Team Camaro Tech banner

My 68 Z project

7K views 87 replies 11 participants last post by  169indy 
#1 ·
I recently re-acquired my high school 29,000 mile 1969 SS/RS BB car. I had to do a lot of work to get back to it’s old glory! Now that it is coming to a completion, I am putting my thoughts on my 1968 RS Z28 project.
This is a very unique 1968 Z, it came from Feld Chevrolet in Kansas City. Supposedly, it was purchased from the son of the owner of Feld Chevrolet (I have not been able to confirm this. If anyone has any information on the Feld family or employees who may have worked at the dealership back in the day, it would be greatly appreciated). The car has been sitting in a garage since 1974. It is a factory teal car with black houndstooth interior, tilt wheel, speed warning, wood wheel, multiplex stereo, power steering and tach and gauges. It has a all numbers matching born with drivetrain, 302 MO with a factory M22 (has the trans tag and speedo gear reducer) and original BX 4:88 rear end. Every component is original to the car.
The car also has original GM Kustom Headers, large snowflake 68 crossram with original 4210 carburetors, (all original crossram components), and an original 1968, transistor ignition set up with all original components.

This is going to be a fun restoration! I am hoping to follow the other awesome Z28 restorations that have been show cased on this site and give this car the attention it deserves!

See less See more
#3 ·
The car still has original paint with some primer touch-ups. The quarters do have a couple of rust spots on them in the usual places that I think could be repaired and metal finished (the car did come with new GM quarters and GM otters that were purchased in 1974). The floors are in perfect shape! The interior is in real good shape. I have already rebuilt the engine, which required 30 over bore.

#4 ·
Pics pics pics! How many miles Paul? Rear defrost by chance? The BX rear with all the comfort options sounds like a very rare bird.

#10 ·
Thank you Paul, I sent you a email. You did a phenomenal job on my previous 1968 Z28 reproduction window sticker!

It would be great to find some more history on this unique Z28. I am guessing it may have been a GM show car or if the story is true it was bought/ordered for the son of Feld Chevrolet. A factory stereo with houndstooth M22 and 4:88, it sure is a unusual combination. What is crazy, my last 1968 Z28 also had a multiplex stereo!

If anyone has a link to posting pictures, please send an attachment.

#12 ·
Well all should know I want to see pics and know more about this car for sure. Pics of the header flanges, gaskets and stampings appreciated. Agree with everyone Paul it’s one neat Z28. Did you post about this car before as I remember similar/same story. Thanks for sharing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.