Team Camaro Tech banner

700R4 or turbo 350?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  stenn5 
G
#1 ·
My wife wants me to convert her M 21 to a Automatic, my prblem is which auto should I use? A turbo 350 or a 700R4? The Camaro in question is a RS/SS 350 4 speed with a 3.73 posi. The engine is mildly built making maybe 350 or so horses.
Thanks,
Mike

G
#3 ·
I dont really drive it alot but when we do its for all day cruises. How is the 700R4 for strentgh and reliability? What should I look for lock up or non lock up. How about a stall speed on the converter? Its a all numbers matching 69 RS/SS my other question is what do I need to make it look factory? Its a console gauge car. Actually what all do I need to do to change it over? I plan on keeping all the stock equipment for future use.
Thanks,
Mike

#4 ·
Check this out... http://700r4.com/Conversions/camaro.htm

I think that it can be done with minimal impact on the car.

As for power mine didn't come from these guys but I got a lot of the periferals from them. It's gone 2 seasons of april to november use (not a whole lot of pounding but some) with about 400ftlbs pushing it and will soon be seeing about 450 ftlbs. I did a series of pressure test perscribed by the bowtie folks and they felt the builder of mine did a good job. They claim you can run 12's without hurting one of their's...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

#5 ·
Sacrilige! Maybe you should get her a different Camaro......and keep the 4sp car
for yourself

I have an automatic now (Th-350) but will
not buy another automatic car.(I dream of 5-sp manuals) Sure for the strip maybe the automatics are a smidgen more consistant if everything is set-up perfect--- Stall converters, Shift kits, Ratchet Shifters, Govenors.

RandysRingandPinion.com has a good calculator for figuring out RPMs at different speeds with differnt tranny combos.

#6 ·
if the 700-R4 will require driveshaft shortening (I am not sure how long it is compared to the 4 speed), the 200-4R is the same length as a stock PG or TH350 with a 6'' tailshaft.

#7 ·
"Sure for the strip maybe the automatics are a smidgen more consistant if everything is set-up perfect--- Stall converters, Shift kits, Ratchet Shifters, Govenors."
if you dont drag race then you have no right saying that, they 60ft alot better. and they dont brake parts as much.
as for crusing go with a 5 speed manual, or a 2004r (a built one) they dont drop off after 1st as much.

#8 ·
What the lady wants, the lady gets.

I'm with Frank, talk her into another ride if she insist on an auto. If all else fails go with the 700r4.

------------------
Robert Johnson

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
350ci 700r4 3.55 posi

#9 ·
Check out http://www.shiftworks.com/camaro.htm#6872camaro for the stock shifter kits. From what I here a "lock-up" style trans. doesn't heat up like the non-lock-ups and heat kills. TPI http://www.tpiperformance.com recommends about a 3.42 rear gear ratio and a 2000 RPM stall.

[This message has been edited by TJS69 (edited 01-15-2002).]

G
#10 ·
I know but I like the Z/28's (coupe man) and she likes convertables and since I have had this car forever I dont want to sell it or get her a late model Mustang convert. So I will keep all the stock stuff and do a reversable conversion. I guess its like all marriages (trade offs) I dont really blame her though manuals can get tiring as we get older. So my plan is make her happy and I'm happy. Now which is the difference between a 200r4 and a 700r4?

G
#11 ·
I want to thank all of you for your replys I decided to go with the OD auto and I agree with buying her a differnt car but this car has so many good memorys I cant sell it and if anyone gets a different car I'm buying another Z
Mike

#12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stenn5:
My wife wants me to convert her M 21 to a Automatic, my prblem is which auto should I use? A turbo 350 or a 700R4? The Camaro in question is a RS/SS 350 4 speed with a 3.73 posi. The engine is mildly built making maybe 350 or so horses.
Thanks,
Mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MIKE, DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THIS CAR? I'D LOVE TO SEE IT! ROO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.