Predictions on the '09 Camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 21st, 08, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Predictions on the '09 Camaro?

Hey guys/gals! What are your predictions on the up and coming new Camaro? Will it be a huge success or a dud? Is GM again coming out of the gates too late... with Mustangs leading the pack? Is there a market out there for it...or will the increasing gas prices shoot it down? What's your take on this future event? It may effect the ones that we now own, eh? I'm curious.

capt
captcanuck68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 08, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: Predictions on the '09 Camaro?

Ours will drastically drop in price and not many of the new ones will sell. Gas is too high and gas getters are too cheap. (please let me be wrong on this.)

sad to say.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wiskeesour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 08, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

GM is too late
XLexusTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 08, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

why would you think the first gens would drop in price?

when the new mustang came out the classic stang prices shot up.
m21man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 08, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

With gas at $5.00 a gallon (which it will be in a few months) nobody is going to buy an '09 Camaro. Day late! Dollar Short! It is starting to look like 1975 all over again. I don't see any reason why that would affect the price of the classics though, since they are not daily drivers.
Old May 21st, 08, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcanuck68 View Post
Hey guys/gals! What are your predictions on the up and coming new Camaro? Will it be a huge success or a dud? Is GM again coming out of the gates too late... with Mustangs leading the pack?
Ford hit a grand slam with the Mustang. Every demographic buys and drives them. Young & old, male & female.

GM may have missed the boat as far as getting mileage (no pun intended) from the retro craze, but I'm not sure the 09' model would have made a bigger impact if it had come out earlier. And I suppose this is the perspective a lot of us are judging by and responding to. As a "stand alone" car, continuing the Camaro name? I think it'll do pretty well. It's a gorgeous car, imho, and it's only disappointing from a "wish it were more 1st gen looking" perspective. GM has previously said it will consider, if not already committed to offering, a 4cyl version, as well as 6 & 8. But I believe pricing will largely confine buying to a much smaller demographic overall. And again, we may as well refrain from even comparing it to Ford's Mustang or Dodge's Challenger as far as success is concerned, as the 09' Camaro is far from a car that evokes memories of early muscle cars.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
dbx1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 08, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

First....I want so much to love the new Camaro, but still not "there" yet....

Predictions (I'm writing these down, placing the paper in a jar of peanut butter,and burying it the back yard. 2 years from now, I will dig it up to see how close )

Anyway- It will be overpriced- GM is really proud of the independent rear axle,and will charge way too much for this feature. (Lutz already made reference to this in an article,calling the Camaro "sophisticated" versus the Mustang, which equals higher price tag)
Guessing the price for a fairly equipped Z28 will be low to mid $30s. Decked out with all options and convertible- $40K plus. Add to that the CERTAIN dealer gouging of $5-$10K OVER MSRP for the first year,and you have a car that will be produced in excess of the demand. The price points predicted are just entirely too much,especially in light of the recent economic slowdown,$4-$5 gallon gas,etc). The car needs to be no more than $30K in coupe configuration with every possible option. This would create waiting lists all over the country. At the end of the day, it comes down to price/value,and for $40K,(hate to say it)I'd buy the Challenger first.

The car is controversial- one look at the comments on this board indicate this fact. The folks who could possibly step up to a $35K Camaro are still not universally head over heels with it.

Bottom line..... If the final versions we've seen are the debut cars, the pricing and marketing had better be right. If the pricing is as high as predicted,there had better be a killer lease program to help folks afford these cars if GM expects to do any substantial volume.

Its not a car people "need", but it had better be one that people want and can afford. I'm not sure GM has hit any of these targets as squarely as they needed to.

Oh, and the first gens will continue to rise in value after the softness in the real estate and financial markets have stabilized.

Last edited by BelAirBob; May 21st, 08 at 05:03 PM.
BelAirBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 08, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well said Bob. I agree 100% (and I drive a 05 GT as a daily driver!).

Rich
rich pern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 08, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I agree with pretty much you said Bob but I think with a higher price tag we wont see 3 at every intersection like the new mustangs making people want it more and not just another car on the road.
Old May 21st, 08, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I hate the new Camaro.
My dad too, he is in love with the new Challenger though.
Those things are amazing looking.
The chances of ever seeing a fifth gen in my driveway are pretty much 0, and most of my dads vehicles have been GM.
SunnyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 08, 08:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
GM is too late

+2

I'll go on record and call this the worst rollout in the history of the automobile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

musclecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 08, 09:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Great points made and excellent perspectives offered. The crew gave me a lot to think about this one. I wonder if over at GM they sat down and really gave this some thought on the new Cam, as you guys did tonight. Makes one wonder what they do at their meetings when it comes to decision making.

capt
captcanuck68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 08, 11:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Kevin and Bob pretty well hit the nail on the head IMO . The Mustang and Challenger capture the essence of the brand and will be identifiable , but the Camaro ................, too little , too late , plus in typical GM fashion , you'll have to load it out to get V-8 power . Yes , they're sort of neat looking , and will probably be better in person , but they don't fire the passion of earlier gens. Good luck GM , Terry

Camaro :

Chevy II :

Too bad stupidity isn't painfull !
cheby2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 08, 05:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tech Team

That boat has already sailed and GM wasn't on it!
Old May 22nd, 08, 06:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I read something about a 6 cld with 300 H.P. that may do well b/c it can drop two cld on light load. If it gets good mileage and well priced it will do ok. I do like the Challenger and tired of the Mustangs everywhere we need some variety out there. Collectors will want the mega H.P. cars. It will be hard for all retro ( tribute cars) cars in general with the conditions today. 5 bucks a gallon is changing things, as it did in the 70s. G.M. lost the best time for selling these in mass.
blue ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in