Team Camaro Tech banner

1968 and 1969

899 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ilikeike 
#1 ·
Went to a car show and got inspired by a 1972 Porsche 911 to get in to restoring old cars. My ultimate goal would be to restore an old Porsche, but in the mean time I have access to a '68 Camaro and a '69 Camaro. They've been sitting out on a piece of property for a while now (15 years?). One in an open field, the other in a barn.

I am brand new to this. What should I expect to get them into running condition as far as cost and hours are concerned? Where do I start?

Thanks,

Spencer

#2 ·
Welcome! No one is going to be able to answer those questions without more info. It could be as simple and changing all the fluids, a good battery and gas, and hitting the key, or it could be a thorough overhaul of all the systems to get them to run/stop/drive safely. After 15 years sitting, I'm leaning toward the latter. Brakes and tires should be your first consideration. More than likely mice/chipmunks/critters have had their way with the wiring, too.

#3 ·
Welcome Spencer...photos would definitely help to answer some of your questions. Personally, I'd lean toward the barn find being somewhat protected from the environment. Not to dissuade you, but, restoration is not cheap so be ready for an eye opener. Shoot us some pics...

#5 ·
Welcome, Spencer,
Look at both and look thoroughly - over, around, and beneath, for rust issues of floorboards, rocker panels, frame structures, window areas, and subframe.
As said, it won't be cheap, I'm sure you know this since you have been working on Porsche's.
Take plenty of pictures for reference.

#8 ·
Welcome!

What is your goal with these cars? Just to get them to drive on their own so you can flip them? Or to do a concourse restoration on them? Or somewhere in between? You could be looking at anywhere between $2-3K upwards of $30-40K, or double if there is allot of rust and it's a rare car with hard to find parts. People's definition of "running condition" like you mentioned varies considerably!

For as Porsches, check out the PelicanParts forum for what it takes to restore those. I used to be into P-cars years ago myself. Rennlist is a great P-car forum as well.

#9 ·
Welcome.

If you have a shop or large garage space with lots of tools,and some experience using them it will help.
I told a friend before he bought an old 1960s muscle car to get his garage and tool$ setup while he's shopping for his car, he didn't. It didn't take him long to understand why I was telling him that, LOL.

It gets real real expensive if you don't do most of the work yourself.

If the barn car was somewhat prepared before storage,you may have a fairly easy job of it, but a 48 year old car sitting out in a field for over a decade without some rust repair or panel replacement would be a miracle. But it's still fun if you have the sickness, and the $.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.