Team Camaro Tech banner

Any interest in a modern leak proof vacuum relay for RS headlights?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mccorry 
#1 ·
I've been frustrated with the leaking spools on the original and reproduction 1968-1969 RS vacuum relays. These are non-serviceable units that cause vacuum leaks which result in slow or impaired operation of the vacuum RS headlights in 1968-1969 models.

I finally worked around and found an alternative. It is an electrically fired (12V) industrial grade stainless steel spool with buna O-rings that is rated for full vacuum.
I left my factory RS relay in place and tucked the new unit under the relay to hide it, then routed the vacuum hose to the new MAC relay. I wired it to local ground and then the supply from the common hot wire off the brights switch (on the floorboard).

It works great, the lights operate quickly (as designed), and I don't have anymore constant vacuum leak to the engine.

Anyone interested in this? I had to buy a few relays to try and have a few left over to sell.
I'll post some photos later if there is any interest.

#6 ·
Very interesting Steve.

So looking at the pics;

The unit appears to be a four way spool and one port is sealed and not used?
Is the "override" on the OEM still used?
Since you used the low/high beam power feed, are those still operational? ...or can another power feed be used?
And is the RS light switch still used? Functional?

Maybe I'm not understanding how it operates...? I've included a diagram. Can you show or explain how it works?

I recently bought new hoses and I planned on getting my vacuum system up and running this winter. I'm using my original tank, "spool" valve, and a repop RS light switch. (I replaced the original one years ago due to electrical gremlins elsewhere)

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
All 4 ports on the spool are used. One is vacuum supply to the unit from the engine. One is a filtered fresh air Inlet to the actuators. The other two go to the front and back of the actuators. When vacuum is applied to the front, the fresh air is allowed to go into the back. Vice versa on the other direction.

The solenoid is switched on 12 volt from the headlight switch. The stock vacuum relay still there, but doesn't do anything with the light covers. The 12 volt supply to the switch is off the common, so the doors are open with both standard and brights.

#9 ·
Thanks, Jim. If no interest here, I might sell the other units on Ebay or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.