Team Camaro Tech banner

Big Block Front Springs

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  jamesriediger 
#1 ·
It's probably been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find it by searching. Is there any way to tell big block springs from small block springs for the front?

I have a picture if that would be of any help...

#3 ·
Holy cow, you're right about the search not working. There was a ton of info before the site was reconfigured. If worse comes to worse, I can go through what I printed to get you what you need.

Out of the car, you can tell a BB spring because it is taller. I posted the part number stamped into the end coil on mine and found out they were Moog 638, BB but soft. I have a spreadsheet that Sci-Flyer gave me with data for a bunch of Moog coils that I can send you if you need it.

Problem with putting in new stock height springs is that they always seem to make the car sit like an old school gasser for quite a while. I knocked a coil of my 638s to drop and stiffen, but I haven't had all the sheetmetal on or driven it yet, so I have no idea right now if it's too low or still too soft.

As far as aftermarket springs, all are much stiffer than stock. Highest factory spring was about 380 lb/in, while most aftermarket springs are 500, 600 and up. I'm not sure how smooth the roads are in MO, but the 502 lb/in springs in my 68 are stiffer than I'd like. Depends on what you're after...

I'm going to keep going at the search on here from different angles and see if I can find the info you need.

#5 ·
Not sure if this helps any, but here's a pic of the springs in it next to the lower control arm when i was redoing the suspension.

I dont know if there's as much of a difference to tell from that, but all I know is that they were long enough to be a HUGE pain in the butte putting them back in the car.

Also, what's the best way to restore rear leafs. They are mechanically sound, got new rubber and all, but what can i paint them with that they'll look good and not flake off under stress? They might look ok if I just spray em off, but I'd like it to look as nice as possible. (This is the first car i've ever restored to this extent, and i'm only 19 and on a budget :p)

And just a bit of praise, the couple threads i've posted here have had the best responses i've gotten on any board i've ever been on. Quickest, most detailed and professional, and most informative. I've been on boards for the Grand National and the 83 z28 and the Turbo minivan, etc, but this one tops em all. Keep up the good work :)

#6 ·
Praise right back at you. To be 19 and doing what you are, you're okay in my book. At your age I had a 20/20 67 coupe that nearly killed me because I was making it fast without being able to stop (manual drums + 110 mph on interstate + semi changing lanes = messy pants).

Based on the control arm being about 15" high, the coil being the same or a little less, and the number of coils, I'm guessing those are small block springs. My BB springs had a few more coils (I looked for photos, but can't find 'em), and they were about 16.5" tall.

How are you planning for the car to handle and ride? Coils aren't too expensive, between $60 and $150 a pair or so. If you want a close to stock ride, with just a little drop, you probably want something like a stock replacement with a coil lopped off. If you want stiff and more drop, something like a Global West or Hotchkis spring may be the ticket.

Have you checked out all the info at David Pozzi's excellent site, www.pozziracing.com ? Lots of info there.

#7 ·
As for ride quality/handling. I'm not going so much for a handling car because of the iron headed big block that's gonna be up front in a no optioned car hardly will mess with weight balance something awful. I'd like it to be a little better than stock, maybe a little lower, but for the most part just have correct big block springs in it. Good thing i'm pulling the spindles and replacing it with some disc brake ones my dad got in on a 71 cutlass 442 (antique auto salvage makes things pretty cheap and easy :)), so i'll replace the springs at that time too. Car had manual drum brakes too, and I decided after I redid the whole suspension it probably wasnt the best idea to leave the manual 4 wheel drums. LOL

Eventually I think I may convert everything to 4 wheel discs and add that new air suspension stuff front and rear after it's been tested and proven, I like the idea of easily adjusting ride height and handling. So 60-150$ for stock type coil springs right now sounds good to me :D

Yeah, i've been over most of that site at least once before and some stuff twice :). I was kinda figuring that my springs were probably small block ones after I found out about the frame mounts. The car is a conglomeration right now of small block, 6 cylinder, and big block stuff. LOL

It has the correct 3.31 posi rear end and gears both date coded correctly for the car, a single fuel line coming out the tank (might have been swapped), 5 leaf multileaf springs in the rear, 6 cylinder non-staggered rear lower shock mounts, i guess small block frame mounts and springs up front, big block heater stuff that i think may have been added actually, and all other SS stuff, non-ss hood hinge springs...

I just don't know anymore, I'm starting to think it may have been a small block SS converted to a big block only swapping the heater stuff or something... At least I know it's a v8 car by the VIN :). I'm gonna stop worrying about it and build the 454 block I have anyway and convert whatever else to big block and the right mounts and suspension and everything and call it a day. It's not a complete original restoration so i'm gonna do it my way, I just will stop saying it was a big block SS and say it might have been a big block SS originally, but it is now :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.