Team Camaro Tech banner

Cost for a shop to get 81 Camaro road worthy?

4K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  adjudimo 
#1 ·
My mother has a 1981 Berlinetta Camaro that has been sitting in storage (indoors) for roughly 10 years at this point . Now before it was put in storage it was running and driving with not a single issue except maybe the carb wasn’t working as good as it should have. Considering this and *assuming* it doesn’t have rust in the cylinders or anything (because obviously that’s a different story) I was wondering what even a very rough estimate would be for a shop to get it road worthy again. Assuming the shop would do normal things that need to be replace like rubber and fluids and all that and everything else. Now I don’t mean for the shop to do a full frame off resto... I mean just to get it road worthy. I know this is impossible to estimate I’m just looking for like a max price or a minimum price.

#5 ·
Do you have a reliable shop at your disposal? Are you sufficiently versed in cars to have a rational conversation or are you dropping it off and hoping for the best? Theres a gray area here that could really be expensive.

#6 ·
Just because it was driven and seemed to have no issues doesn't mean it didn't have issues. Possible it needs a master cylinder, brakes, ball joints and bushings, shocks leaking from sitting . It was a used car before it was parked. You need to expect the unexpected . Having a shop do anything is costly.

#7 ·
The fact that is hasn't been moved or started for 10 years means all of the fluids needs replaced and most likely anything rubber is shot. Best case scenario, new battery, new plugs, new oil, new coolant, and new gas you are looking at a minimum of $500. Most likely a $1000 because of the aforementioned shop rates. The worst case scenario is that the repair price equals or exceeds the total value of the car, which I don't know where that line is for you.

My recommendation is to find a reputable mechanic and have them give it a good inspection before any work is done.

#9 ·
Thank you guys for your responses. To be clear I realize that the car more than likely could have major problems that would make the repair cost more than the car is worth. However, i am just looking for a range *under the assumption* that it won’t need a new engine for example. Because if it does need that then I will have to revisit it at a later date. I simply am just looking for a guesstimate on the price of replacing all obvious things that need to be replaced and something like suspension work and a carb rebuild maybe. I will be having the shop do it’s $400 full inspection to figure out what the car needs before making a decision on if I will be following through at that point. However before I take it out of storage I just wanted to get an idea of essentially a best case scenario cost. Thanks.

#11 ·
Here we have mobile mechanics that do a pretty good job for less than a shop.

Perhaps you can line one up to save having it towed to a shop, spending $400 and towing it back if the estimate doesn’t work for you.

No way would I pay anything for an inspection and estimate.

#12 ·
The shop I had in mind is the best rated shop near me and by the reviews, a couple emails back and forth with them, and pictures, they seemed to be a reputable shop to go through. I figured the inspection cost was high but by the brief mention of it I got in an email I think it’s a pretty “thorough” inspection however I don’t know how thorough it has to be to be worth $400.

#29 ·
Where in upstate NY are you? I am sure that someone here would be able to help you at least take a look and figure out the basics.

You have a good list here of things that will NEED to be addresses. You can start searching online for prices pf parts like hoses and belts, you can look up how much of each fluid you need and get prices.

Start a list and at least get material costs. Then you can get a baseline of what the REQUIRED stuff will cost. Then you need to worry about the unexpected but at least you have a baseline.

Also, I would check out NastyZ28.com Really good team over there as well.

#13 ·
that's excessive for an inspection when everyone here knows what it needs already:

-Drain/flush fuel tank and lines
-Replace all fluids (oil, trans, brake, coolant, etc)
-Replace radiator hoses, brake hoses, belts
-Tune up, (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.)
-Rebuild carb.
-Replace battery
-Replace tires
-Likely should replace brakes and rebuild calipers.
-Then there's ball joint, control arm bushings, etc. to be evaluated when you get an alignment.
-Could be other problems like fuel pump, water pump, etc.

I would not spend $400 to have someone tell me I needed to replace the things listed above.

#15 ·
Fair enough. If I remember correctly the gentleman I spoke with said the inspection was mandatory for what I wanted. I wish I could bring it back to life myself but frankly I have little experience working on cars and I would rather not learn on my mothers beloved Camaro.

#16 ·
Number one what are your intentions for the car?are you trying to fix it up to sell it or you trying to fix it up and drive it?

The car was 20 years old when it went into storage how many miles are on the car the engine and the transmission?

What is the condition of the body the paint and the interior?

#17 ·
My intentions for this car are to surprise my mother with it. She’s always wanted to get it back on the road but has never had the money to do so. My mother already has a vehicle at the moment so it would not assume the role of a daily driver once fixed.

My mother only drove the car during the warm driving seasons. She would store it every winter and buy a beater car. I would guess a rough mileage estimate to be around 50 - 70k.

The body from what I remember seeing is by no means crumbling from rust. There is surface rust here and there on the underside and practically no rust visible from the massive engine bay. The interior and paint with a good detail could be put right back on a showroom floor in the 1980s, my mother took great care of the car while she was able to before it sat in storage.

#19 ·
Maybe the shop can send a guy over to have a look at it in storage to give you a better idea of ball park needs?

If you tell them why you want to get it on the road again may encourage them to help out a little.

#20 ·
If they are going to charge $400 just to check the car out, then expect around $5K to get it on the road. You could probably tow it to a Chevrolet dealership and get a cheaper estimate.

#21 ·
There are many knowledgeable gentlemen and ladies on here that may be willing to look at the car and give you a heads up before you pay $400.
If you feel comfortable with strangers dropping by, tell us at least the city and state you are in. I would be willing to look at it for $0 if you are within an hour drive or so, as I am always looking for a reason to cruise. I am retired and have a chaperone of 52 years to make sure I behave around your mother. I live outside of the small town of Dewitt, Il. near Bloomington IL.

It would have to be a nice day so I can have the top down on either of my cars. If you can't drop the top, it might as well be a 4 door grocery getter (that should stir the kids up). Also keep in mind that IL is under a social distancing stay home order until the end of April. What is the status of your state?

Details on the car e.g. engine and transmission can help ahead of time. You might find someone in the Gen 2 (I think) forum section that is willing to help also.

Ron

#31 ·
If you where in WNY instead of upstate, I could recommend a shop that does exactly this kind of work.

For about $250 you should get a pretty good estimate of whats needed and be able to find out if it runs. A mechanic can check the vitals and pour gas in the carb to see if it runs without having to go through the expense of replacing things first. I have purchased cars that "ran when parked" many years earlier. You can find out pretty quick if it's going to be a major expense to get running again.

In NY, Auto Repair is an essential business, they are all open by appointment near me.

#24 ·
My opinion of having the car dropped off at a shop is you are basically writing them a blank check once they have it in their shop and will bend you over.

If you do end up in the shop make sure they write a Very Detailed Work Order of what is included and more importantly what is excluded. Also include in the work order a defineir time frame for the work to be completed. It can NOT be vague.

Reactions: ME4NSTRK69
#26 ·
After reading this post I agree with the advice that has been given. Unless there are hidden problems that are unknown, the previously suggested maintenance areas should be all that is needed to have the car up and running. After that a good clean and polish, and then surprise your mother.

#27 ·
I'll add to the parts lists others have posted that almost every old American car from the 60's-80's I've put back into service for myself and customers that sat for 10 years or more. Water pump and alternator because the grease in the bearings settles over the years then even if they function when you fire the engine back up they fail soon after. And master cylinder for the brakes also seem to fail after the car starts getting used again.

Since the car is "moms" I'd just replace those three things along with all the other parts mentioned previously before letting her drive it. Also buy her AAA with the 100 mile tow option which is like a hundred bucks. Then you can get the car brought to a shop or wherever free without risk and have peace of mind she won't be stranded once she has the car back. Anyone with an old car should have it IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.