Fifth Generation Z28 - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 26th, 11, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Fifth Generation Z28

After the announcement of the ZL1, seems like all has been quiet on the Z28 front. Anyone have any credible info on the possibility of a new Z28?

Hopefully they bring back Dusk Blue with blue interior
Dusk_Blue_Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 11th, 12, 04:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Fifth Generation Z28

Nothing formally confirmed on the Z28.
...I think with all the hype with the Zl1, it has taken front stage, ...as it should, it's an amazing car. None-the-less, ...it's hard to imagine they wouldn't bring the Z28 back................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 11th, 12, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I say give them about 2 years or when they do the next model update. If the Boss Mustang takes off then I think the will bring back the Z, probably with a smally LS motor to let it wind up. Just a guess though. I like the ZL1 but Chevy better do something as the 2013 GT500 is going to have 650 hp from the factory...hard to beat that if if they ever get it to hook up.
69Project is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 12, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I bet they do a ZL1 lite, similar to the Boss Mustang, take the suspension from the ZL1 and have a slightly modified motor from the SS.

BigBlock1969RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 12, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

With the prototype "COPO" in the wings I don't see a Z28 in the near future. With the 4th gen cars the Z28 was the base model V8 and if that frame of mind holds true a 5th gen Z is likely to be something between the 6 banger and the SS, I don't see it being the car it is in the vintage side of things!

As for the dusk blue, if you read what Settlemire wrote it won't be back unless it becomes a desirable color on other models at the same assembly plant and at that one existing color has to go away to make room for adding a new color.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 13th, 12, 04:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Isn't the COPO concept a race only car like Ford Motorsports sells with their Mustangs? I saw a video of it from the SEMA show, but I thought it was going to be a race only deal. I think Dodge does the same with their Challenger as well. I think Ford sells about 50 of their cars a year and its set up for a couple of different engines to include their big block and windsor motors. I know you can get a Camaro body in white for about 7k but it's just a roller with no VIN and is meant for the track. I think the COPO is a "complete" car meant for the Super Stock class. It would be neat to see it as a street car, but do you need both the ZL1 and a COPO?

I think there is a chance for a new Z, if GM decides to come out with the street version of the 5.5 liter they are sticking in the racing Corvettes. Anyways, that the popular rumor I keep reading about. A no frills Camaro might something worth doing for GM, they just have reduce the weight of the car.
69Project is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 13th, 12, 06:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

They need to do something just for the sake of spicing it up. The ZL1 just got a 650hp 200mph bomb dropped on it by Ford.
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 11th, 12, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Chevrolet is asking for people's opinions on the 1LE, or they introduced the idea and people have started their own threads about if and how they should build it. It might not be a Z, but the 1LE package may make a return.
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 22nd, 12, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I know this statement might get me banned from the site, but the new Boss 302 is one bad mother. Its turning low 13's in stock trim, can shift around 7800, and sounds mean. I'm not as convinced as others that it looks wonderful, but its easy to overlook its styling for the massive amount of performance per $$.

If only Chevrolet had an answer.....
Old Feb 27th, 12, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

...faster than the 2011 GT-R and 2011 Z06 posted times. I am not sure if the Boss 302 times have been posted yet...?

Overall, the ZL1 has a lot to offer and most of what is optional on the 302, comes standard on the ZL1 for less $$ than the Boss 302. I think the Boss 302 has a look to be reckoned with too, ...but as an overall car, I'm liking how the ZL1 performs

KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 27th, 12, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I think you have that backwards. The base Boss is $41k and the base ZL1 is $54k.

The ZL1 should smoke the Boss on a track, given its producing 150+ more hp at roughly the same weight.
Old Feb 27th, 12, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk_Blue_Z View Post
I think you have that backwards. The base Boss is $41k and the base ZL1 is $54k.

The ZL1 should smoke the Boss on a track, given its producing 150+ more hp at roughly the same weight.
Going to the Laguna Seca takes that price closer to the ZL1 at 48 or 49K I think. But then you get back set delete and some more goodies suspension wise. I don't think there are any options on the Laguna Seca.

Before I moved to Tucson I had chance to drive Boss a fellow emplyee had bought. All I can say is the darn thing is just flat amazing....then put in the track key and get the 302R tune and it really wakes up. He removed the silenicer disc from the side exit exhaust and WOW!!! His was base witht eh recaro option in orange. GM needs to come up with something in the same price range to compete. The ZL1 is getting the gas guzzler tax added on it also....something to think about when it comes to compairing it to the Boss. I think the ZL1 will stop the Boss, as it should but it sure would be fun to see a more entry level car in the Boss arena and compete with it in all areas. They both smoke the Challenger
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Joe Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 27th, 12, 07:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk_Blue_Z View Post
I know this statement might get me banned from the site, but the new Boss 302 is one bad mother. Its turning low 13's in stock trim, can shift around 7800, and sounds mean. I'm not as convinced as others that it looks wonderful, but its easy to overlook its styling for the massive amount of performance per $$.

If only Chevrolet had an answer.....

I think that's a mistype....they're actually seeing low 12's stock and mid 11's with slicks right off the lot.
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in