New Camaro as much fun as First Gens. - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 28th, 14, 06:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

New Camaro as much fun as First Gens.

I am in the middle of a late life crisis. I am thinking of selling my 68 and buying a newer 5th Gen Camaro. I was wondering if you guys have who have both could comment on how they feel about the two. I have been in the hobby for over 40 years and to tell you the truth it is getting a little boring. I have spent countless hours at shows and cruises. I have seen pretty well every Camaro from plain jane to ZL1.
Is the new Camaro a fun car to drive?
I would love to hear from owners with their take on the new Camaro, and any drawbacks they have experienced.
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 14, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re: New Camaro as much fun as First Gens.

Recently rented an economy car from Avis. They were out of them so they stuck us in a fully Camaro SS.

It was a lot more fun then I thought it would be.

Hit up your local Chevy dealer and drive one.
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Vega$69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 14, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

I've rented both a 6 cyl and SS V8 5th gen (about a week each) and driven a ZL1 ragtop 5th gen and they are a lot of fun. It's different though, just like when I had my '96 Z28SS they are all very cool fun daily drivers that I only slightly cringed a little more than I do in my truck when parking in a parking lot for fear of door dings.

I know there are some guys that will shell out money for a "new" cool weekend driver but I'd rather have old toys in the garage to play with... My truck would get kicked to the curb and only be driven when I needed the truck if I had a new Camaro as it would become the daily driver...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 14, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Why not sell it and get into a different classic? Go completely away from Chevy. Maybe something German or English? Heck you can sell your Camaro, get a nice British roadster and have plenty of money left over for a proper cap and pipe to go with it (not to mention enough for a vintage motorcyle as well...).

Just a thought.
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
Gbauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 14, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Keep your 68 and take up golf if you are bored.
69&76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 14, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Golf: A beautiful walk spoiled by a little white ball...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
PowerWindows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 14, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
Go completely away from Chevy. Maybe something German or English?

Just a thought.
Blasphemy!

English?

350sshugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 14, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
Blasphemy!

English?

Worse yet they're made out of WOOD!

Drivers are required to wear a top hat and monocle...
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
Gbauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 14, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I've had a 69 SS396, Z/28, PJ w/350 and a 70 PJ 307. Love the classics! I am just between 69's right now... long story, I needed a new daily drive so I ordered an 11 at the end of 10. Being a daily driver I went with the 6, settled for the 315hp, and an auto w/paddle shifters. It is a LT2, RS, it's a lot of fun to drive, gets 22MPG plus even with my lead foot! It's a great daily driver, it's just doesn't have the class of a 69. There isn't much that will leave it at the line, 0-60 and beyond is impressive, yeah it's just a 6!. Again, its fun, looks cool, is very comfortable, but nothing is as classy as a 69! There will be another 69 in my garage one day! As a daily drive go for it, but don't give up the 68, you'll only regret it, trust me, been there, done that!
kilroy396 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 14, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

I don't blame you for being tired after 40 years of cruises and car shows. Cruises and car shows are a little more exciting than watching grass grow, but not much.

The first generation Camaros, as they came from the factory, were pretty crude vehicles by today's standards.

If you wanted performance, you had to put up with the engine screaming at 2,700 to 3,700 rpm at freeway speeds, and got pretty poor to really poor fuel economy. The handling wasn't terribly good, the seats were awful, the brakes were - if you had disks - barely adequate, your "choices" of entertainment were AM/FM radio, the sound insulation was so-so, they leak, they require frequent maintenance, you have only two speeds for the wipers, the headlights aren't terribly effective, etc. - in short they were designed, built and sold over 45 years ago, and it shows.

All of that said, if you're willing to rebuild the car to a certain extent, a first generation Camaro can be a fun, comfortable, high performance, fuel efficient and reliable car.

A modest pro-touring style build - update the wheels and tires to modern sizes, improve the front and rear suspensions, including camber correction and good shocks, replace the front and rear brakes with modern disks, drop in a computerized LS motor, an LS accessory package and your choice of automatic or manual overdrive transmission, update the fuel system for the EFI motor, replace the front seats with something that actually supports you as you go around a turn, cut up the dash for a single DIN radio or (with a big loss of usefulness) use one of the hidden solutions, and DRIVE that baby.

For me, my '68 is my go to car for longer trips when I'm not hauling something. I've had it on the road for a little under 3 months and have a little under 3,000 miles on it, including round trips of a total of 450 miles, 300 miles (3 times), and 200 miles (3 times).

It brakes well, accelerates incredibly hard, handles well, is comfortable, has great seats, has AM/FM, GPS, Sirius radio, plays tunes from an IPod or (my favorite) a USB flash drive, is pretty quiet, gets 23+ mpg on the highway and draws friendly attention wherever I go. I'm still sorting out a few issues, and will address some issues over the winter, but it's pretty much a modern car dressed up like a '68 Camaro.

I built my '68. If I had it to over again, I'd look for a well built car that had most or all of what I wanted.

So, maybe your interest in these cars can be sparked by taking a different direction and having the best of the modern car performance dressed up in the classic car skin.

Mkelcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 14, 11:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69&76 View Post
Keep your 68 and take up golf if you are bored.
I play golf about 40 times a year. That is my other vice.
Old Jul 28th, 14, 12:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I probably should have bought my buddies 2010. He had a really nice v6 in the orange with cyber grey stripes. It does not seem too appetizing but it was a stunning color combo. He had the matching interior and to top it off, it was a pre production test vehicle and it did not have a production serial number. He worked for GM and bought it through the company. 6 speed manual and it had the 20" chromes on it. It came without a spoiler and he added an aftermarket tall spoiler. He also owns a graphics company and made a complete set of 69 style full stripes for it. They looked killer, rather than the abbreviated ones you can only see on the top of the hood and trunk lid. (my only complaint).
One of my other problems is space. I really only have room for one "garage" car. I would not drive the New Camaro in the Canadian Winter so I would have to store it somewhere.
I have thought of owning both.
Old Jul 28th, 14, 12:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
Worse yet they're made out of WOOD!

Drivers are required to wear a top hat and monocle...
My parents came from Great Britain to Canada with me as an infant. I grew up with Prefects, Morris Oxfords, and Austin 1100s.
I helped maintain most of them. I had a good buddy who had an MGB who gave it to me while his license was suspended for 3 months. I also drove and maintained an MG 1100 sedan which was very rare in North America, and a couple of Mini coopers that a friend owned and raced.
My boss had a Morgan. In pieces but someday.......
So I am very familiar with those cars and all of the issues with them.
It is kind of funny because the original 4 cylinders in these cars had an inherent flaw. They had the staggered valves and the two exhaust valves were side by side. Honda took their design, and put the intake and exhaust valves beside each other and cured the heat issue.
We all know how that turned out. Probably the best 4 cylinder engine on the planet.
Old Jul 28th, 14, 02:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

I rented a base 5th gen convertible in HI on a vacation. It drove like a truck IMO. Didn't like it at all. Hence I bought a 68 vert to restomod pro touring style. Never drove an SS or higher end one but I was not a fan. Looked cool though.
Old Jul 28th, 14, 03:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsutt View Post
I rented a base 5th gen convertible in HI on a vacation. It drove like a truck IMO. Didn't like it at all. Hence I bought a 68 vert to restomod pro touring style. Never drove an SS or higher end one but I was not a fan. Looked cool though.
Must have been damaged or had bad tires or something. The V6 I rented rode and drove smooth and comfortable in a sports car sense and was no where near truck like...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in