Repairing 67 remote driver's door mirror - Team Camaro Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 17, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Michael

Repairing 67 remote driver's door mirror

I bought an aftermarket mirror for the interim, while trying to fix my original remote mirror. It has already broken, sigh. I finally bought a new round mirror glass and broke out the old mirror today. I have all three brass wire ends, thank god. I have looked all around and can't find replacements, has anyone fixed theirs and have a solution to re-working the old pieces or a place to buy 3 new ones. They are rounded to fit in the mirror backing on one half and then crimped closed on the wire cables. I have gotten one of them re-open by tapping the crimped part. Not so on the others though. I don't think I can drill out a new hole, too small.

Not sure if anyone can remake new ones or some shop that can do that?

thanks for any help

Michael
67 SS350 Coupe, owned for 30 years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 17, 03:55 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Repairing 67 remote driver's door mirror

Michael - Welcome to Team Camaro. Drop by the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself and your car.

How did the aftermarket mirror break - cable or glass?

We have quite a few mirror restoration posts in the archives but I didn't see any repairing remote cables.
Lots of repairing or tightening manual mirrors, or gluing new glass on top of old broken glass, or removing glass.
That doesn't mean it hasn't been done but it may take a few days to get the right response and advice.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 17, 03:47 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

You can buy a used mirror for parts or you can pry open the cable ends swap out the parts and re-sodder the cable ends back in place. You can't purchase individual mirror pieces. If you get a newer used mirror with a longer cable, route the cable clear of everything inside the door and hold it in place with Velcro.

67 RS/SS 350, M21, 3:70 POSI, Hooker side mount headers, blue dot tail lights. owner since 1974.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 17, 12:56 PM
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS67Camaro View Post
I bought an aftermarket mirror for the interim, while trying to fix my original remote mirror. It has already broken, sigh. I finally bought a new round mirror glass and broke out the old mirror today. I have all three brass wire ends, thank god. I have looked all around and can't find replacements, has anyone fixed theirs and have a solution to re-working the old pieces or a place to buy 3 new ones. They are rounded to fit in the mirror backing on one half and then crimped closed on the wire cables. I have gotten one of them re-open by tapping the crimped part. Not so on the others though. I don't think I can drill out a new hole, too small.

Not sure if anyone can remake new ones or some shop that can do that?

thanks for any help

Michael
67 SS350 Coupe, owned for 30 years now.
I got an OER remote mirror and it was broken right out of the box with those soldered ends coming off the mirror glass base, I'll have to spend a couple of hours on it trying to see if I can get a hook into the little holes in the base and solder the wires to the base.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode