Burning Question on Throttle Response - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Oct 11th, 12, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Burning Question on Throttle Response

Ok, so I was drivin' around in my 10 SS (6spd man) earlier and noticed a slight lag on my throttle response. I got to a stop sign and wanted to beat the traffic and get on my way. I floored it in first and as I was rounding the 90 degree to get on the road, the rpms went down slightly and 'hestitated' before picking back up! I usually don't drive her that way, but it felt odd that she had a slight lag getting on it! I come from a previous backround with a third gen, and that thing would spin tires from here until tomorrow! Is there something wrong with my SS, or is it just the traction control/engine control systems on the SS that's giving this slight hesitation? The only thing I can think of is that this is the first time I've had her tank with mid-grade 89 Octane (I usually put in Super Premium) and she might not like it.... Any ideas?
InsaneCamaroDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 11th, 12, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: Burning Question on Throttle Response

JMT's, I would think PCM would take care of lower octane fuel.
If you can, disable Traction Control and repeat WOT again and compare results.

I know it is apples-to-oranges, but, once my '88 Chev truck, OBD I, loses battery power, it relearns with throttle position, idle, and every other engine parameter.
Once I do a couple 'heavy' throttle positions, the lag is gone and engine operates smoother. Maybe repeated WOT's, PCM will relearn?
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 11th, 12, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

I'd say traction control kept the tires from spinning but it also sounds like you bounced off the rev limiter as you punched it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 11th, 12, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll be sure to try without the traction control.... It's a manual, so I'd be pressed to find a rev limiter on it....
Old Oct 11th, 12, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneCamaroDriver View Post
It's a manual, so I'd be pressed to find a rev limiter on it....
I don't understand what you are saying... Your car has a rev limiter (stick or automatic), rev it up to the rev limit and the engine cuts out for a sec to allow the rpm to drop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Oct 11th, 12, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry, I don't know why I was confusing the rev limiter for a torque converter. I'm an idiot there... Anyhow, I find it odd that it would cut out so early, it's not reaching high at all. In a straight line it doesn't cut out on me like that. That's why it's a bit confusing to me.
Old Oct 11th, 12, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know why I was confusing the rev limiter for a torque converter. I'm an idiot there... Anyhow, I find it odd that it would cut out so early, it's not reaching high at all. In a straight line it doesn't cut out on me like that. That's why it's a bit confusing to me.
If you know for sure the rpm wasn't up at the red line then I'd say it wasn't the rev limiter... You said you floored it around the corner. Being in 1st means it's going to rev up rather fast and since you compared it to your old 3rd gen spinning the tires I just assumed you had the rpms up if you thought the tires should have spun... Traction control at that point is the only reason your tires were not spinning.

Anyway it could have even been your rear end since you were cornering, the posi is wanting both tires to turn at the same rate when power is applied but is going to start doing it's limited slip thing to allow one tire to spin slower than the other. Combine that with the traction control trying to keep the tires from breaking loose and maybe the result felt like the engine hesitated.

Old Oct 12th, 12, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Wink Re: Burning Question on Throttle Response

May be the ECM reaction to the fuel used

Common for the ECM to go to 'lower' the timing map if it detects issues due to Octane rating ...

Been discussed on here (and most likely 1,000s of times on 5th Gen boards) before - https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ghlight=Octane

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Vintage 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 12th, 12, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Ok, so I was drivin' around in my 10 SS (6spd man) earlier and noticed a slight lag on my throttle response. I got to a stop sign and wanted to beat the traffic and get on my way. I floored it in first and as I was rounding the 90 degree to get on the road, the rpms went down slightly and 'hestitated' before picking back up! I usually don't drive her that way, but it felt odd that she had a slight lag getting on it! I come from a previous backround with a third gen, and that thing would spin tires from here until tomorrow! Is there something wrong with my SS, or is it just the traction control/engine control systems on the SS that's giving this slight hesitation? The only thing I can think of is that this is the first time I've had her tank with mid-grade 89 Octane (I usually put in Super Premium) and she might not like it.... Any ideas?
I don't have a 5th gen Camaro but I know they have an electronic throttle so it doesn't matter how hard you mash the pedal, the controller is only going to give it the maximum throttle the program will allow.

I had a BMW with electronic throttle, it took a while to get used too. It would reduce throttle based on traction, gear, steering angle. It also had a throttle response switch that had 2 settings, Sport (twitchy) and Komfort (slugish).

Your Camaro is programmed to prevent loss of control and i bet it is reducing throttle response due to steering angle, among other factors.

Here is what can happen if it doesn't

http://www.youtube.com/embed/a0Ve2eNfgPQ

Last edited by 68 Ragtop; Oct 12th, 12 at 10:01 AM.
68 Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 13th, 12, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

There is a slight delay on the throttle to smooth the input, but it is milliseconds. What you more likely hit (if it wasn't traction control or stability control) is gm's torque management that limits the torque in any given gear. You can tune it out but it will void your warranty.
2006 Corvette Z06
2011 Corvette GS Convertible
68sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in