Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Problem with new pulley ???

I have two pulleys on my harmonic balancer. First is the double pulley GM p/n 3744043 for the alternator and smog pump. And in front of that and sandwiched against it, GM p/n 3751232 for the power steering pump.

After having my pulleys sandblasted, I found there was a one inch crack in the alternator groove of the double pulley (3744043) and fatigued metal extending from the crack in both directions. I also found that it was slightly warped. I'm not putting that back on

I saw that this pulley (3744043) was still available from GM Parts Direct, AC Delco p/n 03744043 and ordered one.

The new pulley seems fine and it actually slightly heavier than the original but there is one difference and I don't know if this is going to be a problem or not. My photos will help explain this.

The lip on the front edge of the new pulley sticks out 1/16 of an inch further forward than the original pulley. Because the power steering pump pulley is sandwiched against the new pulley, if I use this new pulley, the power steering pump pulley will be pushed 1/16 inch forward. There isn't much distance between my crankshaft pulleys and the power steering pump pulley. There's only about 6 inches of belt between them that isn't contacting either pulley. So my question is......if I use this new pulley, can that 1/16th misalignment across such a short distance be a problem.....like wearing the power steering pump bearings? Perhaps it's no big deal but I want to be sure.

I know original pulleys are available on Ebay but I would worry about possible getting another one that was fatigued.

Thanks…...Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Re: Problem with new pulley ???

I don't think 1/16 will matter. But, I don't like the lip on the 2 groove pushing the single groove forward. I would remove some of the lip on the new pulley.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Sixteenth-inch isn't bad, but, if losing sleep over it, you could flat washer the pump brackets-to-block moving the pump forward - not the pulley already on the shaft.
Its not the lips of the pulleys being aligned, but the sheaves, what the belts ride be aligned.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

Last edited by Everett#2390; Jan 14th, 20 at 04:37 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Like Everette said you have to keep the belts aligned (about the only use I have ever found for my Sears "our finest" laser level). You can actually put a rule against the middle of the belt and measure how much you need to shim it.

I would not cut that lip down as it was put there to add strength to the pulley (works the same way angle iron works).

Big Dave
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

The base of the power steering pulley bottoms out on the double pulley base. If the lip held it out 1/16", they would not seat correctly.
Farm Boy and allanjs like this.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 04:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

It looks to me like it will be fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the back pulley fit completely inside and seat on the inside face making that lip cantilever over?
You can easily figure it out with a tape measure by taking an overall of the pulley's together.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 06:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
The base of the power steering pulley bottoms out on the double pulley base. If the lip held it out 1/16", they would not seat correctly.
What he said.

If the single pulley isn't seated fully at the base, you have a problem. When you torque the bolts down, it will distort and eventually fail.
allanjs likes this.

Lynn
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Thanks for all the replies.

I should have mentioned this in my original post but what Scott said about the wider lip on the new double pulley causing the single pulley not to seat properly inside the double pulley is true. When you set the single pulley inside the new double pulley and pull them tight together, there is a 3/64 in gap between the bases of the pulleys. They should actually be contacting each other (see the photo). Despite that gap, the two large holes in the single pulley will still engage the raised lip of the corresponding holes in the double pulley. And yes, I believe that when you tighten the pulley mounting bolts, because of that 3/64 gap between the bases of the pulleys, you are going to distort the pulley.

So I guess my choices are:

1) Send this new double pully back and take my chances on a used one.

2) Have the wider lip on the new pulley machined down to the same width as the original.

3) Use the new double pulley and shim the lower power steering pump mounting bracket so that the power steering pump pulley lines up with the matching pulley on the harmonic balancer.......But I would also have to put washers in-between the double pulley and the single pulley where the mounting bolts pass through them to fill that 3/64 gap so there would be no distortion when tightening.

I'm not sure what the best way is......that might be decided by what a machine shop would charge to trim the lip down on the double pulley.

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 04:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daven1256 View Post

I'm not sure what the best way is......that might be decided by what a machine shop would charge to trim the lip down on the double pulley.
No Need for a machine shop. All you need is one of these and about 3 minutes of your time

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-H4230C-.../dp/B00MZZY57W

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Are we over-thinking this event?
It's merely remove & replace as taken off.
Is the thickness from the last sheave to pulley mounting surface the same distance?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 06:20 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
What he said.

If the single pulley isn't seated fully at the base, you have a problem. When you torque the bolts down, it will distort and eventually fail.
This.....

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Very true, remove and take note of disassembly and replace in reverse order.
Make sure all tabs fit into their assigned holes and pulleys fit like before they were removed and tighten the bolts.
Start engine and inspect belts/pulleys as they all work, in alignment, no squealing, and pulleys are straight themselves - no wobbling.
Done, clean up and enjoy an adult drink.

'
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 07:13 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Very true, remove and take note of disassembly and replace in reverse order.
Make sure all tabs fit into their assigned holes and pulleys fit like before they were removed and tighten the bolts.
Start engine and inspect belts/pulleys as they all work, in alignment, no squealing, and pulleys are straight themselves - no wobbling.
Done, clean up and enjoy an adult drink.
It doesn’t fit. It doesn’t seat properly on the base.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 08:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

This will eventually fail. The pulleys were designed to nest together. If they don't the assembly will be unstable.
Everett#2390 and dhutton like this.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

True, one has to fit or nest - I like this word Farm Boy - then figure out why and take appropriate action.
Get another pulley or modify the one in hand.
I would not repair original pulley - it will be out of balance and may become wobbly when welded.
PS pulley fits over tabs on crank pulley - holes too small, drill/mill them out to size.

What am I missing, Guys?

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode