2013 ZL1 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010Ėpresent

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 20th, 14, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tech Team

2013 ZL1 Camaro

Need some help with my 2013 ZL1. More than often my car smells like engine coolant near the the front where the carbon fiber hood vents are.
Car runs great, No Leaks, Engine Temp Gauge is in the proper range. Took it to the dealer for service, they replaced two fitting - still smells the same.
Is this normal coming from the hood vents?
My last Camaro was a 2010 2SS/RS and it did not have any hood vents and I do not ever remember smelling engine coolant.
Need to hear from a current ZL1 owner who could share some light on the subject. Thanks
zyaal8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 20th, 14, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2013 ZL1 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyaal8r View Post
Need some help with my 2013 ZL1. More than often my car smells like engine coolant near the the front where the carbon fiber hood vents are.
Car runs great, No Leaks, Engine Temp Gauge is in the proper range. Took it to the dealer for service, they replaced two fitting - still smells the same.
Is this normal coming from the hood vents?
My last Camaro was a 2010 2SS/RS and it did not have any hood vents and I do not ever remember smelling engine coolant.
Need to hear from a current ZL1 owner who could share some light on the subject. Thanks
zyaal8r,

I'm sorry to hear about the coolant smell you're experiencing. I understand how displeasing this would be and realize you're seeking opinions about it. However, if you'd like to consider getting another official GM diagnosis, please message me privately as I can reach out to the dealer's Customer Experience Managers (CEM) for additional assistance. If you'd like to contact us privately, we'd be happy to discuss this with you further.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 20th, 14, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Garage

You sure your not using up coolant and dumping it through the exhaust?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
COPO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 31st, 14, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tech Team

On my first visit the Chevy Dealer said that they had to replace a fitting which was leaking. They then informed me that the threads on the block were stripped and that they had to re thread it with a tap. After losing the car for a couple of days, I picked it up and to my disbelief the problem (smell likes the car is overheating) was still evident.
Second visit (yesterday Dec. 30th) I was told that the leak was coming from the same place of the stripped fitting. Now I'm told that they "Chevy" will have to replace the whole block. Not sure if I am happy to finally have a resolutions to the issue or cry because my car will go through an entire molestation that will ultimately remove its factory installed numbers matching engine.
Old Jan 3rd, 15, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

I cant believe this is still a problem on a 2013 car. This issue first came up in early Jan 2010. The oil cooler fitting that threads into the block sometimes gets cross threaded in production. First solution is to re-tap the block, if that doesn't work, you get a new block courtesy of Chevrolet. Sorry to hear you have to go through that, but this one is on Chevy.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106513
Old Jan 12th, 15, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tech Team

Now I'm told that the Dealer broke a connector in the removal of the motor. Another 2 weeks in the shop as they try to search for the replacement? Not sure why it takes 2 weeks to replace a connector?, because the last time I checked this car is made in North America!
Old Jan 13th, 15, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Damn. That is all i can say, as i have been round and round with the first zl1 i owned. Hate to rain on the parade of an already resounding painful experience, but pay attention if the mileage is at or nearing 15k-30k. The supercharger isolator inside of the body of the supercharger is prone to gouging the shaft, causing a notorious engine tick, that they have commonly dismissed as a dry start issue, or whatever else they can say to get you out of the door. Mine only made it to 3300 miles before they had to replace the supercharger shaft. I am not sure if they ever made TSB Recall on this as of yet, they were talking about doing so. I feel your pain about losing the factory block, shortly after the aforementioned story, at 5300 miles, mine lost #1 piston and crank journal. Replaced crank, 800 miles later it lost #1 journal again, and 200 miles after that i got T-Boned. That car was cursed. Mine was in the shop about as much as i got to drive it. I was extremely displeased with the service i was getting, but liked the car i had so much i bought another one anyhow.
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014
FTF Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 15th, 15, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tech Team

Hard to believe I traded my pristine 2010 2SS/RS. 4 1/2 years and never had any issues with it. Less than 5k miles, car was swallowed up quickly on the Dealer Lot. Wished the ZL1 would have treated me the same. Logic being - if you pay more money, you should have a better car! Maybe I got to greedy.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in