Looking for shops on the west coast that sell restored roller body - Team Camaro Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Chris

Garage
Looking for shops on the west coast that sell restored roller body

Hey guys. my first post but not new to Camaros. Had a 69 for 10yrs that I lost in a fire (I know...sucks). I'm looking for a new project because it's been a while and I've got the fever again! Looking into buying a clean 1969 roller (as rust free as possible) but want a titled car (not a Year One, Dynacorn, etc car). Not opposed to them but worried about registering it in CA where I live. Plus I want some car history if possible. My question is..does anyone know of a shop or restorer that puts together clean 1969 Camaro rollers on the west coast? I've been looking into a couple of people on the east coast but the shipping is crazy so checking to see if there's someone not too far away. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160218_141459-1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	224737  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 05:17 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Looking for shops on the west coast that sell restored roller body

I know you're talking west coast, but you might want to look up Muscle Car Metal in Seabrook, NH. Tony is a great guy and does some beautiful work. I have a house not far from his shop. He's a straight shooter and sometimes that's worth the extra shipping cost.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech
James

The reason all the rebuilt rollers are on the east coast is because that is where they all rusted to the point of being nearly worthless.
You would be better off looking in your own back yard and paying a little more for a cleaner west coast car.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 07:38 AM
John

Garage

Rollers in good shape are hard to find and the shops that offer them on occasion want a ton.

Imho you’re better buying a solid complete car. Problem with rollers are they are missing all the small parts that really add up.

I like to buy project cars that guys have dumped a lot of time an money on and for different reasons have decided to sell. Can be bought for 50 cents on the dollar.
HawkX66 likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Ragtop View Post
The reason all the rebuilt rollers are on the east coast is because that is where they all rusted to the point of being nearly worthless.
This is true, but the part of the equation that you're missing is that they are basically new bodies. Like Dynacorn, but better and they have a regular title etc.
John has a very valid point also. When you buy a roller, you'll be nickel and dimed to death on every nut and bolt and interior part etc. At least you know for sure the body is solid though and that's where a ton of guys go wrong IMO.

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I agree with John and Dave. Even if you buy a running and driving car that seems complete
be prepared for surprises. There can be missing items and often electrical gremlins. As was
said the small stuff adds up fast.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Chris

Garage

thanks guys. I did email Tony in NH and the shipping was a lot not to mention 22k for a 69 roller! but yea he really seems like a nice guy. Even out here rollers are expensive and yes they are rusty too. Was really hoping there was someone like Tony from Musclecar Metal out here so I could get a closer look at their shop before I buy. I've been through a build on a 69 and I don't mind buying the smaller bolts and parts (or wiring) because I'd rather not have an interior I don't like or wiring that's a huge gremlin. All new sounds good to me just want rust free and not much on the startup cost (under 15k and closer to me). You guys are awesome...thanks again!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 07:46 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Just be patient and persistent with what you want. It's out there you just have to find it! Best of luck!
treetop12101 likes this.

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 04:04 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetop12101 View Post
thanks guys. I did email Tony in NH and the shipping was a lot not to mention 22k for a 69 roller! but yea he really seems like a nice guy. Even out here rollers are expensive and yes they are rusty too. Was really hoping there was someone like Tony from Musclecar Metal out here so I could get a closer look at their shop before I buy. I've been through a build on a 69 and I don't mind buying the smaller bolts and parts (or wiring) because I'd rather not have an interior I don't like or wiring that's a huge gremlin. All new sounds good to me just want rust free and not much on the startup cost (under 15k and closer to me). You guys are awesome...thanks again!
The completely "new" bodies that he sells like Dynacorns (but infinitely better) are $12,500. If I were building from scratch, that might be the way I'd go. As far as shops go, you're not going to see anything enlightening at Tony's shop. He works out of his house garage. He's an engineer by trade. If it were me, I'd worry more about the finished product than the facility it's built in. He is unbelievably meticulous and an excellent welder. It's not an impersonal assembly line built body. I've been to his house on numerous occasions. He's a hell of a nice guy to talk to.
Good luck in your search.

Semper Fi!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 04:39 PM
John

Garage

Here's a 67

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57342

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
The completely "new" bodies that he sells like Dynacorns (but infinitely better) are $12,500. If I were building from scratch, that might be the way I'd go. As far as shops go, you're not going to see anything enlightening at Tony's shop. He works out of his house garage. He's an engineer by trade. If it were me, I'd worry more about the finished product than the facility it's built in. He is unbelievably meticulous and an excellent welder. It's not an impersonal assembly line built body. I've been to his house on numerous occasions. He's a hell of a nice guy to talk to.
Good luck in your search.
Thanks for the insight bro. And yea I totally see what you mean. But it's not the shop per se as it is the interaction and seeing what they do to a car and how they think. Your insight was what I was looking for really. I like to wrench on my own ****, just know enough to know that I'm not a body man, so I leave that to the pros lol. You mentioned "The completely "new" bodies that he sells like Dynacorns (but infinitely better) are $12,500." Does he sell the body only kits like Dynacorn? If so I didn't see that on the webpage and didn't discuss i with him either...have you seen them?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 03:08 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetop12101 View Post
Thanks for the insight bro. And yea I totally see what you mean. But it's not the shop per se as it is the interaction and seeing what they do to a car and how they think. Your insight was what I was looking for really. I like to wrench on my own ****, just know enough to know that I'm not a body man, so I leave that to the pros lol. You mentioned "The completely "new" bodies that he sells like Dynacorns (but infinitely better) are $12,500." Does he sell the body only kits like Dynacorn? If so I didn't see that on the webpage and didn't discuss i with him either...have you seen them?
This is what he offers for $12,500 according to his website. I know a well respected body guy in CT that's here on this site a lot has bought them from him before and is happy. He can comment if he wants to. I know he has before if you search for comments about MCM.

