Team Camaro Tech banner

Winter Storage and rodent protection?

4K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  hotrodbaker 
#1 ·
How does everyone prevent mice and other rodents from getting in to their cars during winter storage? This will be my first year storing a car in a garage over the winter so I have no clue.

#3 ·
Googling and see some common answers;
Mothballs
Dryer Sheets
Victor snap traps
D-Con
small wads of steel wool inside the pipes
Powdered, pure Sulphur or granular Sulphur
Jack stands – rodents will only be able to access it, if they have super-rodent jumping powers or can pole vault. In addition, to raising up your car, set mouse-traps and use dryer sheets. If you have no pets (or none of your pets have access), you may also choose to set out about 6 little caps of antifreeze. Once you’ve purchased the jack stands, you are able to use them year after year. Also, by backing up this method with the dryer sheets, mouse-traps, and antifreeze, you’ve established a rodent-proof residence for your classic car.

#4 ·
I have a ranch style house with a full basement - the cars are in the basement.

I haven't seen a bug inside for 2 years.

My secret ? The pesticide the pros use, it's safe for indoor use. Kills everything LOL termites, spiders, crickets, on and on

Read the reviews :

Bifen IT is a 7.9% bifenthrin insecticide that kills and controls over 75 different pests. It is the most common professional insecticide in use today. Bifenthrin is very safe to use and does not have an odor or leave a visible residue when applied.
https://www.amazon.com/Bifen-Bifent...rds=generic+talstar+pro&qid=1571447466&sr=8-5

#14 ·
My secret ? The pesticide the pros use, it's safe for indoor use. Kills everything LOL
Now that's funny right there...
I'll stick with a couple of dryer sheets. No way for mothballs. Mice eat them and they stink up the interior something awful... And no way for traps. Let's say you set one today and it works tonight then don't see that it worked for a few weeks. Mmmmm... smells good.

#5 ·
I focus on keeping them out of the garage. Keep all doors closed at all times this time of year especially. Seal any openings that they can get through. Make sure the garage door seals tight to the floor.

As a secondary line of defense I use those black triangle shaped bait stations with bait blocks.

Don

#6 · (Edited)
For prolonged periods with the windows up and/or humid conditions, I'd recommend a desiccant for the interior and trunk. I've used "Dry-Z-Air for years, 1 container in the trunk and 3 in the cabin. Last from November- April without refilling. Here's another type I was tempted to try as it's a bit less expensive...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Damp-Rid-R...42-oz-Bag-Musty-Odor-Air-Cleaner/143389432820 , but doesn't sound like it would last as long...?

BTW, I'm not sure jackstands would be high enough for the deer mice we have. Also called kangaroo mice for reason ! ;)Old fashion snap traps with bait or poison (pellets) if you don't pets.

#7 ·

Seal off your cherry ride from the elements with the CarCapsule Indoor Vehicle Storage System
Delivers all-around protection against dust, scratches, nicks, bugs, rust, moisture, rot and more
12V high-pressure fan exchanges air 3-4 times per hour, keeping your vehicle dry, odorless and rust free
Made from transparent 10-mil PVC that’s anti-static, double-polished and radio frequency-welded
Its heavy-duty 18 oz Herculite base is impervious to oil, gas and antifreeze, for no leaks over the long haul
Fully resistant to abrasions, mildew and flames for years of dependable protection
Closes up with a 100% nylon zipper that won’t scratch your ride's finish
Available in a host of sizes to protect your investement
CarCapsule Indoor Vehicle Storage System is backed by a 1-year warranty

#8 · (Edited)
For winter storage I use the Carjacket CarBag combined with several desiccant packs. The CarJacket zips and seals around your vehicle. It protects from rust, corrosion, moisture, dust, dirt, and insects. After weeks or months of storage, your vehicle will come out as pristine as it went in. Cost for bag approx. $250. I have used it since 2013 and in my opinion it's convenient, works as advertised and was money well spent!

Frequently Asked Questions taken from their website.
Can Mice chew through the material? Sure, they can chew through almost anything. Since they cannot smell or see anything in the bag, there is no reason for them to do it. The CarBag is probably the most effective deterrent to mice available, 99% effective, but not 100%.

https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/

Attachments

#9 ·
I don’t see those storage bags as being rodent proof. Quite the opposite imho....

Don

#10 ·
I don’t see those storage bags as being rodent proof. Quite the opposite imho....

I respect your opinion Don and you are correct there not "rodent proof". I nor the mfg. ever claimed they were but they are "99% effective". In an effort to protect my investment not only from rodents but the #1 killer unwanted moisture & corrosion I'll take those odd's all day long. Just saying it's an affordable and legit option to consider. Link below to more frequently asked questions and you be the judge.

https://www.carbag.com/faq/#toggle-id-18-closed

Reactions: flat tire
#13 ·
Like others have already mentioned, first step is to keep them out. I never leave the doors open.

I have a professional exterminator set bait traps throughout the garage.

I store my vehicles on the ground (not sure about suspension sitting on jack stands) sitting on the insulation stuff they put on the outside of new houses to stop flat spots.

Put a battery tender on it.

Fill gas tank and put Stabil in it.

Put a cover on it.

Say goodnight until spring. But not until the first time they salt the roads

#19 ·
I hate snakes. Geez
Copperheads will try to get away and stay away unless you threaten them.
Rattle snakes will warn you not to mess with them
Coral snakes would have to bite you between the fingers or toes.
Water Moccasins will come after your A$$
Others will just make you hurt yourself.
The Rat Snake I removed from the house almost seemed like some ones pet. Not aggressive at all. Let it go in the flood control ditch.

#24 ·
…..well here in SoCal we get to drive the cars all year :)

But when I was a kid my Dad, we lived in upstate NY, would put his car up on blocks (under tires) and used baking sheets under the tires

Kind of like the one post where he used large buckets to put jack stands in....make something the little f ers can't climb up and into the car

Cats, Koons...another problem

#25 ·
Ha, Ha, Haaa, here in AZ we just drive them all winter, tiz the season! Store in summer to dam hot to drive them. Also we have no rodents and the lizards don't seem to bother my cars while eating all the bugs. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.