Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
John

Re: key won't turn to open the trunk.

Thanks guys for the quick replies I just tried to turn the lock shaft from inside the trunk with no success Looks like if I remove the three bolts to the lock mechanism the shaft would still hold it in place??? I don't mind drilling the lock but can you be more descriptive on the drilling??? Would I try to drill out the whole internals of the tumbler?? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

hmm, I forget how the shaft attaches to the cylinder...I don't think much holds it. Maybe a spring ? Here's a pic .https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/...Kit-w-GM-Keys/

If you can pull the shaft from the cylinder to disengage, then turn the shaft...

For the 3rd time; HAVE YOU TRIED LUBING THE CYLINDER ??

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
John

Oh yes sorry first thing I sprayed wd 40 the first night then in the mourning its a new lock I installed a few years ago I also tried pushing down and pulling up on the lid

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 05:34 PM
John

Garage

The shaft engages the lock with like a 1/4 turn. I believe it will turn. The key in the lock may help.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 05:58 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

unscrewing the bracket as Everett suggests is the quickest fix for your issue IMHO. https://www.camaros.net/forums/1783139275-post8.html The bracket Everett speaks of is NOT visible in the photo Patrick posted. It's dark here so I can't grab a decent one off my car tonight but if still an issue I will.

It is a tight fit, Unless you own a convertible then you can sacrifice the top well and get into the trunk with relative ease. Your signature block in your profile is missing your vehicles details so I throw this out there in case it is the case.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 07:28 PM
John

Garage

Honestly at this point I'd drill the lock and be done with it in 2 minutes.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 08:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrunner View Post
I don't mind drilling the lock but can you be more descriptive on the drilling??? Would I try to drill out the whole internals of the tumbler?? Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Honestly at this point I'd drill the lock and be done with it in 2 minutes.
Just keep the drill centered where you insert the key. I think my drill bit tended to wander downward so go slow and keep it straight.

Don't go in more than 1-1/2"

I started with a 3/16" and ended with a 5/16"

Then inserted flat blade screwdriver and opened it

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
John

Wow that was simple thanks guys for all the support. Nervously I drilled it out like some suggested can't go wrong now I do see the bracket and bolt for the lock Everett suggested but also there was no way my fat *** would be able to reach it I already installed the old original trunk lock works great. Thank you.
Garfields Maro likes this.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

If it isn't dinged, the original stainless bezel will polish out better than new.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
John

Huh how did you know? It actually has three little dings in it sprayed with wd 40 can really tell the difference between factory mechanism and cheapo aftermarket.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 12:45 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Why else would one replace a perfectly good lock ? A few years ago, repro bezels were available, but I looked around a little just now and couldn't find them. I replaced my trunk lock bezel that way. How 'bout the repro lock you drilled out. Is the bezel salvageable ? Working a small screwdriver around on the back side, you can pry the bezel loose, then crimp it back down on the other lock...

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Brings to mind an incident long ago. Friend Mike thought he locked his keys in the trunk of his Chevelle. In frustration finally took a claw hammer to the trunk lid. Got it opened and found his keys. ....... In his pocket.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Today, 05:41 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Lightbulb Re: key won't turn to open the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
Brings to mind an incident long ago. Friend Mike thought he locked his keys in the trunk of his Chevelle. In frustration finally took a claw hammer to the trunk lid. Got it opened and found his keys. ....... In his pocket.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode