Rear Tires - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010Ėpresent

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Apr 15th, 14, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rear Tires

Need help want to put a bigger tire on rear but they say I cant as it will mess up the abs and tcs Want to go from a 275 40 20 to a275 50 20 to fill up the rear wheel well is there a tuner that I can do this or just get rid of the abs and tcs. need to know soon cant stand those short side wall tires. thank you mark.
razz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 15th, 14, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Re: Rear Tires

I'm not going to answer that question, just simply say that tire is about 2" taller than your current tire. Taller tires are like having taller gears (lower numerical gear) so your performance off the line will be effected. If it were me and it were purely aesthetic, I'd look at lowering the car 1" to reduce the gap rather than running a taller tire. Unless you need to run a taller tire for gearing purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67Rally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 16th, 14, 05:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11

Actually I think that 275 50 would be about an inch taller which could cause an issue. By bigger, do you want to go taller or wider? Or both? Wider tires will not effect the ABS as long they are the same height as the fronts, or at least within an acceptable limit. Taller can and or will cause problems if they are off by too much. Depending on what size rim you are running on the rear you can run a 305/35-20. That will be wider but be close to the same height as the front 245/40-20s. A 285/30-20 will work fine on the stock rear 9" wheels (front wheels are 8"). The 305 is about as wide as you can go on the rears although some people have gone wider.
I'm running 10" rear wheels and 9" fronts with the stock size tires and filled the wheel wells a little better. I also lowered mine an inch. I'm going to go with wider tires all the way around when it's time for new ones. I agree with 67Rally, lowering makes a big difference. The tires fill the wells better with the shorter gap. Changes the whole look of the car. Its an easy and pretty inexpensive process. I did all 4 springs in about 2 hours.

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

PROZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 16th, 14, 05:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Yep, this goes way back. My parents have a '93 Cadillac (The USS Fleetwood, Enterprise class) and called me a while back because the cruise control kept kicking off and forcing the pedal back. The dealership just told them those old Cadillacs have a mind of their own and unhooked the cruise and traction control system. I asked if they had put new tires on it and sure enough they had put two rears on it, but the place didn't have the same size as the front. Told dad to hook everything back up, reach in the glovebox and turn the traction control off (they didn't even know it was in there), and try out the cruise. Worked perfect. They swapped the rears to the front and the problem went away completely.
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 16th, 14, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just wanted to put a taller tire on the rear to make it look a little better guess I will give up. Mark
razz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 16th, 14, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROZ11 View Post
Actually I think that 275 50 would be about an inch taller which could cause an issue.
I just did the math and came up with a 2.2" difference, unless I'm missing something here.

67Rally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 17th, 14, 04:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
I just did the math and came up with a 2.2" difference, unless I'm missing something here.
Ooops, you're correct. My mistake. I used an online tire caculator and the side wall height was an extra inch which would put the overall height at 2 inches taller. That will definitely cause an issue with the ABS and Satbility Control.

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

PROZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 2nd, 15, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

So I have ran Into this problem myself, just wondering if there is a way via tuning to fix the ABS/ traction control system when this issue occurs, I'm currently running a shorter tire in the rear than I am in the front. New to the camaro forums so any help towards leading me to another thread that may help me with this issue is appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
wcole1659 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in