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Scottie

Electronic Ignition

Hey all, hoping for some advice i know my options are very limited because i want to keep the stock distributor and this picture may be my only choice i have and that's okay but for $169.00 is it much better than point's..i really want to get it but not sure if there will be much difference so hoping for some advice..is anyone familiar with this kit from Ricks Camaro's ??(can't download the picture) Please any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 02:16 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Electronic Ignition

Since there is no link to Rick's Camaros, or a pic, it is assumed you are asking about a module such as a Pertronix that replaces the points/condenser in your current distributor?

From what I've read and used in an old VW Beetle engine, the Pertronix module worked fine. I just converted my 67 from a GM HEI back to the GM points distributor with points and condenser. So far, I've not considered switching over to a module that replaces the points, as its pricy. I suppose if someone experiences pitting on the points often, it would be worth the price, but after 4 months of having points in my distributor, the dwell is still spot on, and engine fires right up and runs great with them (points). Points usually will pit (create a bump) on one side of the contact when the condenser fails, or if you buy a cheap st of points/condenser.

Others go with a module to avoid having to check the dwell. This requires a meter to do so. Cheaper to buy a dwell meter, and adjusting the dwell is a mater of starting the engine, opening the slide door on the distributor cap, and using the correct allen wrench, adjust the dwell to 28 to 32 degrees (V8) on the dwell meter.

I still have a dwell meter and timing light!

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 03:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

I thought a kit and coil is about $120?

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 04:15 AM
Apprentice
Ralph

Scott,

The Pertronix is a two wire system. The equivalent module sold by American Auto Wire is a single wire system and from the outside has a visually stock appearance. I believe the module that Rick's sells is the AAW unit. I've been happily running one with no issues or maintenance. Worth the money....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech

OP

IDK which one Rick's (Ecklers) sells but you can buy the Pertronix one from places like Summit, Jegs and even Amazon or your local speed shop

I installed the Pertronix kit only using a stock coil. It is a 2 wire (+ & -) to coil hook up. You do need to run a new wire from IGN circuit on fuse block or cut & splice, at the firewall, the stock white resister wire that went to the + coil of the stock set up and replace that section of white wire with regular non resistor wire for the Pertronix, or any other, HEI swap.

It is a fairly simple mod to do. Read instructions. You "may" also have to shim the distributor gear which requires removing the distributor gear and punching out the roll pin to put in one or more included spacers that come with the kit. You first need to measure the rotor gap to plate distance with a feeler gauge to see if you are within the noted range in instructions. All fairly simple to do
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 10:22 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Electronic Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiemac View Post
Hey all, hoping for some advice i know my options are very limited because i want to keep the stock distributor and this picture may be my only choice i have and that's okay but for $169.00 is it much better than point's..i really want to get it but not sure if there will be much difference so hoping for some advice..is anyone familiar with this kit from Ricks Camaro's ??(can't download the picture) Please any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks..

Breakerless Ignition
Breakerless SE is an Ignition points replacement system that is a great single wire kit so it looks stock using original cap. Easy to install and reliable.
Two wire systems and others that require a control module are all popular options. Some can be made to look single wire with looms etc. But it does sound like the "kit" you speak of from Ricks is the Breakerless SE system linked above. It is a great unit and works with most stock coils. It is made by M & H Electric Fabricators in California. Compare other units to it: Breakerless Ignition
As to pictures you need four more posts before you can post any image tags to off site resources.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 12:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Breakerless Ignition is what I am using and I would use again. As stated, one wire connection and no hot wire feed.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
Breakerless Ignition is what I am using and I would use again. As stated, one wire connection and no hot wire feed.
do you use the stock yellow and white wires that go to the + side of the coil?

The white wire is a resistance wire so its voltage is about 8 (for stock points car)....doesn't the Breakerless unit require a full +12v like other HEI and ProTronix kits??

If so the braided cloth insulated white wire would be replaced with a non resistance type to feed the coil +12vdc
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 19, 11:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

You use the same wires as with the points. No additional wiring is required. It is beneficial to pull the distributor to make the conversion.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 19, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
You use the same wires as with the points. .
IDK about the Breakerless system you have but if you are using the stock white wire to the coil than your Breakerless Ignition is not getting +12v. If it does not need it fine but Pertronix is specific about wanting +12vdc using 12 gauge wire
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 19, 12:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Breakerless system uses the same voltage and wiring as the points used. No additional dedicated 12v wiring is needed.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 19, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Breakerless system uses the same voltage and wiring as the points used. No additional dedicated 12v wiring is needed.
Good to know the Breakerless system is a lower voltage processor to work with the stock white ballast (resistance) wire that goes to + coil (IGN)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode