Dash and Firewall Install Sequence - Team Camaro Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 14, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Dash and Firewall Install Sequence

I am finally starting to install my interior and would like to know a detailed install sequence as I don't recall the exact order of my disassembly and I am converting from a column shift automatic with no gauges to a manual 4 speed on the floor with console and gauges.

Here is the present state of the car.

All info would be greatly appreciated.

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 14, 12:32 PM
Kevin

Re: Dash and Firewall Install Sequence

Sound deadener, firewall pad, Kick panels, astro ducts, brake pedal support, defroster duct, heater with controls, main electrical harness, dash cluster, e-brake, radio, dash pad, ash tray, glove box door, glove box. Then work on rockers, carpet and console, I think that is it test fit everything, make sure all electrical components are working before closing up the dash pad.
TinIndian likes this.

Kevin

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 14, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Sound deadener, firewall pad, Kick panels, astro ducts, brake pedal support, defroster duct, heater with controls, main electrical harness, dash cluster, e-brake, radio, dash pad, ash tray, glove box door, glove box. Then work on rockers, carpet and console, I think that is it test fit everything, make sure all electrical components are working before closing up the dash pad.
Thanks Kevin. That is exactly the info I was looking for. Looking like I will have to go back and remove a few things I already installed.

Not too bad only these parts have been installed so far.

My Build Thread

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 14, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

subscribed

1969 X66 PROJECT:

2002 C5 COUPE ELECTRON BLUE SOLD
1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL SOLD
1964 CHEVY II 406 SOLD
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 14, 08:17 PM
Kevin

The e-brake cable can stay, remove the main harness, accel and speedo cable, they will make the firewall pad and carpet install much harder. Install the speedo cable just before you install the dash cluster. The accel pedal is installed after carpet is in.

Kevin

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 14, 09:15 PM

Kevin, what is the reason to install the Kick Panels that early in the process? I had assumed they go in after the carpet to cover the edge of the carpet?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Mocked up the firewall pad and it fits pretty good considering I heard they don't fit very well. I have it bolted in right now while I mock up everything else. Once I test fit everything and make sure that everything fits correctly I will install it with the rubber mounting fasteners. The kit comes with these hard plastic units. They look quite different than the originals. So far very minimal trimming and cutting. All of the holes line up in the correct spots as well. The only hole that was not already cut or perforated was the speedo cable. Also the hole for the accelerator rod does not line up perfectly. I had to modify slightly.

My Build Thread

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 06:17 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alversonk View Post
Kevin, what is the reason to install the Kick Panels that early in the process? I had assumed they go in after the carpet to cover the edge of the carpet?
The kick panels are a pain to install, you need to install them first so you have room to work (remember to replace the Dum-Dum putty for a good seal). Pass side is "almost" impossible with the heater installed. By doing them early, you save yourself a bunch of skinned knuckles and cursing. The carpet is "tucked" under the kick panels (and firewall pad) later.

Certain other things are more flexible, like the ebrake, once the firewall pad and drivers kick panel is done, the ebrake can go in, or you can wait until carpet is done, since that is easy to install.

There are some little things that I did not mention, but get installed during the main electric harness step. high beam switch, flasher that gets mounted to the dash support, ebrake light, plug from main to rear harness, ground leads, basically anything that gets plugged in or screwed to the body frame.

Some tips, NOW is the time to take a close look at the rubber seals for the kick panel vents, defroster duct, heater box and astro vents! Replace them with weather resistant rubber before you install them. Finding out later that they are letting in all this air flow is very time consuming to replace later. I used sheet rubber/foam goods from Mcmaster and cut my own, the repro kits are a joke.

Also inspect your astro vents for any cracked or broken lines, now is the time to fix or replace these too! And replace the chrome astro vent louvers too

Kevin

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 06:39 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

It's easier to R&R the LH kick without the e-brake cable protruding.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 08:39 AM

Quote:
The kick panels are a pain to install, you need to install them first so you have room to work (remember to replace the Dum-Dum putty for a good seal). Pass side is "almost" impossible with the heater installed. By doing them early, you save yourself a bunch of skinned knuckles and cursing. The carpet is "tucked" under the kick panels (and firewall pad) later.

Certain other things are more flexible, like the ebrake, once the firewall pad and drivers kick panel is done, the ebrake can go in, or you can wait until carpet is done, since that is easy to install.

There are some little things that I did not mention, but get installed during the main electric harness step. high beam switch, flasher that gets mounted to the dash support, ebrake light, plug from main to rear harness, ground leads, basically anything that gets plugged in or screwed to the body frame.

Some tips, NOW is the time to take a close look at the rubber seals for the kick panel vents, defroster duct, heater box and astro vents! Replace them with weather resistant rubber before you install them. Finding out later that they are letting in all this air flow is very time consuming to replace later. I used sheet rubber/foam goods from Mcmaster and cut my own, the repro kits are a joke.

Also inspect your astro vents for any cracked or broken lines, now is the time to fix or replace these too! And replace the chrome astro vent louvers too
Thank you! The more I thought about the order you described the more the kick panel early in the order made sense. My knuckles thank you!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 09:42 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
It's easier to R&R the LH kick without the e-brake cable protruding.
You are probably right on that one, I do remember a little cursing to get that installed with it protruding. thanks! I did trim the water diversion ridges a little on the inner portion of the kick panel to make sliding the kick panel into the vent hole a little easier.

Kevin

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Make Sure you install the Upper Speedo Cable Clip thats located about 2" to the passenger side of the speedo cable grommet, it is impossible to bend the tabs over once the pad is installed. You will also have to modify the repo clips around a 3/8" bolt so they hold the cable tite.
Upper defrost duct should be 1 of the first things in next. You should also drill and install the oil line grommet.
The repo pad soft rubber retainers are junk also, as are the hard plastic ones, they just shatter. I have had some luck lubricating the hard retainers and then using a piece of wooden dowel and a hammer to drive them in place. Have extras as they break easily. The repo soft ones are just as bad in that they pull out and dont hold the mat properly.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:

Thanks Kevin, this is all great info. At what point did you install the Steering column and pedal assembly.

My Build Thread

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszmjt View Post
Make Sure you install the Upper Speedo Cable Clip thats located about 2" to the passenger side of the speedo cable grommet, it is impossible to bend the tabs over once the pad is installed. You will also have to modify the repo clips around a 3/8" bolt so they hold the cable tite.
Upper defrost duct should be 1 of the first things in next. You should also drill and install the oil line grommet.
The repo pad soft rubber retainers are junk also, as are the hard plastic ones, they just shatter. I have had some luck lubricating the hard retainers and then using a piece of wooden dowel and a hammer to drive them in place. Have extras as they break easily. The repo soft ones are just as bad in that they pull out and dont hold the mat properly.
Great advice Mike. I plan on following your tips next. I have ordered the speedo clips as I forgot about them. I also I have about 4 original rubber retainers. Do you recall how many I need. Heart Beat City has some rubber units for sale.

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...967-1968-1969/

My Build Thread

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 07:00 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28freak View Post
Thanks Kevin, this is all great info. At what point did you install the Steering column and pedal assembly.
You can install the pedals along with the bracket (just don't hook them up until after the carpet is done, so you can wire them up out of the way). Steering column can be after the carpet too, there are pros and cons to either way.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode