No dash lights.. will there be juice on test light on Grey wire from h - Team Camaro Tech
Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SoCal805

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

No dash lights.. will there be juice on test light on Grey wire from h

No dash lights. Checked fuses, bulbs, reostate switch turned and grounded the instrument cluster in few areas to make sure that was grounded. I get turn signal lights etc. also get juice from pink wire from harness.
I’m tracing the instrument light GREY wire to harness.....any way to tell if that wire or the black are good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: No dash lights.. will there be juice on test light on Grey wire fr

Yes the grey wire powers the dash lights and should be hot when the light switch is pulled
out and the rheostat turned. Probing the grey wire to ground should show power variable
depending on the rheostat position. At least that's the way it works on a 67. I think all
1st gens are the same. There are some videos on youtube showing how to test the switch.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I guess you are dealing with a 69 Camaro ?.

While I do not have diagrams for a Camaro, on the 69 Nova you have a green wire off of the headlight switch that then goes to the fuse block and then past the fuse the wire color turns to a gray.

You could wire up a jumper wire from a fused 12V source in the fuse block and touch it to the gray wire in the instrument panel plug and if it the dash lights come on then you probably have an issue off of the gray wire or the possibly green wire off of the headlight switch.

You can also use a voltmeter to check for power and/or ground.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks Jim! I’m at Napa currently gonna replace headlight switch. Maybe retostathe. I’ll try that too
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

So I tried the jumper from green to grey and nothing happened.... so maybe the headlight switch itself ?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

My parking brake fuse keeps blowing
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Parking light fuse
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69camaro! View Post
So I tried the jumper from green to grey and nothing happened.... so maybe the headlight switch itself ?
Does the green have power ?. If not, then connecting it to the gray will not turn the lights on.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yes. Has power from that green wire. When adding green wire to grey via jumper it’s pops the parking light 10amp fuse
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech

maybe the green wire going into back of INST fuse on fuse block (grey wire coming out) is making contact with the tan +12v wire of the PB switch
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Maybe since dropping the steering column? I’m getting -10.5 A on multimeter readings on all bulbs. They just worked before I removed the instrument housing
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Okay. So that green wire from harness to grey on back of connection grey wire dash lights work!!! When I touch green wire to grey wire on other side of connector my fuse pops. What does this mean?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Green wire to grey dash light wire on connecting harness Lights work!! Now with light harness fully connected grey one side to grey the other and with headlight switch pulled (brand new headlight switch) No lights work and in fact the dash light 10A fuse blows.
I’m confused what to do next?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech

you have a hard ground short on the grey wire post fuse panel. Some dash light somewhere is grounding.

probe each one at every bulb continuity to ground (don't have light switch or key on). If you get continuity from ground to grey wire anywhere....you found the problem
yellow69RS likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69camaro! View Post
Green wire to grey dash light wire on connecting harness Lights work!! Now with light harness fully connected grey one side to grey the other and with headlight switch pulled (brand new headlight switch) No lights work and in fact the dash light 10A fuse blows.
Iím confused what to do next?
First off, this 10A fuse that blows, is it the very short one in the fuse block down low ?. I don't think it should be that large and I'm thinking it should be a 4A or 5A BUT we may be talking about a different fuse. Can toy take a picture of the fuse block and highlight the location of the fuse that is blowing ?.

Like SoCal805 stated, it sounds like a dead short and it may be on the dash light circuit or possibly the parking lights. This is why I'm asking what fuse blew. It seems to me that on the Nova headlight switch you have two battery feed wires to the headlight switch with one of the two being a smaller gauge wire and protected by a fuse in the underdash interior fuse block. GM years ago tied multiple things together and we just need to stay together here to figure out if one fuse is blowing and if it is before the headlight switch or downstream past the headlight switch and protecting the dash light circuit.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode