Team Camaro Tech banner

Buying a 68-69 Camaro 350

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  kookykrispy 
#1 ·
Hi Guys new to the club
I am in the market for a 68 or 69 Camaro 350 ss or clone
can you please let me know what I should be asking or looking out for when buying a car like this
I am not looking for a show winning car - I want something I can give and have fun with

Also I have a few questions about upgrades when I do get the car

performance
can you add a supercharger to a factory or crate 350 engine and still keep it under the factory hood. I do not want one of there hoods that have the big hump in the center or have to cu=t the hood

suspension
I would like to upgrade the suspension for a better drive and handling - other then a coil over conversion are there any other options that would be good

and are there any other upgrades I should do to make the Camaro a better driver

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
#1 most important thing is buy the best body you can. Avoid rust. Not sure where in the country you're located, but if in the rust belt, pay attention to the frame rails. Look closely at the tail light and trunk area. Often rear-ended cars don't get repaired properly in this area.

1969 cars are more valuable it seems. I guess its because that is the most popular year. If you're on a budget, consider a 67 or 68.

yes you can add a supercharger that fits under the hood no problem, just look at the centrifugal supercharger setups like vortech or paxton. https://www.jegs.com/i/Vortech/933/4GP218-050L/10002/-1

Suspension: plan on replacing all your suspension bushings, front and rear. Its a big job, but it helps a lot. If you have extra $, go for urethane bushings.

Other upgrades to make a better driver, I would say front disc brakes if not already equipped. Do this during the suspension rebuild.

Other upgrades to make a better driver would include an overdrive trans, upgraded radiator/cooling system, etc. etc. skys the limit just depends on how much money and time you've got to blow!

Welcome to the club

#3 ·
With all due respect to my friend "kookykrispy" (Joe)...

1969 Camaro cars are NOT more valuable than '67's or '68's! Nor are they more popular than 67's or 68's and budget has absolutely nothing to do with whatever year you choose to purchase!!!!

Only one fact should be kept in mind. There were definitely more 1969 Camaro's produced because the model year ran for a year and a half. Maybe that's why you will see more available.

So...in the classic car collector world, ask yourself if lesser built means anything?

#4 ·
OK, I'll bite....the main thing is to buy what you like. A local classic car dealer, very reputable, says the primary factor in a cars value is the condition. You can turn any car into what you want, but if you start with a poorly done car, you will spend 10 times the money to get it right. Buy a car you like, that fits your budget, and allows you to do the upgrades you want without having fix the last 5 owners mistakes and poor quality work. If you have a friend who knows what they are doing,as I'm sure you do also, get second opinions. Also, be aware of the cloning that goes on. Nothing wrong with that UNLESS the car is being sold as an SS or "Z", then you may pay more for a fake car. It's OK, just don't pay "original money". Take your time, and for heavens sake, do not buy an internet car without seeing it. If SS or Z cars are presented, get documentation to prove what it is. If it looks fishy, it likely is. In the end, you will have what you want, and do whatever you want with it. Enjoy it, drive the heck out of it, and welcome to the world of first gen Camaro's!!

#5 ·
First of all welcome to TC and 1st gens. Upgrades are going to depend on the car you buy
to begin with. In other words if you want to make all the upgrades then look for a non modified
car. This may limit your options. When you do make upgrades/changes look for real world
experience. TC is a good source but not the only one. I have found car shows to be a great
resource as you can take pics and talk directly with the owners who have nothing to gain as
a seller would. Don't rely solely on the vendors/manufacturers advertising. They all have the
latest greatest and best. Yes there are options other than coil overs that may work well for you
depending on your desires. Ridetech's Street Grip system has seen high praises here on TC for
one option. Buy the most rust free solid unmolested car you can find/afford. Depending on the
given car if you're looking at a "restored" or "shiny paint" car ask for progress pics.
You really need to know what the car was to start with so you know where to look for repairs, etc.
Good luck.

#8 ·
Welcome, Adam, to the club.
As said, do your homework. Visit camaros.org and read up, suck it all in.
My suggestion is get a notebook and write in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd choices of your future purchase.
Write in what options you would like to see already equipped, body condition, etc., you get the idea.
Next section of notebook is the Camaros you see - go visit - touch, feel, drive, smell, inspect, etc. and note them.
Later, this is where you would mark PRO/CON on equipment she has, or going to install later, body condition, etc.

