2012 ZL1 Small Block Camaro's-Investment Future Collector Camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010Ėpresent

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 18th, 11, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

2012 ZL1 Small Block Camaro's-Investment Future Collector Camaro?

My friend Brian bought 1 of these cars and is bragging to me how great a investment these new cars are,saying that their gonna be worth hundreds of thousands some day.He mentions GM sold the first one at Barret Jackson for $250K and he paid 60K.Could GM have done a little of Self Promotion At BJ and someone connected to GM bid that car up to 250K? Brian says his new 2012 ZL1 Small Block goes Super Duper fast around turns way faster then the old ones.He bought his from Royal Chevrolet on RT22 in Bound Brook said they had 2.
1968Motion427SSNova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 18th, 11, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: 2012 ZL1 Small Block Camaro's-Investment Future Collector Camaro?

The key, imo, is will the young generation today be as interested in nostalgia like today's 50 year old car enthusiast? For the kind of investment your friend is hoping for he will have to sit on the car for 30 years and hope that young people of today will desire these cars like the young people of the 1960's desire the muscle cars of yesterday today.

Something very telling to me is the fact that cars of the 1980's aren't worth much at all. True they weren't powerhouses and the styling was pretty bland but their value is pitiful indicating that generation isn't very nostalgic.

Imo there are better investment opportunities with less risk. But at least he will have a cool car!

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
Eleanor's Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 18th, 11, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Dan that $250k auction car was for charity and will have no bearing on the future value of a ZL1 or any other Camaro. Have you seen your friends $60k ZL1 in person? The last I heard they are not available until spring 2012. If you read some of the 5th gen forum here you'll get a good idea about the cars ability to perform. Here's an example; https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200564

As for future value only the future can tell that tale, there were only 69 original ZL1s back in 1969. If they had made 2000 of them back then that would greatly impact the value today. As well 30 - 40 years is a very long time to wait for a return on an investment. The potential is there but Chevy also has a COPO prototype and I feel if they go to market with it along with the ZL1 they will sell as many as they can and that could flood the future market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 18th, 11, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I would agree with that.

That car at BJ was likely a charity car or one of if not the first production car off the assembly line. I can think of several newer cars that were thought to have futer collector status that tanked in value. Your buddy will have to shrink wrap the car and not drive it for 30+ years and pray todays generation will be seeking them out...

thats a big and very expensive gamble!
Old Dec 18th, 11, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Smile Re: 2012 ZL1 Small Block Camaro's-Investment Future Collector Camaro?

So hes 52 and 30 years from now he will be 82,wow!! No I haven't seen the car and really don't want to.He just is bragging way to much to me about it and I could care less.I lke the old smelly noisey Carburated 396/427 cars from original Musclecar era. I'm 54 and lived it .I just don't get excited about those new fangle cars.
Old Dec 18th, 11, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

If he already has his car I think he mistakenly bought a SLP ZL1 and not the new Chevrolet ZL1 that is due out in spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

clill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 18th, 11, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Whats a SLP Camaro?
Old Dec 18th, 11, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968Motion427SSNova View Post
Whats a SLP Camaro?
http://slpcars.com/

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 19th, 11, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11

As stated above, it has to be an SPL ZL1 he bought. No Chevrolet version until spring. The SPL version has much more HP than the coming GM version, but I'm not sure it will be a great investment. I've seen some older SPL cars at auction and not do great numbers. Not sure the SLP 5th gen version would be any better of an investment. Although, SLP is only making 69 hardtops and 69 convertibles so who knows?

BTW: SPL is located in Toms River, NJ so it would make sense that a NJ dealer might have a few on their lot.

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

PROZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 19th, 11, 08:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Maybe SLP and the others will be the Yenkos and Bergers of the future. Again only time will tell...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 20th, 11, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

IMO its a lot different than when we were growing up , I don't see a lot of young people driving the new era muscle cars ,I think for one a 18 to 25 30 yr old can't afford 38,000.00 aprox. for a car, and if so there into Audi's ,BMW's etc.
I don't think our Hot rods ,Muscle cars appeal to them ,a small amount of young folks maybe ,but not like when we were growing up ,it was in our culture.
I grew up in South Seattle along the Renton loop to Seward Park run was about 10 miles or so round trip ,and friday /saturday nites we would go up sit on the sidewalk and watch the show, non stop Hotrods ,Muscle cars. The Seward park loop was bumper to bumper, when the lower loop was open to drive around time line was til 1970...
Fast Foward to today nothing ,the Culture is fading ,as we fade ,our cars may end up in new homes but I think more the scrap yard when we all fade away to the Big cruse in the sky.. So Happy Motoring and Merry Christmas 2011

68Lemans blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 20th, 11, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I put a deposit down on one, and havent yet heard about options. It isnt listed in the dealer order form for a new vehicle, so I doubt very seriously he has it in his possession.
Old Dec 20th, 11, 11:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

My wife's Toyota Solara red convertible might just morph into a red ZL1 convertible. Shhh, she doesn't know.
OK mayby just a little.
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Fred Ficarra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in