Wow. No warm and fuzzy with this response - Team Camaro Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Wow. No warm and fuzzy with this response

I emailed a chrome plater to ask about re-chroming a set of valve covers. Uh, won't be going here...
Here's the response:

"Hello, its best to buy them new, trying to plate the old ones usually results in warping during the polishing process, also you will lose the spot weld marks where the drippers are.if you want them plated cost would be $ 100 each . Thank you"

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Wow. No warm and fuzzy with this response

That's not a bad price. A guy in Cali would ask for 5 or 6 times that. But if he warns you he might dork them up. Run.
HawkX66 likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
Don

That price is a bargain imho.

Don
DT likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 08:29 AM
T.C.

I'd rather someone give me a Honest answer vs lying and making me feel warm & fuzzy
69Z28, 68rs406, satz28 and 1 others like this.

BMR SUSPENSION

My Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our 67-69 suspension on Two Guys Garage:

813-986-9302 Phone
TC
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 08:45 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Agree with TC.

It also tells you that he is going to chrome plate them correctly as opposed to the cheap import plate that looks translucent at certain angles.

You have to strip the paint off and copper plate the bare steel, then nickle plate over the copper, before you even begin to apply the first coat of chrome. Between plating the parts are polished to a mirror finish which will abrade marks like a spot weld off the surface.

Because the metal is so thin the polishing process will heat it enough to warp it. Only way to straighten it back out again is apply cold and heat to contract the streched metal and expand where it had been compressed which is very labor intensive.

Big Dave
jimnecci likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

send me an e mail to the co. name. i would gladly deal with them
i just had a price on a 12" throttle rod, 6 very small brackets and 2 pieces or 1/8'x 3/4" x 3' plate and i believe it was close to $500
69X66 likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Had all of the chrome done on our '53 Crestline a year ago here in MN. It's beautiful and flawless...it was also $3,400.
Which believe it or not, is a decent price for having the right job done.

I agree that the guy wasn't trying to scare you off, just being straight with you. He wants you to be educated on the project and know what's involved, and possible/probably outcomes with what you're presenting him with.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

A few of guys completely missed my point. Cheap? Yes. Worth it? Hell no! Glad he's honest? Hell yes! This isn't a slight on him in that capacity. What I meant by warm and fuzzy is how the job would get done. Obviously I wasn't too clear. No worries.

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Oh. In that case. No.
It's a pretty ugly process to chrome anything. And caustic. The chemicals are terrible which is why it's so expensive, and there's more labor involved than most of us think.

All the metal work that has to be done prior to, it almost like body work before paint. have to make sure bumpers are straight, dings removed, hitch holes are welded up and smooth....

Pretty interesting to say the least.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

What was the question you asked by email then?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
X2, the question? Not uncommon for valve covers to be re-chromed

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 03:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
I emailed a chrome plater to ask about re-chroming a set of valve covers. Uh, won't be going here...
Here's the response:

"Hello, its best to buy them new, trying to plate the old ones usually results in warping during the polishing process, also you will lose the spot weld marks where the drippers are.if you want them plated cost would be $ 100 each . Thank you"
Do you think that sending the same email to another Chrome shop would result in a different response and what would you hope that response to be? That he would leave out the part about the part warping? In reading the response, I take it as he was not saying the drippers would fall off. I took that to mean the the appearance of the spot weld locations would be removed. To me that would be a good thing. Maybe I'm mis-reading it. Or, are you interpreting it to mean that since he thinks you should just buy new ones, he won't put forth his best effort? I could take it that way.

Brett......

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Do you think that sending the same email to another Chrome shop would result in a different response and what would you hope that response to be? That he would leave out the part about the part warping? In reading the response, I take it as he was not saying the drippers would fall off. I took that to mean the the appearance of the spot weld locations would be removed. To me that would be a good thing. Maybe I'm mis-reading it. Or, are you interpreting it to mean that since he thinks you should just buy new ones, he won't put forth his best effort? I could take it that way.

Brett......
What I'm saying is that the results he was talking about would be unacceptable on a set of original valve covers. Many others have had their born with valve covers re-chromed. I'm surprised that these are questions from everyone. Getting valve covers re-chromed isn't anything new and the details from an assembly line set getting destroyed is a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaroz28 View Post
X2, the question? Not uncommon for valve covers to be re-chromed
The question that I asked was just a normal first contact question. What does he get to do a set of original 69 bbc valve covers? He was very honest which is definitely appreciated. I just would never give him original parts.

Semper Fi!

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 08:15 AM
John

Garage

If you have original covers chromed they are not original anymore.

I would just buy repop chrome covers and keep the originals original.

That said I would not expect part to become warped from prep and polish for plating if the work is done correctly. Warping would be heat induced and polishing can be done with inducing excessive heat enough to warp the covers
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 08:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Others have had their covers re chromed I'm sure. But they were most likely done to a higher quality Finnish. I think that is what he is saying. The originals actually had a crappy chrome finish. The extra attention he is doung will make the spot welds get flowed over. If you don't want better than original, just buy a set of reproduction covers. That has been my experience. The price he us quoting is very reasonable for a chrome shop.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode