Team Camaro Tech banner

67 Camaro 350 SS OEM Survivor air cleaner?

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Niblet 
#1 ·
i have what I think is an original SS 350 air cleaner
I was wondering if some of you have VERIFIABLE originals could chime in?
my 1 owner has a black one, which I believe got swapped out sometime in its life,,
I realize the bottom is for a NON A.I.R car,,which mine IS, so I cant use the bottom,,but I needed the chrome lid....:surprise:

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Here is a few pictures of my original air cleaner cover. The only difference I seen was those vertical lines on the outside edge. You may check the wing nut hole. Mine has the chrome worn away. On the underside of the hole, it has a ridge around it. The one picture of the dime shows the rubber gasket thickness and outside lip dimension.

The grove around the outside diameter of my original air cleaner had bad pitting and it had small pitting all over. So I chose to replace is with a new after market instead of rechroming the original.

The part number of my replacement was on the plastic I had this old one in. It is AMD W-461. It was a good replacement.

Roger

Attachments

#9 ·
Thanks Roger just what I was looking for , there a a couple very minor differences in mine, but for what I paid for it I'm not taking any chances
those lines around the edge are a bit sketchy, and next to the rubber piece inside there is an extra " roll" that mine doesn't have,,could be nothing
maybe different manufactures, but for the price,,sorry I need NO questions, it could be an older repop or something,,I have a new repop and its a joke compared to your original not even close
Thanks again!

Reactions: rogerh
#10 ·
Anyone else have an original they can snap a pic of the edge? to see about those "ridges"?

#13 ·
I have a nice AIR bottom, but the PO powdercoated it,,,how do I remove the powdercoating ?
and is it a 30% flat black or whatever?
Looking fwd to the pics,,Thanks!

#14 ·
Very hard to remove powder coating on stamped steel thin gauge parts. Media blast is about the only way and that may distort the metal.

I would suggest prime and paint over the PC finish.

#15 ·
sounds like a plan,,wonder where I would find what finish is correct...............

#16 ·
I downloaded this underhood finish document over 10 years ago. Couldn't find a link to it so here are some copied pages.

If someone could find a link to this info, it would be great to update what it is.

Roger

Attachments

#18 ·
you guys are awesome,,,Im beginning to think the one I have IS a genuine one....I was looking at some corvette judging standards on some ignition covers and they mention the die or shear marks as authentic...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.