Team Camaro Tech banner

Larger journals???

880 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Chris Davis 
#1 ·
I recently met a guy from Pennslyvania and he owns a 70 -1/2 Camaro Z28. He says it has the original Lt-1 Motor in it. OK, heres where it gets interesting. He comes into work one day and we start chating about his car. He gets on the subject of how his car pushes close to 9 grand like its nothing. Most motors of the caliber I wouldn't see going much over 6.5 to 7 grand at most. He says its because it has larger bearing journals than most motors. Is this a buch of b/s or what?? The car only has a factory tach so I suspect it could be the culprit. Any info??

#2 ·
I've run 302s to 9, I know people running them above 10 grand, but a 350? I doubt it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but why would you even if you could? The 350 is capable of making plenty of power down much lower. I'd be suspect of his tach. He may really think he's turning 9 grand, but I seriously doubt it. The bearing journals have nothing to do with it reving higher.

#3 ·
Thats exactly what I was thinking, but there isn't much I can do to prove him wrong other than taking the time to hook up another tachometer. I think I'll just let that one rest now that someone else has backed me up on this one. Thanks for your input.

#4 ·
JLD,
That's probably best. Sometimes people get an idea in their head they may not fully understand, but believe it's true. I've had some really interesting discussions with other die hard Chevy guys over the years, some I still don't understand where the person was coming from to have developed their conclusions. I argued with a guy over which was the better trans a Muncie or saginaw. He felt the Saginaw was superior. He's the first person I've talked to that felt that way, but understnad he had a Saginaw in his 77 Camaro and I had a Muncie in my 69 at the time. I've also had someone try to explain why he felt solid lifters were no good in the rain! I'm still at a loss 25 years later to begin to understand where he was coming from.
Dave

#5 ·
Well, my 70 1/2 RS/Z28 wouldn't like anything over about 7200.
Once while I was involved in little stoplight dance with a Mus***g, the streets were wet, hit 2nd gear....all I remember was the AutoMeter tach over 8 grand, and then a large amount of disturbing noise under the hood.

Upon inspection,I was horrified to see many of the pushrods sticking clean through the rocker arms...
That was about the time I decided to go with a hydraulic cam and roller rockers....

Too see what it looks like now:~~V~~ http://www.members.aol.com/performancespecs/images/img_0004.jpg

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
Pro-Touring.com DropTop
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 10-23-2001).]

#6 ·
maybe he has a 6 cylinder tach?(did they make those?) i had a 350 in my vega, and had the stock 4 cylinder tach hooked up.that was neat. the tach said it idled at 2000, and cruised at 5000 at 60. people thought i had these insane gears, but the tach just read twice actual rpm.revved real fast, too.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

#8 ·
Actually, I've ridden with him. Me and another one of my friends rode with him one day. My friends says the tach got up to 6.5 grand and the car was pulling strong the whole time the guy kicked it, so I'm certain it was his tach. Don't get me wrong the car is nice, but I just wasn't going to believe this guy's crap that he just knows is the truth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.