I´m Daniel from Germany, 38 years old and currently thinking to sell my 65 Mustang Fastback (which I restored over the last 5 years) and to buy a Camaro of the first generation.
In Germany we have big Mustang forum but I was suprised that i couldn´t find a Camaro forum so I hope you can help me as well (or even better
). And I hope I´m using the right section of the forum because I didn´t find a section like "general topics".
Here are my questions:
1. I`m prefering the 4-speed manual transmisson because in my Mustang I have 3-speed automatic (Ford C4) and my feeling is that this automatic eats a lot of power and even if I have a long rear axis the third gear is much to short for my taste (e.g. on the Autobahn). Any comments from your side regarding my prefered gearbox?
2. In terms of reliabilty, power delivery, value development: which motor would you prefer? 302 (Z/28) or 350?
3. How is the situation regarding spare parts? For my mustang it is pretty is to get spare parts, no matter if I look for them in Germany or the US.
4. How does the value development look like? Is it currently at a peak and actually not the best time to buy a Camaro or can I expect that the value increases?
5. In my Mustang it was a huge improvement to dam to inner side of the floor panels. Especially in terms of heat reduction. How is the situation with the Camaro? Is it also necessary?
6. What else are the must-do's every Camaro owner should do?
7. I found here in the forum the short buyer´s guide 8 minutes video but maybe you know another more detailed guide for camaro newbies? If not: what are the typical issues of a Camaro?
8. I think I prefer the 69 but are there besides the look any other arguments why I should buy a specific year?
Ok, that´s it for the first step
Hope to hear from you and thanks in advance!