1968 Camaro Body Shell

$12,500 Coupe

$13,500 Convertible

For the first time ever you can now buy a newly "refurbished" replacement body shell using high quality Goodmark body panels. This shell has a complete new floor pan assembly made with all new parts welded on our special Gen1 assembly jig.

New parts include the following:

•New frame rails, RH and LH
•New complete floor 1-pc pan assembly
•New complete trunk pan assembly
•New complete firewall assembly
•New rear lower inside valance
•New complete rocker panel assembly, RH and LH (for coupe only)
•New complete wheelhouse assemblies, LH and RH
•New side cowls RH and left hand
•New lower cowl and dash panel
•New quarter panels, RH and LH
•New tail panel and filler deck panel
•New roof panel

Fully refurbished used parts include:

•Piller post assembly, RH and LH
•Side header supports, RH and LH
•Inside 1/4 window panels, RH and LH
•Inside sail panels, RH and LH
•Inside side header panels, RH and LH
•Rear speaker panel and supports
•Rear seat supports
•Miscellaneous inside supports
All refurbished parts are cleaned and refinished using por-15; all welds are mig plug type. This assembly has been assembled on a precision jig custom made for Gen 1 Camaro and Firebird. The unit has been test fitted with original doors and trunk which are not included. We offer free shipping within 500 miles of Boston, MA.
For more information on shipping, trade-ins, or any concerns call us toll free
at 1-888-328-9527 or email me at [email protected].

Semper Fi!

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 05:49 AM
John

Garage

Does the MCM body come with a title and VIN?

If not how does that work with the DMV? Especially in Cali.

Still will need doors, trunk, and the whole front clip.

As mentioned above by the time you these parts and fit them to the body which does take a lot of time and money unless you can install and fit them yourself. Also will still need to do final bodywork and prep for paint.

That just takes care of the body. Add the front subframe, rear end, suspension and steering components and you’ll have a roller ready for paint.

Based on my experience building Camaros from the ground up I would guess you’d have $30k-$35 invested at this point. Double that by the time you have it painted and buy everything else needed to complete the car NOT including the drivetrain.

And you still have a car without Title, VIN and Trim Tags.

IMO going this route is very expensive. If you have a complete donor car to start with you could save some money.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 06:13 AM
Team Member
Eric

Garage

Chris, there's a guy in Camarillo (James) that usually has 8-10 rollers at his house that he's selling from his late father's collection. As he sells them he brings new cars down from the family barn in Central California. He has some highly collectable cars in his hoard as well.

Some examples:

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...830660305.html
https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...828351610.html
https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...814833862.html

He lives about 5 minutes from Dynacorn so you could make one trip to see all options.

I paid $7600 for my roller from another Craigslist seller, it was a stripped theft recovery. I thought it was rust free at the time because the floors and trunk looked good. Ended up replacing the front and rear window frames, the rear filler panel, the rear tail panel (damage, not rust), and had some repair done to both cowls. I'm not a welder so I paid Hot Rod Ranch in Lompoc to do it. Once my slot came up I took the car in and had it back in 2.5 weeks. Very professional and very, very good at what they do.

Hot Rod Ranch
https://www.instagram.com/hotrodranch
https://www.instagram.com/hotrodranch_jamie
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpnFA6ngQYe/

With car, parts and labor I was $13K into a CA registered, rust free roller. Hot Rod Ranch will also do my mini tub project when I get to that point.

1968 Standard Coupe, LS1, T56
2007 Tahoe, Z71, Cold Air & Tune
2001 Silverado, Z71, TSP Cam, Cold Air & Tune

Last edited by really_n0b0dy; Mar 6th, 19 at 06:51 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 06:33 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by really_n0b0dy View Post
Chris, there's a guy in Camarillo (James) that usually has 8-10 rollers at his house that he's selling from his late father's collection. As he sells them he brings new cars down from the family barn in Central California. He has some highly collectable cars in his hoard as well.

Some examples:

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...830660305.html
https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...828351610.html
https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...814833862.html

He lives about 5 minutes from Dynacorn so you could make one trip to see all options.
This guy is Camarillo is a crook.

A friend bought a roller from him and later discovered it was 2 cars (front of one and back of another) that had been welded into one across the top of the A pillar and straight across the middle of the car welded from rocker to rocker.

And of course painted flat black primer to conceal everything.

That’s the guys scam. Advertise “selling collection” yeah right, then cover with flat black.

When you ask him about specifics he plays dumb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode