Concept Camaro Pics in Baltimore - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Feb 10th, 08, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Concept Camaro Pics in Baltimore

Here are some pictures of the 2010 Camaro at the Baltimore concept car show. I think its looks ten times better than the challenger hands down. As for the people saying the Camaro is a bad design they must not have a Chevy taste in there mouth. The only thing that I don't like about it is that its not an 2009 to be forty years apart from my 69.I cant wait how bout you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	5621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	5622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	5623  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	5624  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pro-Street69Camaro468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 10th, 08, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Concept Camaro Pics in Baltimore

Dave, nobody is saying that it's a bad design per se, but rather that the new Camaro doesn't look much like a 1st gen, which I think was the original GM goal. And further, that the Mustang and Challenger are big hits because they actually, strongly resemble what they were intended to resemble. In other words, the other companies hit the retro look on the head, and GM failed miserably in their attempt to do the same kind of thing. I think the 09/10 Camaro is a beautiful car. Stylish, sleek, etc... It just doesn't look like a 1st gen Camaro, and I think that's why you hear "disappointed" remarks about it.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
dbx1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 10th, 08, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
Dave, nobody is saying that it's a bad design per se, but rather that the new Camaro doesn't look much like a 1st gen, which I think was the original GM goal. And further, that the Mustang and Challenger are big hits because they actually, strongly resemble what they were intended to resemble. In other words, the other companies hit the retro look on the head, and GM failed miserably in their attempt to do the same kind of thing. I think the 09/10 Camaro is a beautiful car. Stylish, sleek, etc... It just doesn't look like a 1st gen Camaro, and I think that's why you hear "disappointed" remarks about it.
Well said! I agree. This car would have made a nice transition to 6th generation. Minus the goofy grille.
Old Feb 11th, 08, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Did you read any quotes from GM when it came to how the Camaro Concept was created? They were very clear when they stated they did not want the car to look too much like the original...

Here is just one of many accounts:

=========
(from GM Press Release) Combining dramatic design and exciting performance, the Chevrolet Camaro Concept recaptures the spirit of one of the most popular sport coupes of all time and redefines the Camaro for new generations of fans.

The Camaro Concept embodies the performance and passion that have made first-generation Camaros some of the most sought-after collector cars, updating the formula with a fuel-efficient powertrain, sophisticated chassis and contemporary design execution. The goal is to make the sport coupe relevant to younger enthusiasts while retaining its appeal to its current fans.

“Millions of people of all ages fell in love with the Camaro for all of the right reasons,” said Ed Welburn, GM vice president, global design. “Camaros were beautiful to look at and offered performance that could rival expensive European GTs. Yet they were practical enough to drive every day and priced within the reach of many new car buyers.”

Though only a show car at this point, the Camaro Concept is intended to explore customer reaction to design and engineering elements that might lead to an all-new version of the Camaro.

The long hood, short deck and wide stance of the Camaro Concept leave no doubt that it is a serious performance car. Those looks are backed up by a 400-horsepower aluminum small-bock V-8, a six-speed manual transmission, and a sophisticated chassis with four-wheel independent suspension.

Like its forebears, the Camaro Concept would be practical enough for everyday use. It features fuel-saving features like Active Fuel Management™ cylinder deactivation technology, yielding highway fuel economy of 30 mpg or better. Its overall size is a comfortable fit for city streets and suburban parking lots, and its back seat provides occasional seating for two adults.

Lean, muscular design

Because of Camaro’s powerful heritage, the GM Design team chose a theme that pays homage to the original Camaro, while being instantly recognizable as an all-new car.

Said Bob Boniface, director of the Warren Advanced Design Studio, “The fact that the Camaro has been out of production for a number of years made it particularly important that the Camaro Concept honors the Camaro heritage in the right way.”

The 1969 Camaro, considered by many to be the best first-generation design, was a significant inspiration. But as GM design teams in Warren, Mich., worked on alternatives for the Camaro Concept, they also turned to the latest Corvette and to aircraft like the YF-22, seeking a design that encompasses the spirit that made the 1969 Camaro great, but interprets that spirit in a fresh, exciting way.

“The overall proportions, long hood and powerful fender forms say, ‘This is a front-engine, rear-wheel drive performance vehicle,’ ” said Tom Peters, design director, rear-wheel drive performance cars. The prominent front grille and hood bulge hint at the power of the Corvette-inspired V-8 engine. Large wheels and tires, exposed high-performance brakes and prominent fender shapes signal that the Camaro Concept has the handling and braking to go with the powertrain.

The cockpit of the Camaro nestles between sharply defined fender forms, a design element inspired by fighter planes and the new Corvette. And like any high-performance vehicle, the clean, purposeful design is integral to the aesthetic. “The Camaro Concept isn’t just a styled shape,” said Peters. “The design incorporates what the vehicle needs to perform to its optimum level.”

The same purposeful design is reflected in the interior of the Camaro Concept. The gauges and splash of orange trim hint at classic first-generation Camaros, but the overall design and execution reflect the no-nonsense functionality that drivers expect from a high-performance Chevrolet sports car.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...ro-Concept.htm
=========

Im aware this forum isnt the largest fan base for the car, but GM did exactly what they intended to do with the design of this new ride. I just hope CAFE and other corporate changes keeps it around for a while.

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 11th, 08, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Unfortunately for GM, most of the people who would purchase the car do want it to take most of it styling from the first gen Camaro's, the 69 model year specifically. Once it finally gets here (about 2 years to late) we will see if the consumers will take to the design or not. Of course if they are going to cost 40K like the Challenger, GM might as well shut down the project today.

Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 11th, 08, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Did you read any quotes from GM when it came to how the Camaro Concept was created? They were very clear when they stated they did not want the car to look too much like the original...

"Combining dramatic design and exciting performance, the Chevrolet Camaro Concept recaptures the spirit of one of the most popular sport coupes of all time and redefines the Camaro for new generations of fans.
And these ^ are the key words here, imho. You can't "recapture the spirit of one of the most popular sport coupes of all time" ...and redefine the same car for a new generation...at the same time. I mean, think about it; It kinda says, "we were going for the look, but....not!!!". Sounds worse than the politicians lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Unfortunately for GM, most of the people who would purchase the car do want it to take most of it styling from the first gen Camaro's, the 69 model year specifically. Once it finally gets here (about 2 years to late) we will see if the consumers will take to the design or not. Of course if they are going to cost 40K like the Challenger, GM might as well shut down the project today.
Yep. And that's a key factor in the success arena. Ford hit a home run with the Mustang simply because they found a way to make it look like the original...and they priced it right to the base demographic they were after.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
dbx1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 12th, 08, 04:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

As stated before, lucky for GM TC is a very small percentage of the target market

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 12th, 08, 05:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:

Well stated. I have done much griping about this new Camaro, and this sums it up very nicely. GM missed the retro boat with this Camaro design, but at least it's better than the horrible "GTO", lol..............
Chevy-SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 12th, 08, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

IMHO this is a car that I and my wife are looking forward to be sitting in are driveway,the boat was not missed it was a definite hit at first sight. This is not one of those cars that have to grow on you this is a hit as far as I am concerned and all this stated have you seen it in person it made it to the show where was the challenger??? I don't really care that it wasn't at the show. I sat in a VW beetle that I would buy before the challenger.Does the new Camaro have to look like the first gen to appeal to you it doesn't to me.I don't know what it is about it that draws me to it may be the fact that it was gone for a while because no other Camaros besides the first gen really appeal to me.I am 6'-5" 300 lbs if I can fit in it we will have one regardless of the price.

Pro-Street69Camaro468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 12th, 08, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

IMO... the new Camaro needs more first generation look (a blend of all 3 years ) and still have modern appeal. It looks too squashed, and the front end still looks odd. Probably best with the round wheel wells like 67-68, not sure how the 69 square wheel wells would look on this. It's too bad they didn't start with a 2007 40 year anniversary release, like others said.
Old Feb 12th, 08, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Mustang and Challenger captured the retro styling that many of us "baby boomers" are so in love with. I am 56 years old, perhaps that's why I like retro so much. Boomers are a huge buying force right now, controlling much of the country's assets and wealth. We finally have the money we did not typically have at age 18. It would behoove a company (like GM) to pay close attention to boomers. GM did not pay any attention to boomers when they produced the horrid Pontiac GTO a few years back and it fell on its' face. They did a much better job with this new Camaro, but still not as good as the Mustang or Challenger IMHO.

But this is just me speaking as a 56-year old boomer. I'll bet most 35-year olds love the new Camaro. I'm sure it will be a nice car, just not looking enough like a first gen, but very nice.

It would be interesting to do a poll based on age to see if the older guys are more biased towards retro styling, or perhaps age does not matter?????

-
Chevy-SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 13th, 08, 05:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Tech

There was a recent 2 hour infomercial for the Camaro. It was called Transformers. Every Camaro my 5yo and 3yo boys see is "Bumblebee".
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in