My 2 cents on the new Camaro...gotta say it - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jan 11th, 06, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
My 2 cents on the new Camaro...gotta say it

My thoughts on the new Camaro concept.

I was lucky enough to be one of the 250 to be invited by Scott Settlemire to see the new Camaro concept debut at the Detroit auto show. The whole weekend was a treat and I really want to thank Scott and the folks at Chevrolet for doing what they did. The night before the auto show we had a gathering at the GM Heritage center and most of the team that put the new Camaro together was there. They said they would listen to our comments and wanted to hear them so here I am.
While the new Camaro is neat and I think neater than the 4th gen it replaced, it is not what I was hoping for. I can remember talking with friends years ago about how cool it would be and how many cars Chevy would sell if they made the 69 Camaro again. We knew it was pipe dreaming but it sure was neat to think about. I never expected it to happen. Then comes along the new Mustang and it looks very much like a 67 Mustang. Then there are rumors of a retro Camaro and I'm pumped. Then there is a retro Hemi Challenger and it appears we are back in our youth. This is getting exciting. I will buy a new 69 Camaro. I'll buy 2 ! How many people are out there that would jump at the chance to buy a new 69 Camaro ? How many out there that like the old 69 Camaro's but don't buy one because they can't work on cars and old cars need to be worked on ? Would they buy a 69 Camaro with a warranty ? With the other makes doing the retro theme this is the perfect time and probably our only chance to do a 69 type Camaro. The market is there. There is worry that retro is not long legged enough to pencil out for the bean counters. The 69 Camaro is over 35 years old and the design still looks great. A new version of it can look just as great. I'm 52 years old and I want one. I have met many younger than me that also love the looks of a 69 Camaro. It's like we are invited to a retro party with Ford and Chrysler but have decided not to come. I know the retro T-bird didn't do well but guys like me were about 4 years old when they first came out. The guy that missed out on buying a 57 T-bird back in 57 is now probably close to 70 years old so I wouldn't expect him to buy too many cars of his youth. I missed the chance to buy a Camaro in 69 and would sure like another chance .I don't think there will ever be another chance like right now to capture the audience that is out there waiting You have a chance to capture the youth market and the baby boomers at the same time. Maybe I'm just in the minority and don't know it. GM really does want and need to know what the public will buy so they can decide on what to build. You may or may not agree with me on wanting the new Camaro to look more retro like a 69. Whatever it is you prefer please let Chevrolet know. If you don't voice your opinion don't bitch later on if they didn't do what you wanted.
-Charley
clill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 11th, 06, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to ChevyThunder
Re: My 2 cents on the new Camaro...gotta say it

I agree with you 100%..when I heard the gentleman from GM on the podcast make reference to how the other two of the big three went too far by making thier cars look too much like the old cars I couldn't believe it ! Someone must be putting something in his coolaid...I am not a Ford guy...but I came real close to buying a new Mustang ...I think the new Challenger looks more like a Camaro than..... the Camaro ! This should have been easy for them from a design standpoint. It is a cool car and I do like it....but name it something else and lets get on with building the Camaro everyone wants.
And as far as the T-Bird..some designs stand the test of time longer than others...the 1st gen Camaro, in what ever flavor you like..67 , 68 or 69 stands the test of time...it will always be in style.
Old Jan 11th, 06, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
RSS
Gold Lifetime Member

I finally found a "new camaro" thread that I belong in. I couldn't agree more with the first 2 posts.
The new Camaro comes as a disappointment to me. I honestly expected to see in the Camaro what we saw in the new Mustang and the new Challenger.
To me it resembles a compact Corvette. What were they thinking?

1969 coupe under going restification (Almost Done!)
RSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 11th, 06, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Cool Re: My 2 cents on the new Camaro...gotta say it

I also agree with all three of you guys...thats all i have to say...
Old Jan 12th, 06, 12:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

I posted my two cents worth on the chevy concept camaro forums, I think the car looks like my daughters 2000 mustang! But how do we get our message to GM?
Stockblock67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 06, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Talking Re: My 2 cents on the new Camaro...gotta say it

I bought a 2004 Impala SS with the Indy package, 3.8 V6 motor. I should have waited a year, and missed out on the V8 models. Well the Camaro had better be something very special before I get sucked in on another new car. I am not complaining about my car, but GM seems to not be a mover or shaker like Chrysler with the Hemi in everything. These guys are just in your face with design and the unusual looking cars. That new Challenger has me more interested than the Camaro from what I have seen on these forums. How does GM decide on a design, Dartboard, Voodo, spin the bottle, or one very out of touch CEO? I am thrilled they are talking about doing Camaros again, but get it right so we dont have to go to the DARK SIDE. I also would like my voice heard with GM but how? Oh yeah, if the Camaro comes out to be one hot and bad car, the wife gets the Impala, the Monte Carlo LSX stage III will get canned, and yours truly will have the most heavily optioned car available, just like you wish you could go back in time to do with a 69!
nikkisdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 06, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

