Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
majj

Garage
Can someone identify my 1968 Camaro

Long story shot: this is my first classic muscle. bought it from a shop in Long Island who I later found out have no clue about classics lol.. just buy n sell mentality. Anyways, it was restored by the original owner who later sold it to them.

The car was listed as an SS. It also had a 5.7 350ci, 4 speed. I don't know why my gut just tells me it might be an RS.

I mean, i later on, I found a black Tshirt in the trunk that said Camaro RS Restomod lol.

I know 68 SS din't have the small backup light under the taillights, mine does, but the previous owner could have used an ss bumper maybe... ?

VIN# 124378N4880983

Anyone knows?? Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Can someone identify my 1968 Camaro

Very nice look. More than likely it was originally an RS. The back-up lights in the lower valance, if original, say it is.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci 241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA
Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11

Beautiful Camaro. An SS could have had the reverse lights like that if it was also an RS. One has nothing to do with the other. You could remove one of the reverse lights and see if it's a stamped opening or someone cut it out. It's so far from original and stock I'm not sure it matters what it once was. I'd just enjoy it. If it was mine I'd definitely install the RS grill, headlight doors, etc and complete the RS look. I think that would look killer.

I see some of the pictures were taken at Hollywood Motors. Is that where you bought it? The Car Fellas?

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROZ11 View Post
Beautiful Camaro. An SS could have had the reverse lights like that if it was also an RS. One has nothing to do with the other. You could remove one of the reverse lights and see if it's a stamped opening or someone cut it out. It's so far from original and stock I'm not sure it matters what it once was. I'd just enjoy it. If it was mine I'd definitely install the RS grill, headlight doors, etc and complete the RS look. I think that would look killer.

I see some of the pictures were taken at Hollywood Motors. Is that where you bought it? The Car Fellas?

Thanks guys, and yeah doesnt really matter since im already doing a build but was just curious.

Yeah got it from Hollywood Motors back in 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11

Quote:
Originally Posted by majj35 View Post
Thanks guys, and yeah doesnt really matter since im already doing a build but was just curious.

Yeah got it from Hollywood Motors back in 2016

Those guys were hysterical.. I wish that show was still on.

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROZ11 View Post
Those guys were hysterical.. I wish that show was still on.

Haha i think i saw something on YouTube

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 12:21 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Look at your firewall from under the hood. Just to the right of the master cyl there will be about a 1" hole for the vacuum hoses for the RS headlight doors. It could have a 2 hole grommet in the hole. Also look at your headlight switch, if RS there are fittings for vacuum hoses on the back of the switch. It's not very often an RS car gets downgraded to standard headlight. When it is done it's usually a money saving issue so the hole/grommet and headlight switch are typically left in place.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
majj

Garage

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Like was mentioned above, about not normal to go from as RS front end to a standard front end... My assumption would be it's a standard coupe and the previous owner put the RS lower valance for the reverse lights on, so they could have the solid rear taillights.

Cool look.
John Doyle likes this.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 05:03 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

The VIN only indicates V8 engine and Camaro coupe. Camaro VIN, Cowl Tag, and other Numbers Decoding You have one too many numbers in the serial # (last 6), btw

The RS question has been covered here pretty well, what about SS ?

Have you checked the drivetrain codes too see if any of it is original ? 1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
The VIN only indicates V8 engine and Camaro coupe. Camaro VIN, Cowl Tag, and other Numbers Decoding You have one too many numbers in the serial # (last 6), btw

The RS question has been covered here pretty well, what about SS ?

Have you checked the drivetrain codes too see if any of it is original ? 1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding

I havenít checked yet. Replacing parts with the build so ill check. What am i looking for ?

Thank you

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 01:23 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

The details are in the link, but if original SS, the trans would be a Muncie (aluminum case) and the rearend would be a 12 bolt with multi-leaf springs. You'll have to look at the codes to determine if they're original. On the engine, you'll have to check the "pad" on the passenger side in front of the cylinder head for the stamped codes. SS350 would have an MU or MS suffix code stamped on the pad. Also, will be a partial VIN stamped that would match the car VIN if original.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 06:45 AM
Retired
Jim

Also look for reinforcement plate welded to the frame behind the driver's side rear wheel at about the 1 o'clock area. Its for dual exhaust hanger that would be required for an SS, or any engine where dual exhaust was ordered from factory.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 07:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Does that rear spoiler look a little weird or is it just the angle?

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 08:37 AM
John

Garage

As it is a resto does it really matter what it once was?
foreverlookin likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1968 ss, identify, restomod, ss/rs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode