Team Camaro Tech banner

noises

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Fried Okra 
#1 ·
Ok, I'll try to be brief. I drive a 69 camaro with a 350, 350th, 10bolt, 3:90. Owned it a couple of months now and have experienced an unusual noise from the engine bay. it only occurs when rpms reach 4200-4300, it sounds like a pretty high pitched squeal, almost like belt slippage. The water pump looks like a stock iron unit, ps pump is stock as well, alternator is either stock or inexpensive replacement. Belts are tight and in good repair. I've thought about trying to drive through the noise, but it's pretty loud, and rather than ruin something I figured I'd ask first. Oh yea, pretty stock engine, mild cam, holley 4160, edelbrock performer rpm air gap. I don't know any of the internal engine specifics. Heads look stock also. Hooker super comp headers, 2.5" exhaust.

I'm thinking of replacing water pump to alum hi-flow unit soon. Hopefully, that will solve prob. anyone experience anything similar, or know if this is an indication of something that needs fixed/replaced.

Thanks again, you guys are great, I tell everyone that will listen, about this site.

#5 ·
I have the same problem at the moment- comes up to 4000 rpm and starts to squeal!...a spray of WD40 did nothing...I've been told it's probably a loose belt to the alternator (I run a march pulley system) so will have a go at that!

#7 ·
I bought a Nissan pickup several years ago from a guy that said it had a bad cam bearing because it would squeal occasionally. Tightened the belts, put 40,000 miles on it and still made $2000 when I sold it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.