Paint doesnt match - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010Ėpresent

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jan 18th, 11, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Paint doesnt match

Hey, I just purchased a 2011 Camaro and I noticed that the front bumper and the rest of the body do not match perfectly. Is it possible that the bumper is different because its a different material than the rest of the car. It's mettallic Blue and the bumper is slightly lighter and really noticable in the sunlight. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
Frank
fmusto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 18th, 11, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage
Re: Paint doesnt match

Sounds more like a dealer re-paint on the bumper... There are a lot of angles and curves on the nose of your car so make sure it's not just the way light is being reflected before you head back into the dealer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 18th, 11, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thats what I thought. The car was delayed for pickup and they could not give me a reason, so now Im thinking there was some problem. Thanks
fmusto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 19th, 11, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmusto View Post
Hey, I just purchased a 2011 Camaro and I noticed that the front bumper and the rest of the body do not match perfectly. Is it possible that the bumper is different because its a different material than the rest of the car. It's mettallic Blue and the bumper is slightly lighter and really noticable in the sunlight. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
Frank
I took delivery on my 2010 in July '09.
All the Camaros are the same, just some more noticable than others depending on the body color or if you have metalic paint. It is extremely doubtful that your bumper was repainted after it left the factory.
The front and rear facia, also the gas cover come from an outside vendor. They are delivered to the factory pre-painted, so most do not match exactly to the body paint which is sprayed at the factory. I have Red Jewel Tint and the gas cover is really noticeable (more metalic flecks than the body), not so much on the facia's. Your problem is normal and quite common.

"The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire"
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 19th, 11, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

You'd think after making cars for over a hundred years, GM could figure out how to make paint match from one panel to another.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 19th, 11, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

I've seen many 5th gens in various colors and the front plastic is so close it doesn't stand out as a mis-match. There are a few complaints on the 5th gen web site about mis-match but not enough to say "that's just the way it is".

Light hitting panels at different angles can make the same color look different and metalic's can amplify the effect so look things over in different light conditions and be sure of what you are seeing...

Steve that fuel door or cover is located on a curved area of the quarter panel and the door or cover is not likely to be curved exactly like the panel. That is where the visual mis-match comes in the most.

I believe manufactures have this paint thing down fairly well and when there is a mis-match that really stands out it was either a factory QA issue or the dealer got the car damaged and repaired the damage.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 20th, 11, 05:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I've seen many 5th gens in various colors and the front plastic is so close it doesn't stand out as a mis-match. There are a few complaints on the 5th gen web site about mis-match but not enough to say "that's just the way it is".

Light hitting panels at different angles can make the same color look different and metalic's can amplify the effect so look things over in different light conditions and be sure of what you are seeing...

Steve that fuel door or cover is located on a curved area of the quarter panel and the door or cover is not likely to be curved exactly like the panel. That is where the visual mis-match comes in the most.

I believe manufactures have this paint thing down fairly well and when there is a mis-match that really stands out it was either a factory QA issue or the dealer got the car damaged and repaired the damage.
I agree and understand what your saying Dennis, the way the car is shaped makes the doors and other areas look darker or lighter, depending on the angle and lighting. I just wanted to point out for Frank that both facia's and the gas door are pre-painted and shipped to the factory from an outside vendor which may cause the difference that he's noticing in his paint. I think most people assume that the whole car is painted at the same time at the factory, just pointing out that some pieces are not.

"The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire"
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 31st, 11, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...light=mismatch

is official information on the "mismatch."

Hope this helps.
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 1st, 11, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Excellent... look at some other cars... ever notice ALL Camaros look like color is off, from doors back because of the "flare out" at the rear fender?
Old Feb 4th, 11, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

plastic bumpers never match 100% thats just the way it is i painted my 96 myself all at the same time and the bumper covers are off color

67CAMAROSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 5th, 11, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

go to dealer and look at others like yours

actually its common, different materials, textures, ect...plastic bumpers and metal fenders can appear mismatched. white is one of the worst offenders. I have seen it, I am a service manager and see all the weird stuff all day, every day, last decade+ ! I have seen mismatched paint all
the time right off the transport trucks. I had a customer fight me on it last year, we ended up vending out the repaint on front bumper and it
was more obvious than what we started with when it was all over. I warned the lady this was possible but she wanted "new paint under warranty". I have on 1 occasion seen a transport truck deliver a new vehicle with a rear bumper replacement and repaint. I believe the trucking co. damaged that one and had an earl scheib quickie done. it was most obvious, have a professional or dealer check yours. It may very well be correct.
Z27LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 6th, 11, 05:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tech Team

I was at my dealer a few months after I took delivery of mine and they had another IOM in their shop...it was brutal, I would have never accepted that car.
After all the early controversy about the paint mismatch, it was one of the first things I looked for on my pre delivery inspection, my car was an RP6 car and I took delivery June of 09....so it's been an issue since the beginning, you'd think they'd have got it straight by now.

Sebjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in