The new Camaros are Coming!!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 22nd, 08, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

The new Camaros are Coming!!!!!!

Exposed: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Spy shots of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro testing undercover on the track.
By Matt DeLorenzo | Photo-Illustration by Larson and photos by Glenn Paulina/KGP

provided by:

2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Worried that the Camaro is being overexposed before its launch next year, Chevrolet has gone mum with official word about the car, while going to the unusual step of testing cars without camouflage in the hopes that spy photographers and the public would tire of seeing the same cars over and over again. Fat chance.

Recently, the Camaro underwent testing at the Nürburgring and we've taken the liberty of adding some stripes and badging to the cars to give a better picture of what it will look like in production trim. Our sources tell us the sheet metal on the test cars is accurate, so what you see in terms of the car's Coke bottle-shaped body, power dome hood with a slit scoop, non-functional louvers ahead of the rear wheels and Corvette-inspired double-bubble roof treatment is what you will get.

The Nürburgring test is significant because this is the first time Holden, which has lead responsibility for the Zeta platform and therefore the Camaro, has tested at the famed German track. As a result of that learning curve, the best unofficial lap times we've been able to obtain from observers on the scene are around the 9-minute mark — certainly well off the blistering pace set by the Corvette ZR1 at 7:40 and the Nissan GT-R Spec V, which ran an unofficial 7:25. We expect to see the Camaro's lap time closer to the magical 8-minute mark by the time the car is ready for production.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro (illustration)

The Nürburgring tests also revealed some other Camaro nuggets, such as the use of 4-piston Brembo brakes and 20-in. wheels shod with Pirelli P245/45ZR-20 tires on the SS version. Non-SS models, which will be powered by V-6s, appear to have 18-in. wheels and higher-profile tires. Both of these wheel and tire combinations, along with suspension settings, were being tested during the session in Germany.

An insider who's driven the car says the performance of the new Camaro "will take 35 years off your life."

Spy photos also revealed that the interior will be very close to the concept car that made its debut at the 2006 North American International Auto Show. The round speedometer and tach are contained in two rectangular chrome-edged bezels behind a 3-spoke steering wheel. The center stack containing the sound system and climate controls is a rounded, organic design, while below are four retro-inspired auxiliary gauges also surrounded by rectangular bezels. While the original cluster included the fuel and coolant temperature gauges, those critical readouts have been relocated to the main instrument cluster. Now, the four console-mounted gauges are for oil temperature, oil pressure, voltage and a new readout showing engine torque output.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Slated to bow in the first quarter of 2009 as an early 2010 model, it's expected that the Camaro will be offered in three trim levels — LS, LT and SS. The base LS may be powered by Chevy's 3.5-liter pushrod V-6 making about 220 bhp. The LT models would use the overhead-cam direct-injected 3.6-liter V-6 developing upward of 300 bhp, while the SS will be powered by a 6.2-liter LS3 V-8 (similar to that found in the Corvette) tuned to produce around 400–405 bhp. A year after launch, Chevy will introduce a convertible version and after that a high-performance Z28 model with a super-charged 6.2-liter sibling to the Corvette ZR1's LS9 motor known as the LSA. That engine would make somewhere in the neighborhood of 480–500 bhp and is similar to the engine used in the upcoming Cadillac CTS-V.

In light of increasing gas prices, a crash program has been initiated to study the feasibility of offering the 260-bhp turbocharged 2.0-liter four (used in the HHR SS and Cobalt SS) as a possible base engine to replace the 3.5-liter V-6. However, that engine may not be offered until the 2011–2012 model year.

The Camaro will offer a choice of 6-speed automatic or manual transmissions. While both have beefy gearchange levers with baseball-size shift knobs, in the automatic-equipped car we didn't see any provision for a sequential-shift mode on either the shift gate or on the steering wheel or column.

Slated to go up against the Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang, the Camaro offers a fully independent suspension (like the Dodge) compared with the Ford's live rear axle. Despite the added cost of the independent rear, Chevy is looking to keep base prices in the $20,000–$30,000 bracket, while the SS model could be in the mid- to upper- $30,000 range.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro
gsxrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 08, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to AlexFolino
Re: The new Camaros are Coming!!!!!!

ill take 2!

25 years old. I only drive chevys. Everything else and i do mean everything can rust in piece.

68 owner-The only way to go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Camaro: A small vicious animal that eats mustangs.
AlexFolino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 08, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

serving Eastern Great Lakes area.

Bow_Tied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 08, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

As in that first pic, I think you have to admit, they did get one thing right. This car is going to be as unmistakable as a 69 when they are coming at you.

That looks bad
JD4020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 08, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I just found the same article and was going to post it.
I want to buy a new motorcycle but if this comes out and I can afford it, the motorcycle will not happen. My third bay will have ANOTHER Camaro in it!

supv26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 08, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to AlexFolino

The only thing i dont care to much for is the tail lights but other than that they hit this one pretty good

25 years old. I only drive chevys. Everything else and i do mean everything can rust in piece.

68 owner-The only way to go

Camaro: A small vicious animal that eats mustangs.
AlexFolino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 08, 04:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Nice shots. I belive the amber lamps are for Export only as they have been in the past.
I like them

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 08, 05:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Did anyone notice the trailer hitch?
Old May 23rd, 08, 05:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

No spoiler on this one, it will probably be reserved for certain models and also as an option.
I hope they have different choices for wheels. The fuel management system that is on the Corvette would be a nice touch on the 6.2 litre motor as well, in light of gas prices.
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 08, 06:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I just noticed from the side the car reminds me a little of the previous MB CLK coupe, which I thought was a sharp design. GM nailed it on this one - wheels pushed out to the corners, short trunk lid, muscular lines, nice tire/fender fit. The grill and tailights look a little high, but that's due to federal crash regulations. The IRS, while adding cost to the car, will make it sell. We muscle car fans may cherish the live rear axle, but the general public thinks it archaic. GM has to make money on this and build a world-class sports coupe at the same time. Sounds like they didn't cut corners on the interior either, vis a vis the Challenger.
dfahy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 08, 05:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Hey, that new Cam is just starting to grow on me.

Watched that movie "The Transformers" last night...I think that it will really help in the selling of the idea of the Camaro... it looked pretty cool on the screen.

Wonder how much GM paid to have that car in that show?

Thanks for the pics on this thread, Ken.

capt
captcanuck68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 08, 05:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Your welcome for the post

I have my money sitting for 2 when orderable. I just can't believe we are going to have to wait 2 more years for the 600+ hp Z... Ford is already trying to combat the new Camaro with there 2010 model. It's going to be an interesting year with gas prices where they are and the economy where it currently is at.. i hope all have noticed these vehicles will not be able to run E85. Also for a History note this is the first rear wheel drive car produced by GM for quite soom time!!!!

Have a great weekend all be safe and take a moment to thank those who made the ultimate sacrifice for us!!!!!!
Old May 23rd, 08, 08:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Was That An Ss On The Grill!!!!

67CAMAROSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 10th, 08, 07:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Tech

That first picture is a different car than the last few. The first has no SS and no stripes and the tires and wheels are different. The same plate number is on all the pics though?

67 L78
67 Vert

blackl78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 10th, 08, 08:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Everytime I see the 2010 Camaro it makes me want to go and hug my 69. Maybe someday it will grow on me. After all, its not all about show.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
Microgiant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in