Team Camaro Tech banner

Mirrors, Screws, D & R Classics

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  morrisclassic 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
Kinda visiting from the Chevelle site. Been snooping around a bit on this site concerning 68/69 outside driver and passenger mirrors. This is the same mirror that is used on a 69 Chevelle. We all know about the dreaded mirror droop/loose mirror.
Ran across a couple threads where site members said the mirrors they purchased from D & R Classics in the past had screws that they were able to tighten, which are revealed after one removed the glass, to tighten up the strap that rides against the pivoting ball.
I contacted D & R and the person I spoke to had no idea how the mirrors they sell are assembled.
So can anyone confirm that a fairly recent purchase of 68/69 mirrors from D & R Classics has mirrors that are constructed in the above fashion?

#2 ·
Hey guys,
Kinda visiting from the Chevelle site. Been snooping around a bit on this site concerning 68/69 outside driver and passenger mirrors. This is the same mirror that is used on a 69 Chevelle. We all know about the dreaded mirror droop/loose mirror.
Ran across a couple threads where site members said the mirrors they purchased from D & L Classics in the past had screws that they were able to tighten, which are revealed after one removed the glass, to tighten up the strap that rides against the pivoting ball.
I contacted D & L and the person I spoke to had no idea how the mirrors they sell are assembled.
So can anyone confirm that a fairly recent purchase of 68/69 mirrors from D & L Classics has mirrors that are constructed in the above fashion?

Look into mirrors offered by Paragon Corvette Parts house. I bought a pair from them and they are nice and tight good quality. You can also have the glass dated as well, or you can get just buy the glass dated too and use your own units. Mine were MIA on my 69 Z and there were repros on it that just sucked. Check out Paragon...and reasonable.

#5 ·
Gary,
Thanks for responding. I will check those out. Do you happen to know how they are constructed as far as the strap and pivoting ball?

Just had a look at the Paragons on my car and they look like the ones I removed...appear to be very good repros. I don't see any differences comparing old and new, identical. Jeff may be correct on his experience with them, but mine are still very tight, but have only had them a few years. I'm thinking I paid around $60-65 a piece for them, with or without the glass I don't remember off hand. At least these I have are more correct than the garbage that was on my car flopping all over in the wind. As for the OEM, I found it to be a crap shoot in a barrel to find the correct dated ones if that is the way your going. I tried since 2000, ebaying and the like, no dice. I wasn't willing to re-chrome the junk I had either since those were not dated repros as well.

#4 ·
The Paragon mirrors are very nice, except they don't last very long.
In my past experience, the swivel ball comes loose. Happened over and over again - What a pain.

Finally I spent the money and bought NOS GM mirrors - -a LOT more expensive, but I have not had that problem in many years.

For reproduction - -I do recommend the D & R mirrors. I did get the best longevity from those.

#7 · (Edited)
Tried so many different mirrors over the years.
Ended up with the the D&R on my 67 cars for a very long time. They had the Bowtie logo, which was wrong.

When I decided to go 100% correct. I didn't want to chance any Repros. I had used the dated Paragons on my Corvettes for 20+ years, very disappointed in the longevity. They failed just sitting. I remember asking why they couldn't do a better job on the swivel part. The Paragon rep told me "then we will never sell any more mirrors" that's when I decided original only.

edit: in the spirit of transparency: It has been 10 years since I bought a Paragon Mirror.
I always waited for an event where they would sell "blems" I would bring my old dated glass, and buy a new tight base.
I don't thing the defect was in the swivel ball, but I did go through mirrors every 2 years or so - whether I drove the car or not.
maybe they are better now?

#8 ·
The ones on my 69 are going on 3 years. I bought them from Tamaraz. They sell two different kinds. A cheap mirror, and a better one for like $60.00 or so dollars. They are very tight, have the rib on the base, and the dimple by where the ball is. My weather strip is still tight so you have to close the door pretty hard . Would not hesitate buying more .

Reactions: Vega$69
#14 · (Edited)
Ok, here is where this is at. Talked again today with D & R. Explain to Dotty what I was trying to accomplish. Although she still couldn't tell me how they are assembled she did say as far as she knows the only changes that have been ever made was the adding of the rib on the arm of their mirrors and they are supplied by Hugger Performance and always have been. Think Hugger is D & R's own offshore manufacturer. So I ordered a set and hopefully I'll find that they have screws if not I'll send they back and go another way.
Also contacted OER and Scott Drake. Talked to their tech people. Neither of those two use screws . They both use the peened over studs. OER went as far as to say when their gasket (strap) wears out the mirror is non repairable. I'll let you guys know how this shakes out.

#24 ·
Remove the mirror from the car. Place lens down in a small container of gasoline, (outdoors) with enough to cover mirror housing. Glass should fall out when you pick mirror up from an overnight soaking. Make sure you note which was outside on the lens. Wash the lens and housing with dish liquid and soft rag or paper towel.
When you look inside mirror you will see a strap that rides against the pivoting ball. This strap will have two screws holding it on. One at a time, remove the Phillips head screws and give the threads a couple drops of thread locker. Retighten screws. Reinstall lens with 4 pea/marble sized dabs of silicone on the 4 interior posts. Allow that to dry for several hours. Reinstall mirror which will be tight as all get out and good as new.

#18 · (Edited)
#19 ·
I still have the original mirrors. They stay in place while driving but the door mirror will move when door is closed slightly so I have to adjust it when I get in car

One old hack I did many years ago on another car. was use clear nail polish on the exposed ball part. It actually held mirror in place and if it got knocked the nail polish did add "resistance" and kept the mirror in place once re-adjusted when needed.. This hack was otherwise invisible

#25 ·
Another vote here for Morris but i was wanting the convex mirror that Steiner reviewed and they told me they were no longer able to get the convex mirrors :crying:
but these are externally able to be tightened up - :thumbsup:

#22 · (Edited)
A little update. Received the mirrors from D & R classics. Have removed the glass on the passenger side and it does have screws to secure the strap instead of peened over studs. This is great in case mirror ever becomes loose however at present both are nice and tight. Have ordered a convex lens from Rock Auto for $5.00 . It is a K Source 90007. Will post a pic after convex is installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.