Team Camaro Tech banner

ZDDP Levels - A List for Various Oils

12K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  frankk 
#1 ·
Recent posts soliciting oil recommendations and related comments about zinc and phosphorous levels in various oils peaked my curiosity so I put together the attached table showing the Zn and P levels for a few popular oils. I've not attempted to provide a comprehensive list and your oil may not be on the list. If you have more interest I'd suggest consulting the MSDS or Product Technical Sheet for any oil you're considering, don't take my word for it. I just wanted to provide a starting point from which to begin your research or if you're using an oil with less ZDDP than you want it may be time to reconsider your choice. A level of ZDDP of about 1200 ppm seems to be the recommended minimum and levels that are too high may create certain negative unintended consequences.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for putting that together. I've been using the Brad Penn oils since I wiped my cam on Mobile1. Seems like I've made a good choice.

In a pinch I'll substitute VR-1. Also looks good when nothing else better is around.

#5 ·
I was surprised to see that there is quite a difference in the ZDDP levels in Mobil 1 10W-30 versus 15W-50. The 15W-50 should be ok for a flat tappet cam. I believe that the heavier weight oils are not subject to the same zinc and phosphorous limits as the lighter weight oils.

#6 ·
Is that the same company that made/makes "Golden Spectro" that we all swore by for our dirt bikes years ago? They probably still do, but I've been out of it for 15+ years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.