Also, you're NOT buying the Camaro for MPG as most think they are. You're a buying a classic muscle car. "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

And, for my buddies here - it's a hard job, but someone has to do it - '68 is the correct year, Yes, I know, I have a '67, but she was a helluva deal I could not pass up.
Good luck Don't be afraid in asking questions, you don't learn unless you ask.
Post pictures of anything

#9 ·
FWIW, be careful putting a supercharger on an engine of unknown origin or history, and definitely not on a bone stock 50 year old motor or stock chevy crate motor. forced induction engines should be built from the ground up with boost in mind from the crank, rods, pistons, heads and most of all, cam choice. just buying a nice first gen with what the previous owner tells you has a GM ZZ4, or some other real cool crate motor in it and then thinking you're going to get another usable 40% in horsepower by just throwing a blower on top of or in front of it will have you broke and disappointed.

power breaks parts. make sure the engine, trans, drivetrain are built to handle what you're putting to it or you will spend double in the long run. most 50 yr old factory motors were built with all cast internals and mild cam shafts that will not be able to handle or put to good use even 5-6 lb of boost. most crate motors are purpose built for forced induction or naturally aspirated use. if the previous owner tells you its a crate motor and there's not a blower on it now.....it probably won't like it when you put one on.

do your homework.

#10 ·
OP

What you are looking for is a "modified" 1st gen Camaro. Look for one that has a LSx SC motor in it along with a modern OD automatic upgraded for the power out put and a complete suspension change (front clip, 12 bolt or 9" & 4 link). Done right these are great cars that drive like a modern car

....but you will pay big $ for a well done (read the mechanicals & suspension are compatible & done right vs just a shiny paint job) car

As mentioned just because it may have a fresh "crate motor" (ZZ4) does not mean that motor, let alone anything behind it, is built for a power adder (SC)

#11 ·
The 69 value vers the 67 and 68 gets debated every few months. The proof is in the sales history. Can't argue that. I personally like a little of all of them, but like the 69-72 the best. My opinion. Buy what will keep your interest. A car that will keep you excited to go out and work on or drive. I personally like building them more than driving them. There are definitely builder's and there are driver's. I take my car out on the weekends with my daughter. Like others have suggested buy the best body you can. Most people are better at putting a brake kit or an engine in a car than they are at doing bodywork. Stock engines don't typically like superchargers. Keep that in mind. If you are planning on keeping the car and not making a profit , buy what you want. If you are thinking of an investment, think of mutual funds.

#12 ·
thank you for all your feedback
so I dont need a supercharger I was just assigning thinking that would be a good way to get more pierce with out doing as ls swap
as for the car I am looking for a car that does need work but I dont have to do it all iw - I can drive that car enjoy it and do work over time
I would like to upgrade the car to make it a better driver for today - suspension power brakes power steering if not already in the car as well as other upgrades that will help the drive
power is nice but not the most important
I am looking fr the right car and not in a rush just trying to learn here
thanks

#14 · (Edited)
The 1st gen Camaro is a light vehicle, so a decent small block may be all you really need. You don't need a supercharger and you don't need an LS swap to have a great performing, fun to drive street machine. I run a basic performance 350 that I built myself on a budget: stock pistons & bottom end, iron heads, 9:1 compression, 268HE cam, dual plane manifold, holley carb, long tube headers, dual exhaust, electronic ignition, nothing special really, just all basic SBC bolt-ons that anyone can do. I have less than $1000 total into the engine and it rips! You can always upgrade later, but a good running 350 or 327 is a fine place to start.

#13 ·
Adam :
Welcome to the Camaro world. There are many aspects when buying a 1st gen camaro. I agree with everone's insight. Do your homework and learn about the car, trim tag , model year, etc. It really depends on what you want for the car , to keep it original or to customize it yourself to be what you want. If buying a car with an original engine and transmission , i personally wouldn't mess with them. I would keep them original together (place aside) and buy another block/trans. to play around with, such as adding a booster / turbo. The most important thing is to not over pay and to know what you are looking at as far as getting a good solid body as a foundation. It also depends on your comfort level. I for example can weld and fabricate by trade as well as bodywork/painting. Not to ramble on but I bought a 68 camaro and was told the rear quarters were replaced but once I purchased the car found 1/2 inch of Bondo hiding a bad rear quarter job. If possible have an extra set of eyes to take with you that is knowledgeable with cars , that way things can be looked at from a different perspective. Enjoy the art of shopping around but shop around till you find a car that you can see personally, pics/video hide a lot of BS....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.