Team Camaro Tech banner

New Vintage gauges

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  DT 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I used them in my 68 build. I don't think I would buy them again.

Resistor for tach was wrong and the guy at NVU was a d-bag when I called. I wanted to let them know they had the wrong resistors in the packaging and he acted like I had no clue how to read an ohm meter or read color bands. I also didn't like the speedo function. It was calibrated to 4000 revs per mile but my GMPP liked 2000 revs per mile in the learning mode. Speedo lost calibration once, no idea why, and since I new the revs I tried to manually input and you can't put anything in lower than like 3000 in. So I called again and the same guy told me my new GMPP controller was junk and it should be 4000.

If I did it again I would have used Dakota Digital I think. The NVU looks nice but between the customer service and the guages not being accurate, hard to explain, I wasn't impressed.

#7 ·
If you are planning on doing a LS swap, I would consider the Dakota Digital VHX gauges. I have them in my LS swap. The kit comes with everything you would ever need to put it on any SBC/BBC and whenever you swap in an LS, you add their OBD2 BIM module that connects to the computer that takes the readings off of the LS PCM directly for your gauge readings. Another option to think about.

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks Chris, yes I'm doing an LS swap. New Vintage told me they explored the PCM connection option and it is not reliable. Wow, I really liked the New Vintage gauges too. Sounds like they might not be up to the task.

#9 ·
Donny, I can't speak for the New Vintage OBD connection but the DD one is rock solid. I use the OBD connection for oil, water temp, check engine light and you can read other parameters the PCM is reading like IAT and trans temps depending on what harness and trans you have (auto). Depending on what LS (either drive by wire or cable) you go with, they even have a cruise control that is plug and play with the drive by wire stuff. I like the NV look though, very retro. If you have anymore questions for the VHX stuff let me know. Good luck deciding on gauges ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.