Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 19, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Re: Motor Oil

Diesel oils and racing oils do not have an additive package for street car use. Using these oils will ultimately be a poor decision in the long run. Additives are basically snake oil and actually disrupt (for lack of a better term) the additive formulation of the oil they are added to.

I use Z-rod 10w30 for my 2 flat tappet small blocks.
boyd66k20 likes this.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwi67 View Post
Diesel oils and racing oils do not have an additive package for street car use. Using these oils will ultimately be a poor decision in the long run. Additives are basically snake oil and actually disrupt (for lack of a better term) the additive formulation of the oil they are added to.

I use Z-rod 10w30 for my 2 flat tappet small blocks.

You are correct for diesel oils, somewhat incorrect for "race" oils.

You need to read the product data sheets to understand what the oil is good for. Furthermore, just because it says "race or racing" in the name doesn't necessarily mean it is for racing only.

What makes your Lucas oil better than this Schaeffer "racing" oil? https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/276-709-td.pdf

Or this Valvoline racing oil: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1
boyd66k20 likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Racing oils are designed for racing, all out hard use. They don't contain anything to control acids from stop start and low engine temps during general street use. They also get replaced every race. Plenty of people use them for street and with good results but, like Bruce stated in post 13 most people don't have the mileage on their engine really know if the oil they are using is best suited for their application, myself included.

One of my small blocks I've had for 30 years and have ran so many different oils in it over the years I don't know which was best because I rarely did oil analysis on it.

The other SB is new and wanted to stick with one oil so after lots of reading and asking questions, gathering opinions and comparing, I settled on Amsoil Z-rod full synthetic and I can only hope it performs as stated and give that engine a long service life.

I almost went for the Schaeffer posted above but, the Amsoil was more available to me.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
bob

Quote:
Racing oils are designed for racing, all out hard use. They don't contain anything to control acids from stop start and low engine temps during general street use. They also get replaced every race. Plenty of people use them for street and with good results but, like Bruce stated in post 13 most people don't have the mileage on their engine really know if the oil they are using is best suited for their application, myself included.

One of my small blocks I've had for 30 years and have ran so many different oils in it over the years I don't know which was best because I rarely did oil analysis on it.

The other SB is new and wanted to stick with one oil so after lots of reading and asking questions, gathering opinions and comparing, I settled on Amsoil Z-rod full synthetic and I can only hope it performs as stated and give that engine a long service life.

I almost went for the Schaeffer posted above but, the Amsoil was more available to me.
If you read the "racing oil" data sheets, they tell you they are also for street use. Again, the word "racing" in the name is just a word...not saying it is for racing only or even racing in general. The term "racing" is a sales gimmick.

Here is an example: Isky cams. Google Isky and what comes up: "Isky Racing Cams" as the website name to the corporate website. Does that mean every cam they make is racing because it says racing? Of course not. Same with "racing" oils. It might be in the name, but that is it.

You mention additive packages for neutralizing acid (TBN or Total Base Number) with the higher the number being better: one "race" oil Schaeffer is 10.0, your amsoil is 9.1, Valvoline VR1 racing is 8.5, and Lucas Hot Rod is 9.2. Now a true "race oil" such as Valvoline Pro-V oil 10w40 has a TBN of >2.5. That is your "race oil" The aforementioned numbers are gotten right off each companies data sheet for that particular oil. Read each of the data sheets and they will all tell you they are safe for street and storage usage, same as the amsoil (which has been pushing that acid and storage line for 25 years).

Please don't get hung up on not using a product that might say "racing" in its name. And good luck with your amsoil.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 06:51 PM
Tech Team
boyd

Valvoline VR-1 racing oil, silver bottle, (not black) for flat tappet, no catalytic converter. High in the PPM's zinc and phosphorus. High film strength. No additives, as it has its own and it changes the make up of the product. Deals on Amazon for 6 qt boxes.
Google 540rat oil test data and learn a bunch. Long read.
I learned a ton.
Allot out there but that's all I know.
Best.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 07:03 PM
Tech Team
boyd

Quote:

Valvoline VR-1 racing oil in Silverbottle is not the same as the real hard core race oil in the black bottle and can be used as a daily driver . The black bottle Valvoline racing oil, as you pointed to, must be changed after a day of racing.
That's what I read awhile back, years back in fact.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 07:08 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luwi67 View Post
racing oils are designed for racing, all out hard use. They don't contain anything to control acids from stop start and low engine temps during general street use. They also get replaced every race. Plenty of people use them for street and with good results but, like bruce stated in post 13 most people don't have the mileage on their engine really know if the oil they are using is best suited for their application, myself included.

One of my small blocks i've had for 30 years and have ran so many different oils in it over the years i don't know which was best because i rarely did oil analysis on it.

The other sb is new and wanted to stick with one oil so after lots of reading and asking questions, gathering opinions and comparing, i settled on amsoil z-rod full synthetic and i can only hope it performs as stated and give that engine a long service life.

I almost went for the schaeffer posted above but, the amsoil was more available to me.
valvoline vr-1 racing oil in silverbottle is not the same as the real hard core race oil in the black bottle and can be used as a daily driver . The black bottle valvoline racing oil, as you pointed to, must be changed after a day of racing.
That's what i read awhile back, years back in fact.
x2

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode