Going back to a Powerglide. Help on parts I need! Bunch of questions. - Team Camaro Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Going back to a Powerglide. Help on parts I need! Bunch of questions.

I recently got a hold of a Powerglide from a 68 Camaro.

I currently have a 700R4 in my 67 now as well as 350 motor, and console shifter.

I know my car will not be 100% correct (original powerglide was destroyed by previous owner racing) but I want to get it as close
as possible.

After looking over my car and referencing the AIM, I didn’t see what the manual calls the support assembly bolted to my frame (UPC M35 A6 part #16 on this page is what I am asking about).
Pic#7

Question 1: Is this what I need minus the rod? And, Is this part the same for a column shifter as it is a floor shifter?
Pic#1

Question 2: this where it would be bolted to my frame if I had one?
Pic#2

Question 3: there a difference between the neutral safety switch for a Powerglide vs using one for a 700r4? Can I use the one I have now?
Pic#3

Question 4: this an original offset lever that would have been on my car when it had the powerglide?
Pic#4

Question 4: there a modulator pipe clip/bracket for a V8? It looks like there is one in the AIM (UPC M35 A4)

Question 5: this look like the correct/original detent for the shifter that would have been on my car with the powerglide? Just need confirmation on this one, doesn’t look to be drilled or ever welded, modified ect…
Pic#5

Question 6: the cooler lines to run through the radiator? There is not a separate cooler for trans right??

Question 7: this the correct fill tube? https://www.classicmuscle.com/p-g-dipstick-tube
If so, who has the correct dipstick? I can’t find one anywhere…

Question 8: this the correct selector shaft/side gear selector?
Pic#6

Im sure i will have a bunch more questions but that's it for now...Thanks,

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 1.08.23 PM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	232661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7080.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	232663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7053.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	4.42 MB
ID:	232665  

Name:	IMG_7059.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	232667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7052.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	4.07 MB
ID:	232669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7031.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	232671  

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 2.23.36 PM.png
Views:	34
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	232677  

Last edited by cam1967rsss; Feb 11th, 20 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Going back to a Powerglide. Help on parts I need! Bunch of questi

Joe from memory will answer what I can

The PG does use the radiator, PS, for cooling lines

The detent you show is for a PG floor shift

Not seeing the kick down rods/bracket in your pics. It bolts to the DS side bell housing bolts

I had a floor shift PG and don't recall anything being bolted to frame

PG does have a vac modulator. Line came from a "T" from behind carb off of intake manifold with bent metal tube going down to the vac mod on PS, rear of PG

If you want to rebuild your floor shift handle (inner springs, rod & release button) Shiftworks sells them. Where I got mine

I pulled my PG and put in a 350 using the Shiftworks shifter kit for the 3 speed detent. Nice stuff. All looks stock unless you look careful and see the PRN321 indicator plate
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

What SoCal suggests is correct. On the shifter linkage, the '67 had a bellcrank bolted onto the side of trans. Easy enough to find, look at M35 A(, includes console shifter. Follow the AIM.
The neutral switch will bolt onto the shifter.
You may need a longer driveshaft and a PG/standard trans crossmember.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Doing a good job is like peeing in your dark pants … you get a warm feeling, but nobody notices

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Thanks for the help so far guys.

After doing more research I found the part that gets bolted to the frame is called the reverse lockout swivel. Per a parts vendor, "Mounts on the side of your sub frame and allows the reverse lock out to work properly."
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

That bracket that mounts to the subframe appears to be just for column shift. Looking at Sheet A8 which is for D55 console (floor shift) cars I don't see it. And I don't recall it, but can't check as my car is at a restoration shop.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 10:02 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes L48 View Post
That bracket that mounts to the subframe appears to be just for column shift. Looking at Sheet A8 which is for D55 console (floor shift) cars I don't see it. And I don't recall it, but can't check as my car is at a restoration shop.
I agree. I just pulled out the console shift PG from my 68 and there were no subframe mounts/brackets.

Richmond, VA
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 01:47 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I have a console shifted auto (orig PG changed to TH400) and it had the linkage between the trans shift arm and the steering column. I removed it to install headers and would need to modify it to put it back. The console harness also has wiring for no starting in gear which was used for both the PG, TH400 and the 700r4 I installed.

I believe this might be called "backdrive linkage" by some. It is there so you cannot switch the key to the off position and remove it from the ignition (locking the steering) unless the car is in PARK.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1967rsss View Post
Thanks for the help so far guys.

After doing more research I found the part that gets bolted to the frame is called the reverse lockout swivel. Per a parts vendor, "Mounts on the side of your sub frame and allows the reverse lock out to work properly."
I believe this part and description is for a 69 with a floor shift manual transmission. To my knowledge there was no reverse lock out until they had locking steering columns which started in 69.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I have a console shifted auto (orig PG changed to TH400) and it had the linkage between the trans shift arm and the steering column. I removed it to install headers and would need to modify it to put it back. The console harness also has wiring for no starting in gear which was used for both the PG, TH400 and the 700r4 I installed.

I believe this might be called "backdrive linkage" by some. It is there so you cannot switch the key to the off position and remove it from the ignition (locking the steering) unless the car is in PARK.
IIRC DJD has a 69. I don't think this applies to your 67. I hope he confirms.

Jeff
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 07:47 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Jeff - you are right I do have a '69. I looked at the '67 AIM and found the same setup for the 3 speed auto and because the OP posted a pick of a page from the '67 aim showing the same, but not showing the shifter I assumed the 'PG was the same. Look up M40 A1 to see what I'm talking about. My understanding is the steering column for the console shifter basically has the same innards as the column shift so the rod connects the trans to keep the steering wheel from locking except in park.

...Dennis

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 12:44 AM
Senior Tech
Kev

I'd wonder why go back to a PG. Really high first.
For an earlier post, (my understanding is) there's no reverse lock and park is locked in the trans.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 04:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

[QUOTE=67sc;1783194043]I'd wonder why go back to a PG. Really high first.
Been wondering the same thing. Definitely not an upgrade.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 04:34 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sc View Post
I'd wonder why go back to a PG. Really high first.
For an earlier post, (my understanding is) there's no reverse lock and park is locked in the trans.
Early on the OP said he was putting the car back to factory stock.

...Dennis

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 06:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Jeff - you are right I do have a '69. I looked at the '67 AIM and found the same setup for the 3 speed auto and because the OP posted a pick of a page from the '67 aim showing the same, but not showing the shifter I assumed the 'PG was the same. Look up M40 A1 to see what I'm talking about. My understanding is the steering column for the console shifter basically has the same innards as the column shift so the rod connects the trans to keep the steering wheel from locking except in park.
It's been a really long time since I worked for AAMCO trans (before 1976) R&Ring transmissions but I can't remember any connection to the steering column on a 67 or 68 with a console shift. The linkage set up on a car with column shift is similar on all models. Manual Floor shift cars and Automatics with Console and column shift cars all have similar linkage when equipped with locking columns.

Jeff
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 07:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Early on the OP said he was putting the car back to factory stock.
Why not acquire the stock parts and have them for when you're selling??? Just doesn't make sense to me especially since it's not numbers matching. I'll wait for the OP to chime in. I'm curious why anyone would intentionally take a step backward with a PG.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 08:28 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
Why not acquire the stock parts and have them for when you're selling??? Just doesn't make sense to me especially since it's not numbers matching. I'll wait for the OP to chime in. I'm curious why anyone would intentionally take a step backward with a PG.
Dave I'm sure the OP has a good reason. I can't speak for him but I can share a story. Years ago I was at a car show in San Diego, Many of us drove down from the bay area. One of the guys was actually there ahead of the rest of us getting ready for his daughters wedding which was the same day as the show. With only a short overlap between the end of the show and the wedding, both were do-able but once we all got to the show plans caved in and I was asked to help get his car back to the hotel. To shorten this story, my wife drove my car back and I drove this perfect specimen of an all stock '67 RS powerglide. It was kind of a magical trip back in time for the 40 minute drive. No, I wasn't carving corners or leaving rubber on the road at stop lights but it really left an impression on me and I don't leave any vehicle I own completely stock. That drive gave me a new appreciation for the hobby. No not restoring my car to a 307 with 14" wheels or anything but I do find myself looking a little closer at the stock plain jane versions of our cars when I see one.
Everett#2390 and rogerh like this.

...Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode