2Likes
  • 1 Post By Larger Dave
  • 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

replacing vin number and tag

I've stripped the car down to the bones, replaced all the sheet metal and now I need to reinstall the vin and tag. Do I need to just pop rivet the new vin and tag in or is there a more correct way? The car isn't even close to being original, LS, overdrive, fuel injected, 4 link etc, so I'm not worried about it being factory spec. However I don't want it to be a hack job.

Untitled by zboss86, on Flickr

My Mistress rebuild...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zboss86; Aug 12th, 18 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: replacing vin number and tag

VIN tag needs to go back in the original place. You used to be able to buy the original hollow rivets that the factory used on line. But I don't know if you can find them any more.

As to the cowl tag you can buy a custom stamped one that lists all of your options (even specifying an LS-x engine) if you want, As custom cowl tags are fairly common and it isn't illegal to remove, alter, or replace them the way it is with a VIN tag.

You where not kidding when you said you took it down to bare bones.

Big Dave
zboss86 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 09:31 AM
John

Garage

Most will tell you to weld in the cut out pieces.

I do not install the Cowl Tags on by Protour Smooth Firewall cars. Nobody has even asked. I give it to them with the rest of the docs when they buy the car.

The proper rosette and vin tag rivets all sold all over ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-1-Pair-N...te+Rivets.TRS0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-67-69-C...itleDesc=0%7C0
zboss86 likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
VIN tag needs to go back in the original place. You used to be able to buy the original hollow rivets that the factory used on line. But I don't know if you can find them any more.

As to the cowl tag you can buy a custom stamped one that lists all of your options (even specifying an LS-x engine) if you want, As custom cowl tags are fairly common and it isn't illegal to remove, alter, or replace them the way it is with a VIN tag.

You where not kidding when you said you took it down to bare bones.

Big Dave

Yeah, I was thinking there were different style rivets to use. I saw another post about it a long time ago, but I can't find it. I'll look into it. I was going to butt weld it in place, but forgot. I have everything semi painted, I guess I still could on the vin. But since this is one of the most common rusted spots on these cars, it's got to be common thing to replace.

Didn't know that about the custom cowl tag, I over did the sand blaster on this one and it's hard to read. If I replaced it, I'd just want to go back with what it says now. It's nothing special, hell I don't even know if it's a V6 or V8 car.

My Mistress rebuild...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Most will tell you to weld in the cut out pieces.

I do not install the Cowl Tags on by Protour Smooth Firewall cars. Nobody has even asked. I give it to them with the rest of the docs when they buy the car.

The proper rosette and vin tag rivets all sold all over ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-1-Pair-N...te+Rivets.TRS0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-67-69-C...itleDesc=0%7C0

thanks, rosette is the word I was looking for... Brain fart, couldn't remember what it was called.

My Mistress rebuild...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 18, 04:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

I used original style rivets on my 68 restoration...Turned out pretty good I think...

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 18, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

I found a thread on how to reuse the original rivets on the vin, those dudes are pricey. I'll buy some for the cowl tag once I figure out if I want to have it remade or reuse the one I have.

My Mistress rebuild...

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 18, 05:25 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss86 View Post
I found a thread on how to reuse the original rivets on the vin, those dudes are pricey. I'll buy some for the cowl tag once I figure out if I want to have it remade or reuse the one I have.
On the VIN Tag the tag is attached to the plate that is then riveted to the dash. Once the dash pad is installed the rivets are not visible so in reality you can use a regular pop rivet.

Personally after all the work you've done what's another $50 for the proper fasteners?

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 18, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

The trim tag rivets can be pushed out from the backside while still leaving them neatly attached to the TT, then simply reinstall the TT. Most will drill, bend or otherwise destroy the rivets and/or the TT. New TT rivets are installed by simply using a tapered punch to flare the backsides. Too bad about the sandblasting damage. Your VIN interpretation is here: Camaro VIN, Cowl Tag, and other Numbers Decoding

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode