For best results use specific forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dave

Garage
Rear Spoiler

If you had a NO spoiler car and were doing a resto/mod, would you add a front and rear spoiler? If yes, would you do it to an original no spoiler decklid?
I was thinking of buying a re-pop decklid to paint and add spoiler and also paint my original decklid so I have an option to go with or without.
Milt's 68 SS/RS 396 and mnr60 like this.

1969 Plain Jane Coupe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Rear Spoiler

IMO, re-pop stuff is pretty good, but original is best. I had a non-spoiler car and drilled holes in my original deck lid. No regrets. If you buy a re-pop, nothing wrong with that. Will it be tougher to fit? maybe.
Do you plan on keeping and enjoying the car a long time? If so, use original.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 12:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

i did your idea of having 2 deck lids, with and without. i also painted 2 hoods, flat and cowl. i never wound up putting the flat hood back on the car but i did switch deck lids frequently and still can't decide which look i like better.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 12:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

i would do like you said and buy a repop spoiler lid and spoiler and paint both. it really changes the whole car. it's like having two different cars to choose from
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 02:15 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Had a spoiler on my car, and not sure if it was original or not....but when it was restored I opted to leave it off.

Darn near everyone has a spoiler, and I wanted to be different
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarShow 2016.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	226423  

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 02:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lee

Garage

I bought after market lid and put a 69 Firebird spoiler on it. Switch out every so often to change things up. The fitment was pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160522_124112.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	226425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160522_124029.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	226427  

1969, X-11
383 5 speed, 373 rear
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 02:33 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

I bought my car in 72 with no front or rear spoiler. I went to the Chevrolet garage and ordered both and installed them
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 02:32 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Be aware that a rear trunk spoiler from the factory used a front antenna, as the rear trunk spoiler would hit the rear mounted antenna when it was opened.

Just mentioning this if you're a purist; others may bring this to your attention if you add the rear trunk spoiler to a non factory equipped one.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 04:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lee

Garage

That's why I put in a power antenna, not a purist here.

1969, X-11
383 5 speed, 373 rear
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 06:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I put my antenna in the spoiler. If I were to remove the spoiler I'd leave it in the trunk

!967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

I love the look of the front and rear spoiler. Even if your car didn't originally come with one, I say go for it. That isn't something that can't be undone with minimal effort or expense. I do like the idea of buying a repop and adding the rear spoiler to that if you think you may not like it, but I would look around and see if you can find an original first. It may already have the spoiler on it.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 07:59 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Be aware a lid with spoiler requires the heavier (larger diameter) lift rods to hold
the lid open. Also finding a lid that fits properly without mods may prove difficult.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
John

I just adjusted the tension.
HawkX66 likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Be aware a lid with spoiler requires the heavier (larger diameter) lift rods to hold
the lid open. Also finding a lid that fits properly without mods may prove difficult.
Nosuh... It's correct to have the two different diameter rods on a D80 car, but it's not necessary. I have a factory spoiler on my non-D80 lid with stock rods and it pops up and holds perfectly fine.
Personal opinion, if mine didn't have a spoiler on it already, I'd leave it off. I'd love to find an original deck lid that doesn't have holes. Eventually I'm planning on carefully welding the holes closed on my born with deck lid. If I did have an undrilled factory deck lid and I wanted a spoiler, I'd buy a drilled deck lid.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci 241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA
Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
Nosuh... It's correct to have the two different diameter rods on a D80 car, but it's not necessary. I have a factory spoiler on my non-D80 lid with stock rods and it pops up and holds perfectly fine.
Personal opinion, if mine didn't have a spoiler on it already, I'd leave it off. I'd love to find an original deck lid that doesn't have holes. Eventually I'm planning on carefully welding the holes closed on my born with deck lid. If I did have an undrilled factory deck lid and I wanted a spoiler, I'd buy a drilled deck lid.
X2 on what Dave wrote. Larger rod not necessary but yes it was used with d80 option. Whatever u do do not drill your original lid as they can be difficult to acquire especially on 67 and 68 years due to many changes. The repro deck lid I’ve been told by many is a good piece but that does not mean it might need some work to fit nicely but liked what your thinking, new lid and spoiler, and keep original as it came. Personally I like seeing Camaro’s without spoiler but realize it’s one popular option. Enjoy both versions!

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode