Locked out...keys in trunk - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010Ėpresent

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Mar 9th, 14, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Locked out...keys in trunk

My wife has a 5th Gen convertible rental and locked the keys in the trunk. She got the car unlocked, but the trunk release won't work and the alarm goes off every time you open the door. Enterprise doesn't keep spare keys and calling GM got two suggestions that require a key. Any ideas?
bkm4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 14, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Admin/Super Moderator

Garage
Re: Locked out...keys in trunk

Call a locksmith to pick the trunk lock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
69-Pace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 14, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. There is a trunk lock in the car behind the rear seat. Just hated to pay a second person to solve this issue.
bkm4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 14, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Admin/Super Moderator

Garage

Can you remove the rear seat and gain access to the trunk?

Old Mar 9th, 14, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Use the Onstar. It's the blue button on the rear view mirror.

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/se...lore?tab=3&g=1
68 Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 14, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Admin/Super Moderator

Garage

That may work but in most cases it won't for a rental fleet. They would be routed to Enterprise who already said you are on your own.

Old Mar 9th, 14, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Car belongs to Enterprise, you are disabled in their car! I don't see how they can ignore you. Even though you locked the keys in the trunk, the car is unlocked and the trunk release is failing. That's an Enterprise problem the way I see it!

I don't know who you spoke with at Enterprise but I'd start asking for higher ups until you get someone to take ownership of the problem!

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 14, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Did you get roadside assistance with the rental car insurance? If so that will cover locksmith.
lcmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 14, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Doubt the trunk release has failed.....Probably like my Durango...even if you unlock the door with the actual key it will not disable the security system unless you can put the key in the ignition and turn it or hit the keyfob unlock button. Sounds like the OP does not have access to the actual keys at all in order to do this and the car was unlocked by a locksmith, and the trunk unlock is disabled by security. Also the convertibles will not let the trunk open without the top all the way down or if it is unlatched/unlocked but not all the way down. Additionally manual tranny cars have to have the parking brake set.

Since rental cars travel all over the county and are eventually wholesaled (in which case they want both keys to go with the car), the best thing some rental car companies can come up with to keep up with both sets of keys/fobs is to lock them together and give them to the renter along with a note that there's a $250 charge for lost keys. This way they will never have to pay if one or both of the keys are lost. I used to rent cars year round with my old job and the first thing I always did was cut the keys apart.
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Mar 9th, 14 at 01:29 PM.
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 14, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Admin/Super Moderator

Garage

Yeah I suspect this is also the case or the vehicle was rented some other location and the spare set of keys is in their inventory. You could tell Enterprise to come get the car.

Old Mar 9th, 14, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Car belongs to Enterprise, you are disabled in their car! I don't see how they can ignore you. Even though you locked the keys in the trunk, the car is unlocked and the trunk release is failing. That's an Enterprise problem the way I see it!

I don't know who you spoke with at Enterprise but I'd start asking for higher ups until you get someone to take ownership of the problem!
Dennis,

You would logically think this would be the case but when you leave the lot it's 'your' car. I rent cars a couple of times a month for work and if you ever look at the paperwork your signing it covers all these incidents. The keys that are in the trunk have both sets of keys on them, they probably do this on purpose so they don't have a 2nd set.

If you tell them to come get it, your credit card will show it for sure.

Also, for the OnStar - it's probably deleted. Most fleet and rental cars don't have OnStar. My GE Fleet 2012 Impala has no OnStar, 'delete' right on the window sticker.
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Liíl Red Express
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 14, 05:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Garth I too use to rent cars quite a bit and the one time I was stranded (dead battery) they sent someone out to my location with another car. My bill was not impacted at all, in fact I was given a free upgrade. I know times have changed...

I think my credit card company would stand behind me if I told them I rented a car that didn't work if I was billed for the car after telling the rental company their car doesn't run.

Amazing what companys that care about customer service will do but sometimes you have to talk to the right person for that to happen.

On another note, does the car have a fold down rear seat? That might be a simple solution if it does and has been overlooked...

Old Mar 9th, 14, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Garth I too use to rent cars quite a bit and the one time I was stranded (dead battery) they sent someone out to my location with another car. My bill was not impacted at all, in fact I was given a free upgrade. I know times have changed...

I think my credit card company would stand behind me if I told them I rented a car that didn't work if I was billed for the car after telling the rental company their car doesn't run.

Amazing what companys that care about customer service will do but sometimes you have to talk to the right person for that to happen.

On another note, does the car have a fold down rear seat? That might be a simple solution if it does and has been overlooked...
There's a fairly substantial difference between a dead battery and operator error making the keys inaccessible. If the OP's wife had dropped the keys through a sewer grate, do any of us think the rental company should make it all better?

In my opinion, there's no difference between my hypothetical and what happened here.

Mkelcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 14, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

The car is not locked, the remote trunk button doesn't work Mike! Sounds like a mechanical issue unless there is a valet parking feature that was activated for some reason.

Old Mar 9th, 14, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Here is where I'm confused. He said she got the car unlocked. How? If a locksmith unlocked the car why didn't he unlock the trunk and get the keys?
lcmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in