A message from Scott Settlemire about the new Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jan 4th, 08, 06:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

A message from Scott Settlemire about the new Camaro

This was posted by Scott on 5thgen.org yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I've always said that one of the best parts of owning a Camaro is the 'people' part........we are blessed to have so many people who feel so passionate about this great nameplate.

I've spent a lot of time on this (and many other) sites over the past dozen years because I felt that it was important to have the 'pulse' of the enthusiast. I also feel it's appropriate at times to give some hints (wink, wink) and answer questions.

Now -- all that said -- I can also tell you that --at times -- it's been a huge source of frustration as well.

We (that's you and me) need to remember that we (that's you and me) are not the 'end all' of what is and is not Camaro.

I have said in many meetings over the years that those of us within GM that work on Camaro/Firebird/Corvette are but the custodians of the brand.

We are not the brand.

We are the CUSTODIANS of the brand.

And I can tell you that it's something that every person who has worked on -- or is working on -- these brands understands that idea.........

I'd ask everyone on this site to keep the same thing in mind. Yes -- you may be an absolutely "dyed in the wool" enthusiast -- but please understand that while there are things you many not like -- we must keep ALL enthusiasts in mind as we design/engineer/build these wonderful cars.

You may not like, say, a seat fabric -- and that's fine -- but at the same time, 95% of our other enthusiasts may love it or find it acceptable...............in fact, it doesn't take you long on this site or any other site to realize that there is no way we -- or any other manufacturer -- will ever get 100% agreement on anything!

We must balance everything so that the enthusiast will love it -- but so will vast numbers of other people who may not be an enthusiast -- but take one look at a new Camaro and fall in love with it....and just HAVE to have one in their garage.......

Yes -- we'd love to give you a 900 horsepower Camaro that gets 35mpg and has 25 available exterior colors with 20 interior colors -- all for $19,995..........but that is about as realistic as me marrying Sandy Bullock or Daisy Fuentes or Christie Brinkley...........

The Camaro MUST be realistically priced so that most -- if not all -- of you can afford one.........

That's why I constantly ask people to keep a sense of 'decorum' as we (that's you and me) discuss the Camaro (and other cars...)

I'm sorry, but "That looks like *ss" is NOT appropriate for this site or any other (Admins - correct me if I'm wrong....) ....because, you see -- when you type something like that, you insult many people...and while you may not like it, 80 percent of other enthusiasts may think it's great and like it.

(and please -- to a certain person in the state of Illinois ...please don't post an unscientific survey because of this post.......)

Now....with that said -- I talked with John F. (Fbodfather 2.0) today after the interior pics leaked from the car carrier..........and we both believe it's important to talk about where these cars are in terms of production intent.

As you look at the uncammo'd cars (and yes, we will be posting some other pictures in the near future) -- and as you look at the unauthorized pictures of the interior........PLEASE KEEP THE FOLLOWING IN MIND:

1. None of these mules are anywhere near complete. Most parts are pre-production parts. If I had to assign a 'percentage' -- I'd say the cars are at 65% of production intent........

2. Some of the parts you see aren't even close to what you'll see on the production Camaro. For instance -- if you were to suddenly see a Camaro without the front bra in place -- you'd see some 'horrible' headlamps. There's a good reason for that...the production lamps are not ready - -and as a result - many of the mules have what I call....
" ..hey Joe - go run down to the local autoparts store and grab us a buncha headlamps and then go hot-glue 'em in place on those Camaro mules over there!!!!".........headlamps.............

..........see what I mean? So -- see something that doesn't look right? Hang in there -- it's likely to change!!!

3. Mules are usually painted white for a good reason -- I'll get into that one of these days -- but yes -- we know some of you don't want white -- but we aren't about to paint 'em every shade of the rainbow for testing.....patience, my friend -- patience!

4. Interior pictures are very misleading. As I said above, many of the parts are either pre-production -- 'off the shelf' parts to serve as placeholders -- or hard plastic and used only as a 'stand in.'
(Remember when I said a few weeks ago that the hips didn't disappear? Remember that a few of you didn't believe me? )

Keep something in mind today and tomorrow and next week and next month and next year.........................

........If one of us (John, Cheryl, myself, etc) say something -- we mean it. I plan to be on this and other sites for a long time to come. We don't intentionally lie. That's not our style.

Sooooooooo...............

let's keep the conversation going. Let's keep the faith..... (remember when I said that wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in August of 2001 when I said "the Camaro WILL be back??".......

Please -- I'm begging you -- please hold off in final judgement until you see the finished product. If there's something you see that you don't like -- it's OK to discuss -- but let's hold off with the insults -- and let's also respect each others' opinions.

Finally -- you can be ASSURED that the final production Camaro is the most researched and most 'Camaro enthusiast injected' (sorry - couldn't quickly think of how to put that....) Camaro ever.......

.......and when the smoke clears sometime in 2008 -- I think 99% of you are gonna love it. To the other 1% -- sorry -- we tried!

(and NO, the production Camaro will not be at NAIAS -- Bumblebee, however, WILL be there ....and just mebbe wearing a new set of wheels to replace the plastic wheelcovers......)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 4th, 08, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: A message from Scott Settlemire about the new Camaro

He is 100% accurate in his statement........

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/[email protected] 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
satz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 4th, 08, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Team Member

Send a message via ICQ to clwilcox33 Send a message via MSN to clwilcox33 Send a message via Yahoo to clwilcox33

Good post.

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
clwilcox33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 4th, 08, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

About time someone spoke up about what people are saying. I like the part about it being 'Camaro enthusiast injected'. That is very cool. It might be more than 1% that does not like it but I bet that does not mean they will try to win over what ever percentage that ends up being.

Joe
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Joe Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 4th, 08, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I wonder who the "Illinois" person may be that he calls out?

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/[email protected] 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
satz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 08, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey thanks for posting this Fotoboy

So Dear Scott, Your comments are very well taken But I and most of my friends had camaros and firebirds in the early years. The camaro was a no frills basic pony car that you could build on with one's own parts and ideas. To say that you could not offer one around 20K for a base price seems to strike me kinda funny. I have talked to hundereds
of people who think the same way I do and please don't think that I am trying to vent here or anything just something for you and gm to think about.

I know that the majority of people like air and autos and the frilly stuff but there are a lot of us old guys who would like to see a new camaro with the cheap cloth seats chepo interior. no power windows or locks or that kind of stuff. But us real performance guys want a big powerplant a tough rear axle that is not made of glass and nice smooth shifting trans. The less frills the better.

I always talk to first gen owners and they would not trade their cars for anything and when I drive my 68 firebird I get tons of looks. This new car needs to be affordable just like the camaro was in '67 and if the price ballons then sale will be flat like the GTO was. Performance cars need to be made with the peformance person in mind that. GM needs to go back and look at what made the first gen f-cars the greatest just look at the prices skyrocket on those cars.
I will not buy a new GM car untill it's made the way I like it not the way someone else likes it. Still keep up the good work
Thanks Bob [please send this for me fotoboy]

From a buddy on this site wanted me to post this for him.

http://twincityoutlaws.com/showthread.php?t=73
fotoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 08, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoboy View Post
Hey thanks for posting this Fotoboy

So Dear Scott, Your comments are very well taken But I and most of my friends had camaros and firebirds in the early years. The camaro was a no frills basic pony car that you could build on with one's own parts and ideas. To say that you could not offer one around 20K for a base price seems to strike me kinda funny. I have talked to hundereds
of people who think the same way I do and please don't think that I am trying to vent here or anything just something for you and gm to think about.

I know that the majority of people like air and autos and the frilly stuff but there are a lot of us old guys who would like to see a new camaro with the cheap cloth seats chepo interior. no power windows or locks or that kind of stuff. But us real performance guys want a big powerplant a tough rear axle that is not made of glass and nice smooth shifting trans. The less frills the better.

I always talk to first gen owners and they would not trade their cars for anything and when I drive my 68 firebird I get tons of looks. This new car needs to be affordable just like the camaro was in '67 and if the price ballons then sale will be flat like the GTO was. Performance cars need to be made with the peformance person in mind that. GM needs to go back and look at what made the first gen f-cars the greatest just look at the prices skyrocket on those cars.
I will not buy a new GM car untill it's made the way I like it not the way someone else likes it. Still keep up the good work
Thanks Bob [please send this for me fotoboy]

From a buddy on this site wanted me to post this for him.

http://twincityoutlaws.com/showthread.php?t=73

Thanks for the note --

While we haven't announced pricing for the Camaro (that's the last 'fight' we have --usually the night before pricing is announced -- ) -- you can be assured that we know the Camaro is a price-sensitive car. We'd like it to fall along the lines of a Mustang.

Now - that said -- you can pretty much forget seeing manual windows.

Why?

Because it actually costs us more to engineer TWO inner door mechanisms. Yes - there are a few that would like manual windows -- but the majority want 'em -- and in order to bring the car in at an affordable price -- we look at EVERYTHING. (we'll have a brawl over 26 cents a car!)

Believe it or not -- we talked to a lot of Camaro/Firebird/Mustang enthusiasts as we developed this car -- and these interviews have been taking place since the 4th gen rode off into the sunset.

Bottom line is that yes, we did offer a lot of options in 1967 -- and yes, you could order a Camaro without air/power windows/radio/power steering/power brakes. -- but the world has changed --

Tidbit: we offered over 15 MILLION build combinations in the 1997 model year -- to build less than 100,000 cars. That's kinda crazy -- because the costs to do so are staggering.

Now -- I know that some of you are probably thinking -- "well -- here we go again - another 'corporate type' who doesn't have a clue" -- and I can understand perhaps why you may think that --

.........but -- I spend most of my weekends with Camaro enthusiasts from all over the United States and Canada -- and I try to balance what people are thinking -- and I can assure you that the entire Camaro Team is working to bring you the best Camaro ever.

Keep the faith........I think you're gonna love this car.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 08, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Team Member

Send a message via ICQ to clwilcox33 Send a message via MSN to clwilcox33 Send a message via Yahoo to clwilcox33

Thank you Scott for personally signing up to add your comments to this thread.
Welcome to Team Camaro!

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
clwilcox33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 08, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Thanks for the note --

While we haven't announced pricing for the Camaro (that's the last 'fight' we have --usually the night before pricing is announced -- ) -- you can be assured that we know the Camaro is a price-sensitive car. We'd like it to fall along the lines of a Mustang.

Why?

Because it actually costs us more to engineer TWO inner door mechanisms. Yes - there are a few that would like manual windows -- but the majority want 'em -- and in order to bring the car in at an affordable price -- we look at EVERYTHING. (we'll have a brawl over 26 cents a car!)

Believe it or not -- we talked to a lot of Camaro/Firebird/Mustang enthusiasts as we developed this car -- and these interviews have been taking place since the 4th gen rode off into the sunset.

Bottom line is that yes, we did offer a lot of options in 1967 -- and yes, you could order a Camaro without air/power windows/radio/power steering/power brakes. -- but the world has changed --

Tidbit: we offered over 15 MILLION build combinations in the 1997 model year -- to build less than 100,000 cars. That's kinda crazy -- because the costs to do so are staggering.

Now -- I know that some of you are probably thinking -- "well -- here we go again - another 'corporate type' who doesn't have a clue" -- and I can understand perhaps why you may think that --

.........but -- I spend most of my weekends with Camaro enthusiasts from all over the United States and Canada -- and I try to balance what people are thinking -- and I can assure you that the entire Camaro Team is working to bring you the best Camaro ever.

This should be your new home for "ALL" things Camaro since it's the best damn Camaro website on the planet or anyplace else where it can be viewed

Welcome to TC

Joe
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Joe Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 08, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the note --

Why?

I myself and very excited to have a new maro! Looking forward to the oportunity to have a first gen and a fourth gen in my stall!
fotoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 10th, 08, 03:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Scott, thanks for joining us!
As Christropher said, Team Camaro is THE PLACE to talk about all things Camaro.
I like the look of the new car, and I hope a droptop can find it's way into my garage ASAP!

And yes, it will have power windows, and a full leather interior, and hopefully heated seats and a GPS in the dash!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 10th, 08, 04:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

I believe it is an honor to have Mr. Settlemire here especially for him to give his thoughts, both personal and corporate, on the Production Road of the new Fifth Generation Camaro.

As said, you can please some of the people all the time, but not all of the people some of the time.

I am waiting for the final product for the final decision. I'm one of those on the fence deciding which way to fall. So far, I like what I see on the outside and some of the interior.

Welcome from the Beach, Mr. Settlemire.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 10th, 08, 05:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Thanks for the note --

Why?

Scott - glad you made it over

There are many here who get what you say above and there will always be the few who don't - I think you've seen that more than once, especially on forums such as this one.

Thanks for joining Team Camaro

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
Old Jan 10th, 08, 06:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Hi Scott - Glad to have you join in our forums. I have a question I have not found addressed on the other sites and know you would be the one to have the answer.

With production scheduled for the last quarter of 2008 and on sale the first quarter of 2009 why is the Camaro being offered as a 2010? Reflecting back to the first year second gen's delayed release, it was still offered as a 1970 not a 1971. Any insite you can share would be appreciated.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 10th, 08, 06:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Dennis - I hear what you are asking. In recent years it is not uncommon for automakers to start a car during the first quarter of say 2007 and call it a 2008 model. I'm not sure what the rational has been, but this has been a common trend.

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in