Team Camaro Tech banner

Help me identify this

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Everett#2390 
#1 ·
When I started my tear down it was not supposed to be a tear down so some of the initial things that came off were not well labels. I ended up with this bolt and sleeve and I am not sure where it goes. I pulled the engine out, replaced it with a crate motor. I also put in a new subframe and upgraded to tubular control arms. I took everything off the front of the car except the fenders and wiper motor. This bolt is about 3.5" long an larger diameter than the typical 5/6" stuff that is common in the car.

I have the new engine in with the trans mounted. Alternator on, z-bar reinstalled. The car didn't have AC, power brakes or steering when I started. I can see wear on the sleeve like something has been moving around it and their appears to be a white chalky corrosion on the bolt itself.

Any hints?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Opps, typo. Yeah, I meant to type 5/16" but that was wrong as well and mean 3/8" that is common for things like the intake and headers. Just giving a frame of reference.

#6 ·
Nope, that is installed. That was a much longer bolt and smaller diameter with the 3/8" threads that fit the accessories holes on the heads. And the sleeve appears to be more of a bushing than a spacer as it seems to have wear marks on it.

#5 ·
Looks fine thread. I would say exhaust if it was course thread. Maybe something someone used to hold an engine bracket or something.

Reactions: Bruce1968
#7 ·
Yes, it is fine thread. And I only have one of them. I am thinking maybe it is something with the hood latch. I looked at the assembly manual this morning and didn't spot anything similar.

#11 ·
No markings on the head. Given that some previous owner used a finish nail instead of a cotter pin to hold the clutch pedal linkage to the z-bar, non original is entirely possible. And, I do know the car had front end damage because that's why I had to replace the subframe. It was sitting on my bench next to a smaller diameter bolt of similar length. My guess after discussing with you guys is these were used for the core support to subframe. I replaced to body mounts with Global West stuff and it came with core support mounts as well so if that's what it is, I am good.

#13 ·
Thanks. That's not the same thing but close in general size.

#16 ·
Pretty much the plan.

#18 ·
Nope

#22 ·
I thought that originally too, but the OP said it didn't have power steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.