Team Camaro Tech banner

Anyone order fiberglass parts from Unlimited Products (www.up22.com)?

7K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  DjD 
#1 ·
Anyone order fiberglass parts from Unlimited Products (www.up22.com)?

I was wondering what kind of quality their hoods and inner fenders are like. I wanna cut down on weight and sell my cowl hood. If I sell my cowl hood, I probably can't get enough money for a Harwood.

#2 ·
Never used them, but I did do some research with them on their products. They actually have several styles of parts for each item. The trunk lid for example can come as a bolt down/pinned or the piece can come HD with frame support for hinge assembly. I did the same as you as far as asking on the board but the consenses from everyone was for me not to utilize fiberglass. I did, however, purchase the Harwood 4" hood and so far have been very pleased.....

#3 ·
I bought a Z/28 cowl hood (1 1/2 inches) 9 years ago from them and it required very little fitment. It still looks good.

Bolts to hinges, they do sell liteweight springs, but I use a loop of wire around each hinge to hold up in place. Hood pins had to be used, no place to bolt latch.

I would suggest using MrGasket P/N 1017 SS Hood Pins for the sole reason of stainless steel scuff plates, and use stainless hardware to bolt them in place, Phillips head screws so screwdriver won't slip out and scratch hood.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

#4 ·
I ran one of their cowl hoods for many years. It fit fairly well. The hood had waves so it did not look great in black. It is probably one of the lightest hoods/parts out there. Bolt to hinges(had to hog out the holes in the hinges), pins in front, bought light springs and they worked great. I took it off recently to bolt on a NOS GM piece.

The parts from them are not the highest quality but they are very light. I guess it depends on what you want your car to look like and what your budget is.

-Mark.

#5 ·
I agree with Stingr69. I have the hood and inner fenders. The inner fenders are real nice. They fit well.

The hood is for sale if you want it. I also have the hood pins and correct lighter springs for the hinges. I went to a steel cowl hood for a more correct car.

Matt

#6 ·
I haven't used any of their stuff, but if you use the "search" function at the top right, you will find lots of negative feedback about their products. Some people have had very bad experiences with their stuff.

#7 ·
I bought a cowl hood off of them several years ago, and it was good quality. But from what I've been hearing, there quality and customer relations has been hurting.
I also have Harwood products and that's some nice stuff.
Needless to say, my hood still looks goods, but I will now buy from VFD or Harwood.
Bruce

#8 ·
I got a cowl hood and bumpers from them a few years ago.

The hood was very wavy and poorly finished on the bottom and edges.

The bumpers were just rough cut and needed a lot of trimming.

I sold the hood, and went with a Harwood, no comparison...Harwood is superior in every way.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTophttp://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

#9 ·
I bought one of their bolt on fiberglass hoods for my 77 about 10 years ago..... it didnt fit worth a crap. No matter what I did (short of cutting a big piece off), the back edge prevented me from having the windshied wipers on. When I took them off, the hood fit, but the pivot sprocket was right up against the hood. To get it to fit, I would have had to do some major modification. This was not a "little trimming" modification.

I sent it back and they charged my a restocking fee of like 15%. I pitched a fit since it was their crappy products fault, not me changing my mind etc. and finally had to take them to court. I won, but never saw a dime.

Granted this was like 10 years ago, but I will never order from them ever again.

Go with the Harwood.... much better company in my opinion.

#10 ·
I've heard about that "restocking fee." Funny thing though... I just visited their site which is slightly updated and under their shipping information section it talks about their "no hassle return policy." If you don't like it, return it in 30 days no questions asked....

#11 ·
I have their hood on my car. It was very rough on the bottom. The guy who painted my car said he spent as much time working on the hood as he did all of the rest of the car. After the paint cured good the fiberglass mat started showing through. You can see all of the braces through the top side. My painter gets sick every time he sees it. It did fit well though. I got the kind without the latch in front. One of my friends got the one that uses the stock latch. It worked all right. I also tried the inner fenders and trunk lid, but my painter talked me into getting rid of them.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

#12 ·
they may say no hassle return policy, but it will cost you a fortune. i ordered 2 nova fenders from them 150 a piece plus 86 for shipping. i didnt like the quality, tried to return them,was told 300 to return ship them. the shipping company said the get a good price for shipping due to there volume,but i couldnt get that return service. so i still have the fenders in the trusses of my shed. bought glasstek's instead very nice.

#13 ·
I believe I know the answer to the "re-stocking fee" question...... When I bought my Chevelle hood a couple of months ago they said 3-5 weeks delivery, because they lay them up on order. the inner "frame was previously made and the skin is layed up n order. This way the don't have to sit on a large variety of hoods. An "A" body frame will make 4 different hoods........

BTW, the fit,underside, and edges are crappy. However, it was cheap and light for my racecar........

------------------
"Laissez Le Bon Temp Rouler' Cha!"
1.64 60ft.
7.67 1/8 mi.
12.23 @ 110
12.18@108
Chevytalk Moderator
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
My Car
11's or Bust! Club

#14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JungleJim:
...the fit,underside, and edges are crappy. However, it was cheap and light for my racecar........ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you hit the nail on the head!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>From the front page of their site:
COMPETITION PROVEN, HANDMADE FIBERGLASS COMPONENTS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This stuff isn't made to be OEM or show quality. It's light and inexpensive and is intended to be just enough to get the job done. Go look at a real race car, it's meant to be seen from the stands not the show floor.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.