Team Camaro Tech banner

69 camaro hockey stripe

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Sauron67MM 
#1 ·
which one to get vinyl or oem stripe kit?

#3 ·
Definitely agree.....but here's my 2 cents......

If you have a numbers matching car, and your building a ground up restoration, then I would do the fenders with the stencil and paint it.....like they did in the factory. Whether they apply the paint on top or below the clear is up to you.....the judges at the Camaro Nationals can be picky on that subject - if your going for Legends certification. Find out before it's too late.

If you don't have a numbers matching car and your not gonna deal with all the BS of certification judging, I'd get the full vinyl. Its easier and in my opinion, looks better - and - it's something you can do yourself.

Using the stencil can be a harrowing experience......sometimes the paint lines can get messy when you lift off the stencil......and it can be a unnerving...believe me - I know.

Good luck to ya! :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Unless you have a certified numbers-matching ride, I'd go with the vinyl bc if you ever get tired of them, you can remove them easily. Not so with painted stripes, and adding them back is way cheaper than painting. The 3M stripes are not glossy, they are best described as satin. Mine are 3M vinyl and not one edge has lifted in 4+ years. I can't even imagine the half-paint, half-vinyl matching 100%.

#7 ·
Unless you have a certified numbers-matching ride, I'd go with the vinyl bc if you ever get tired of them, you can remove them easily. Not so with painted stripes, and adding them back is way cheaper than painting. The 3M stripes are not glossy, they are best described as satin. Mine are 3M vinyl and not one edge has lifted in 4+ years. I can't even imagine the half-paint, half-vinyl matching 100%.

I like the stripe! Who's vinyl kit did you use?

#10 ·
I know the absolute "correct" way to do this is paint them on the fender, then use the vinyl on the door... and yes, if you're a numbers-matching guy who plans to show your car as a perfect example of a correctly restored 1969... that's the way to go. Don't forget, in 1969 I'm pretty sure there was no clear coat over the painted stripe, so I can't say it there should be a "ridge" where the two colors meet, you'd have to ask Jerry McNeish how he judges stripes LOL. There definitely would be a slight ridge on the vinyl applied to the doors though.

#11 ·
I do this everday. These cars were not clearcoated. Stripes were not buried under clear. If you want an education go to CRG and read. Same applies to other makes and models if you are in this business.
Did a job for a customer and he applied his own full hockey decals on a driver and they looked fine. Depends on your goals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.