Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

1Likes
  • 1 Post By HuggerSS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

My 68 Z project

I recently re-acquired my high school 29,000 mile 1969 SS/RS BB car. I had to do a lot of work to get back to itís old glory! Now that it is coming to a completion, I am putting my thoughts on my 1968 RS Z28 project.
This is a very unique 1968 Z, it came from Feld Chevrolet in Kansas City. Supposedly, it was purchased from the son of the owner of Feld Chevrolet (I have not been able to confirm this. If anyone has any information on the Feld family or employees who may have worked at the dealership back in the day, it would be greatly appreciated). The car has been sitting in a garage since 1974. It is a factory teal car with black houndstooth interior, tilt wheel, speed warning, wood wheel, multiplex stereo, power steering and tach and gauges. It has a all numbers matching born with drivetrain, 302 MO with a factory M22 (has the trans tag and speedo gear reducer) and original BX 4:88 rear end. Every component is original to the car.
The car also has original GM Kustom Headers, large snowflake 68 crossram with original 4210 carburetors, (all original crossram components), and an original 1968, transistor ignition set up with all original components.

This is going to be a fun restoration! I am hoping to follow the other awesome Z28 restorations that have been show cased on this site and give this car the attention it deserves!
ME4NSTRK69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 09:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Re: My 68 Z project

Sounds like none Ive seen. Awesomely ordered! Why a restoration?!

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

The car still has original paint with some primer touch-ups. The quarters do have a couple of rust spots on them in the usual places that I think could be repaired and metal finished (the car did come with new GM quarters and GM otters that were purchased in 1974). The floors are in perfect shape! The interior is in real good shape. I have already rebuilt the engine, which required 30 over bore.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 04:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Pics pics pics! How many miles Paul? Rear defrost by chance? The BX rear with all the comfort options sounds like a very rare bird.

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 05:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Wow, sounds amazing! Can't wait to see pictures.

'68 RS
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

For being parked in 1974, it does have a lot of miles 54,000. No rear defrost. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I will get some up.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerSS View Post
For being parked in 1974, it does have a lot of miles 54,000. No rear defrost. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I will get some up.
Looking forward to pictures to see what she looks like.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 06:53 AM
Tech Team
Paul

Paul,
Shoot me your e-mail and Iíll send you some Feld ads with employees names if youíd like
[email protected]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 09:29 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

That '68 sounds like a very cool car!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

Thank you Paul, I sent you a email. You did a phenomenal job on my previous 1968 Z28 reproduction window sticker!

It would be great to find some more history on this unique Z28. I am guessing it may have been a GM show car or if the story is true it was bought/ordered for the son of Feld Chevrolet. A factory stereo with houndstooth M22 and 4:88, it sure is a unusual combination. What is crazy, my last 1968 Z28 also had a multiplex stereo!

If anyone has a link to posting pictures, please send an attachment.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Paul, For posting pics you can become a paid member here on TC or use a 3rd party
photo hosting site like Flickr, Google pics, Imgr, etc.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerSS View Post
I recently re-acquired my high school 29,000 mile 1969 SS/RS BB car. I had to do a lot of work to get back to itís old glory! Now that it is coming to a completion, I am putting my thoughts on my 1968 RS Z28 project.
This is a very unique 1968 Z, it came from Feld Chevrolet in Kansas City. Supposedly, it was purchased from the son of the owner of Feld Chevrolet (I have not been able to confirm this. If anyone has any information on the Feld family or employees who may have worked at the dealership back in the day, it would be greatly appreciated). The car has been sitting in a garage since 1974. It is a factory teal car with black houndstooth interior, tilt wheel, speed warning, wood wheel, multiplex stereo, power steering and tach and gauges. It has a all numbers matching born with drivetrain, 302 MO with a factory M22 (has the trans tag and speedo gear reducer) and original BX 4:88 rear end. Every component is original to the car.
The car also has original GM Kustom Headers, large snowflake 68 crossram with original 4210 carburetors, (all original crossram components), and an original 1968, transistor ignition set up with all original components.

This is going to be a fun restoration! I am hoping to follow the other awesome Z28 restorations that have been show cased on this site and give this car the attention it deserves!
Well all should know I want to see pics and know more about this car for sure. Pics of the header flanges, gaskets and stampings appreciated. Agree with everyone Paul itís one neat Z28. Did you post about this car before as I remember similar/same story. Thanks for sharing.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 06:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

looking forward to seeing this car. Pretty cool combo you got there. Best of Luck

1969 Camaro 350 200r4 342 Posi
1987 WE4 Turbo Regal E85
2003 Sierra Stepside RCSB Belltech dropped

MY BUILD THREAD:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode