Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chevyhp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

No power from fuse box to green wire on headlight switch

No power from fuse box to green headlight switch wire. I jumped a positive 12v to grey instrument light wire and all lights worked except the turn signal and indicator lights...
When I attach the headlight switch to harness and pull out knob the headlights work but nothing else and dash light fuse blows. Must be a ground issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 02:32 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: No power from fuse box to green wire on headlight switch

Could be grounds, or a dead short.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Dark green from fuse box should not have power on it until the park light switch is pulled out. It will have varying voltage, through the rheostat in the headlight switch which feeds the green wire power. The green wire supplies power to the inst fuse.
If the inst fuse blows when power is supplied to it, then you have a short circuit in the interior panel illumination circuit (grey wire) instrument cluster, heater control lighting.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

When testing the light sockets with working bulbs the heater control light socket is only one that won’t light up... maybe the issue is this area on the daisy chain?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 06:55 AM
Apprentice

How are you testing lights? You said fuse would blow. I could be wrong but i think they are on same fuse as the brake lights so when you lose dash lights you know brake lights are out. I would think there is a wire when energized by turning on parking or headlights that is going to ground. I would isolate by disconnecting connections untill the fuse does not blow
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
Dale

chevyhp. the brake and instrument lights are not on the same fuse.

You have a short somewhere in the grey wire, bulbs, or sockets on the grey wire.

Remove the bulbs from the sockets. turn light switch off. use a test light that is connected to power. touch the test light probe on the illumination fuse. If the test light lights up, you have a short. Then start looking for it. when the light goes out the short is gone.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 05:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyhp View Post
I could be wrong but i think they are on same fuse as the brake lights so when you lose dash lights you know brake lights are out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale68z View Post
chevyhp. the brake and instrument lights are not on the same fuse.
Chevy hp is almost correct. Stop, turn and tail are commonly on the same fuse and that fuse feeds the dash light rheostat power. So if the Tail light fuse blows, no dash lights.

The OP has said he's blowing a 10 amp fuse. I don't recall if they make on of those short fuses in a 10 amp if he has an original fuse box. No one has suggested he turn the rheostat off and pull the lights on and see if the fuse blows. If that car has an after market radio I'm looking at that first, if a console that connector is next if the short is on a gray wire.

Just my .02
Jeff
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 01:48 PM
Apprentice

Good call on the consol wiring Jeff. Was just at a car show speaking with a guy with same trouble. His short to ground was at the rear consol light under the ash tray.
yellow69RS likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 07:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyhp View Post
Good call on the consol wiring Jeff. Was just at a car show speaking with a guy with same trouble. His short to ground was at the rear consol light under the ash tray.
Different problem for him, he was blowing dome light fuse. I had the gray wire com out of the connector where it goes thru the metal bracket and short out on the bracket bowing the dash light fuse. I've seen so many aftermarket radio grounds connected to the gray wire on GM's I think it used to tell that in the instructions.

Jeff
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for all the help. I removed the wires and found a ground wire was disconnected from my new fuel gauge to tachometer swap in new dash in the instrument pink grey and black wire harness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode