• 1 Post By ZLP955
  • 1 Post By BonzoHansen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage
Brake Booster Restoration

Iíve had several brake boosters restored by Steve Gregori (brakeboosters.com) including our 68Z and the craftsmanship and quality was top level. Many might know Steve was ready to pass the torch and a good friend of mine, Mike Gibbons has purchased the business. Mike and Steve have been close friends for decades and Steve is working with Mike for a smooth transition. Mikeís talent and hands on approach will continue to serve the hobby.
Congratulations Mike!
[email protected]
69Z28, buenymayor, nashcar and 1 others like this.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Brake Booster Restoration

deleted

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; May 21st, 20 at 08:11 PM. Reason: unwanted content
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
deleted
Why deleted Garth? Think u asked about restoration and it does take special tools to take a booster apart. Service manuals review what is needed to rebuild and of course the outside is replated. What always surprised me what someone would pay for a repro vs. having their original restored. If anyone has their original have it restored and forget the Chinese repro.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 06:00 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

No response for quite some time after I knew you had seen it, so figured it wasn't my business what it cost to restore your booster. lol

Speaking of the china booster, what are the obvious visuals that make them so easy to spot ? I hear folks commonly pointing them out just in the photos we see here. Price difference is obviously their big advantage over a restored GM booster.

Would like to restore mine as I know it's GM, and there use to be a guy locally that did it, but don't know if he's still around. I didn't see a ballpark price at the website you're advocating ? I know they have a high reputation on our Camaro forums...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Garth there's a couple of comparison pictures on Steve's website here: Reproduction vs. Original
I believe Mike may also take over the site, so it may be updated, but for now you should still be able to see it.
Also note some originals have the Delco Moraine stamp upside down below the check valve grommet, so another key difference to the reproductions.
Garfields Maro likes this.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 08:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Good luck to the new owners. Steve did great work
69Z28 likes this.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Excellent Tim, plain as can be when side by side....Now I'll be checking every booster I see and pointing them out in the What's it Worth section !

My car didn't have P.brakes originally and I got a booster off of a mid 70's Monte Carlo. Still works perfectly, but needs replating. Therefore it's hard to justify spending 3-400 on a rebuild, but I can't stand the thought of hanging anymore Chinese crap on it than I have to !!

BTW, did a search here on the D-M stamp (mine has it right side up btw) as I was thinking they were upside down at the 2 'oclock position (wrong) and noticed some reputable sources had said that 67-8 didn't have the stamp. And even more interestingly someone mentioned $145 for rebuild at brakeboosters.com....in 2010. It must be at least double that by now, eh ?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 11:51 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
interestingly someone mentioned $145 for rebuild at brakeboosters.com....in 2010. It must be at least double that by now, eh ?
Steve's recent pricing (via Products) stated:
"Most '64 & Up Boosters are $235.00 to rebuild and replate."
That was money well spent (at least in my experience), Steve's work was top quality and I'm sure Mike's attention to detail is no less focussed. But agree, horses for courses - a functional OEM part works fine for a driver, no cheap unreliable repro parts are necessary, and save the $$ for correct numbers restos

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 12:12 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Cool, somehow I didn't see that at the website earlier. Mine just has slight pitting just below the MC, so I might get off pretty reasonable. Still gonna check around locally though....

Thanks !

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Cool, somehow I didn't see that at the website earlier. Mine just has slight pitting just below the MC, so I might get off pretty reasonable. Still gonna check around locally though....

Thanks !
One of the reasons for delay after reading your question was itís been some years since my last booster was restored and went thru my paper file looking for the billing to communicate but no luck. Tim beat me to it but once u know the repro jumps out and again imo restore the original. And yes Mike will be taking over the website and updating it.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
Our 68Z Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode