Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By KevinW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Rally wheels

Hi. New member. I want to replace my stock steel rims with rally wheels on 67 convertible. It does not have disc brakes and I don't want to do the conversion at this time. I want to stay with the 14 inch. I"m searching for used wheels but need a little help before making the purchase. 68-69 rally wheels appear to be different. My questions are:

1. Can I use a newer wheel
2. will the smaller flat cap fit the newer wheel
3. will the backing depth interfere with the turning ratio or cause tire rub
4. Can I use a disc brake wheel on a drum brake
5. Do you think the XG rally wheel will work
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 09:26 AM
Kevin

Re: Rally wheels

Ron, Funny! and Welcome! I want to do the exact opposite on my 69 Vert (drum brakes), swap out the XN rallys with some FC painted steel wheels

Here is a good read on Camaro wheels: Camaro Chassis - Suspension, Axle, Brakes, & Wheels

Your 67 could have come with 14x5 or 14x6 steel wheels or the same sized for Rallys (disc). The main difference is the rim contour. Disc rims have a different shape to clear the caliper then the drum version. So you can put a disc wheel on a drum car, but not a drum wheel on a disc car (Caliper will hit inside of rim).

1. All the "new" wheels are the disc profile, so not worries about using them on your drum 67.

2. The smaller flat cap with "inside" clips are designed to fit all 70's GM type rally wheel.

3,5. not sure what the backspace specs are, but the XG will work fine (68 Camaro disc 14x6)

4. Yes you can, see above

Not sure where you are, but if you are close to NJ, send me a PM

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Click on the links, Ron. https://www.camaros.net/forums/20-ca...post1783188453

Bottom line, YES, the wheels are interchangeable and will work fine for your application.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Jan 17th, 20 at 11:01 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thank you both for your help. You can't always be sure when you ask the seller if they'll work. I had a feeling most of the rally wheels would fit but no harm confirming it. Now I'll have to decide if the rally wheels are worth the investment.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Kevin, why would you switch the rallys for the steel wheels?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 06:33 AM
Kevin

Ron, the rallys have been on my vert for 20 years, just looking for something different

R/T likes this.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode