Official Body Color Percentages - Team Camaro Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garth

Official Body Color Percentages

Exterior Related - Camaro FAQ

Not sure how long CRG has had this info. The figures previously were estimated and generally not far off from these Official numbers. So with a little arithmetic, one should be able to figure out how many cars total were built in any particular color.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Official Body Color Percentages

Total productions figures are;

220,906 Camaros built in '67
235,147 in '68
243,085 in '69

So an example would be 2.0 % Sierra Fawn built in 67. .02 x 220,906= 4418.12 Camaros in 67. Question is, was it 4418 or 4419 ??

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

I expected red & the Marina/Lemans blue variations to be some of the most popular, but I wouldn't have expected black to be one of the rarest colors of all years.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 04:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

The trunk stripes on a '69 Z/28 were wider and spaced further apart than the stripes in '68.

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie P View Post
I expected red & the Marina/Lemans blue variations to be some of the most popular, but I wouldn't have expected black to be one of the rarest colors of all years.
It was the psychedelic 60's, right. By the late 60's even car colors were getting pretty extreme (how 'bout them Mopars !). Black along with a few other dark/ less lively colors was discontinued as a standard color mid year 68 in favor of some brighter colors. It's listed there in the CRG report just below the color chart. It seems like black was limited somewhat in 69 as well. I don't recall the details.

It was pretty cool to have a choice of all those colors though, back in the day, not to mention the various options. Manufacturers tried hard to suit the customer and let them personalize each car as much as possible !

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 04:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Did dealers order all cars back then or did they wind up with unordered cars like today? Did different zones get different colors for any reason? I remember going to the local dealers on the unveiling weekend. All the 69 zís were green. Thirty years ago I remember an argument at the local vette club with staunch believers that plum didnt really exist on Camaros in 67. They knew it was in the books but they never saw one. On cars that werent ordered by the end user how directed was color choice? Was it dealers or late 60s analytics?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garth

I'd like to hear some answers to some of those questions too, Steve. Kurt would probably know as much if not more than anyone as far as that goes.

Those 69Z's I presume were Fathom ? Although Frost was a more common color overall, it seems Fathom was more popular on Z's. Rally green also, but probably not as common as Fathom.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 05:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Yeah, they were fathom. One had a white interior and i thought it really helped the paint pop. The car was nice and moved with its owner to Arizona within a year. Boy would that be a nice find. Anyway what we were looking for was big block SS cars. We saw SS cars. None were green. As i recall none of the big blocks were RS. All of the green Zs were RS.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode