New Camaro vs. OLD (why wrong picture)? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Apr 8th, 08, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Dale8346
New Camaro vs. OLD (why wrong picture)?

Does anyone else find this strange???
This web site
http://www.firstgencamaro.com/index.html
has this picture below if you hit their Home Page Button, then click on the new Camaro with the GM picture hung in the background and page down.

Looking at this picture of the Camaro's comparing old to new. It says this is a 69 compared to a 2008.
SURE LOOKS LIKE A 68 to me.
Hate to say it guys, but the exterior of the new Camaro looks WAY more like a 67-68 then a 69.
For sure that is not a 69. If it is a 69 it has cut out and flared wheel wells. Kind of a weird comparison if you ask me, by calling it a 69. What do you think??
The interior for sure looks like the 1969. I think a beautiful car, no matter what. But, to compare to a 1969 is for sure not accurate and neither is the picture.
Dale8346 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 8th, 08, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: New Camaro vs. OLD (why wrong picture)?

I have thought that as well... maybe the rounded wheel wells tend to give that impression... but still think that the 08 or 09 tends to have the frontal image of the 69.

Actually, the more I see it, the more I'm getting to like it...but still think that a factory type spoiler might have finished off the back end... but then many might think that it was too retro for today's crowd. But that just mpo, eh?

capt
captcanuck68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

The spoiler on the 68' in the picture looks to be from a 70's era Camaro??
Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
The spoiler on the 68' in the picture looks to be from a 70's era Camaro??
You know, I must have looked @ it 10 times, before I admitted that 70's spoiler to myself...I thought that my eyes were deceiving me! Thanks for the confirmation that they weren't.

capt
Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I guess I thought the louvers(on the quarter) made it look like a 69. Call it what you want I like it!
yellow69RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

That's prob what those designers did when they concocted the shape of this new Camaro... a hint of this... a little of this... a dab of that... just to provoke what we are doing right now...seeing the different aspects of this car... interesting!

capt
Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Team Member

Nice sun roof too . . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jr68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Gotta love that flip up sun roof on the 68.
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joe Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 8th, 08, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Dale8346

Isn't it funny that they came up with the "Old" car they wanted, not a real one. I wish someone from GM would clear up this misrepresentation. I would not mind if it really was a 69 their, but I don't get it?
Dale8346 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 8th, 08, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

sometime after afew years of profuction, they will pull the lines off the wheel openings (69 like) as opposed to running a crease down the entire car (67 +69 like)
Old Apr 9th, 08, 12:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
SY1
Senior Tech

Car in background is some sort of custom, 69 tail pipes, 69 seats, Oldsmobile front wheels, deep dish rear mag wheels, 69 ZL2 hood, 70s mirrors, 71 or later 3 piece rear spoiler, sunroof, car's a real mess IMO. Not something you'd use to compare anything to.

But then I don't like the new Camaro either. Front end looks like it's right off an Impala to me. The hardware is awesome, the 99 Mustang wheelwells I could do without. But then GM didn't give their designers a clean slate, but rather a Cadillac Zeta platform to work within. So we get what they can work with. Many will love it, I'm no fan of it.
Old Apr 9th, 08, 05:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

It looks like a 68 to me as well. As far as the new Camaro. The front end reminds me of a 3rd gen Camaro. They got the wheel wells from the 68 close and I don't know about the back, maybe a Corvette or something. Chevrolet really missed a golden opportunity. I hate to say it but Ford hit right dead on the mark as far as the Mustang. It looks like one from the 60's. Chrysler looks like they will be ok with the Challenger. It looks like a Challenger as well.
Oh well maybe they will get it right on the 50th anniversary. Atleast they got them all right in the first gens.
502prostreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 9th, 08, 05:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

So... after looking at the side view of the new Cam... do you think that they should have put a factory spoiler on it? I can see guys buying these, and doing this sort of mod. down the road.

capt
Old Apr 9th, 08, 09:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY1 View Post
Car in background is some sort of custom, 69 tail pipes, 69 seats, Oldsmobile front wheels, deep dish rear mag wheels, 69 ZL2 hood, 70s mirrors, 71 or later 3 piece rear spoiler, sunroof, car's a real mess IMO. Not something you'd use to compare anything to.

But then I don't like the new Camaro either. Front end looks like it's right off an Impala to me. The hardware is awesome, the 99 Mustang wheelwells I could do without. But then GM didn't give their designers a clean slate, but rather a Cadillac Zeta platform to work within. So we get what they can work with. Many will love it, I'm no fan of it.

Thats the quality work they get for shipping the job of making the web site to India or some other place. They could have at least stole a picture off e-bay.
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Joe Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 9th, 08, 04:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Guys,
...I'm sure you realize that pic isn't a "Chevrolet" site, ...whoever did it was most likely just photoshopping an image of the 5th gen into a photo next to their car. I doubt they were trying to show a comparison, ...especially using a '68 with a 70'ish spoiler, sunroof, mismatched wheels, etc, etc.
As mentioned, ...the 5th gen does pick up a number of 1st gen (67-69) traits, ...right down to the subtle detail in the roof. If you see an photo with the right angle, ...you'll notice the 'halo' like roof line, ...somewhat remeniscent of the '69 vinyl top. The small rear spoiler on the car may/will change/be optionally larger, ...depending on model.

Here are a few recent photos worth noting a few 'subtle mods': http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevy...ing-spy-shots/ ...these are from Nurburgring.

Kevin

Last edited by KevinK7; Apr 9th, 08 at 04:16 PM. Reason: update...
KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in