My guess would be that if GM builds a new Camaro, it will share a platform with some other style. That might limit the options they have for a more retro look. To do a stand alone project that would sell 200,000 to 300,000 units per year would be cost prohibitive. Having said that, I wish I could buy a new "69" as well. I just don't think I'll have the opportunity.
Toby Keen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 06, 03:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with you guys its a nice car but I wont be getting in line to buy one.IMO GM needs to get a little more retro with the car.Its nice, just not for me.
georgia 69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 06, 04:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Ditto here!! I just think GM is stradling the fence here and trying to appeal to the masses with some retro and some modern, which will in turn only appeal to a few. The new Camaro just didn't catch my eye and still don't. I mean if your going to do it, do it right!!!

The Dodge Challenger was done right, and I'm not at all a Dodge man by any means!! I know the Mustang looks good and Ford did a great job going retro but I believe the Challenger is going to really sell some cars! I think there will be people buying Challengers who would rather have a new REAL Camaro!

GM has a chance to do a 40 year aniversary car and build a modern mirror image of the '69 which would easily pay for itself, even if it was for just one year again! If anyone knows how to contact the people who want to hear our opinions, please let us know???? I don't mean a email to GM that will get the pre-drafted "thanks for you opinion, it's very important to us" BS.
Sid69Z's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 06, 04:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
SRC

I also agree with you guys, build a modern 69!
The current concept car looks like a cross between a mustang, chrysler, caddy something. I will not buy one.

GM, you have a great chance here, don't blow it.
Do it right or not at all.
SRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 06, 04:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I also heard him say in his podcast that GM needs to Sell between 125K and 150K cars to make the numbers work. If they would design it more like the 69 body style, I see no reason the couldnt sell more, They did sell 243K 36 years ago.
I know there are more car manufactures and body styles but now,but if the car (new Camaro) would have had that "WOW" factor like the Mustang and the Challenger did I bet the acception would be better. I am with most that have posted already, Im not to excited about the concept car.
My thoughts are there are too many people in GM that like to drive Cadillacs and I think thats were there mind sets are...
Old Jan 12th, 06, 05:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

I like the way the car looks even if it's not as retro as we would all like. But I like the Mustang and Challenger as well so maybe I don't count. We also have to keep in mind how many years GM needs to get out of a generation run before they gear up again for the next. Too much retro may not have the longivity that they would need. I have heard several people (not "car" people) at the office remarking on how cool they thought the new Camaro looked. Wheter they'd all run out and buy one, I don't know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
rojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 06, 06:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Charlie, I knew you were in Detroit and was very curious what your thought were on it! A few of our club members were there as well (Thanks again to Scott Settlemire!) Now that I have seen different colors on the car, different angles, potential numbers etc, I am ready to buy it! It is NOT as "retro" as many would like...but it isn't in production yet either. I think they did a fantastic job for a first try! When the Mustang prototype first came out, there were many mixed opinions on it. Not everyone loved it upon first glance. Once they started making them and we all saw them on the road and up close, that's when it gained its popularity (imho) The Camaro will probably get a few refinements, then go into production. As we start seeing them on the road, I think it will gain the popularity it deserves.

Dano
Old Jan 12th, 06, 06:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

I have a 68 Rs a 72Rs and a 97 Camaro and could not wait for the new design. I was totally disappointed. GM missed it bad. I hate to say it but when the new Challenger becomes avaliable i will be a sad owner of a Dodge. That hurts. Sorry GM.
mthomas68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 06, 06:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Just rec'd this email from Hemming Motor News:

Camaro, Challenger unveiled in Detroit

Chevrolet showed off this Camaro concept at the Detroit Auto Show while Dodge rolled out its Challenger concept photo courtesy GM
It’s 1970 all over again as two of the Big Three introduced retro-styled concepts of the Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro at the Detroit Auto Show. The Camaro also was introduced in Los Angeles, but because it was not a running car, it did not have much of an audience.
The Challenger is practically a twin to the 1970 model, while the proposed Camaro has strong styling cues from the most popular Camaro of all-time—the 1969 model— particularly at the rear and the quarter panels, which feature the three simulated vents, which were standard on ’69 Camaros. Optional in 1969 was RPO Z21—simulated vent louver trim, which was chrome plated with black accents and secured to the quarter panel with sheet metal speed nuts from inside the panel. No word yet on whether GM will make that available.
What we do know is the concept car is powered by a 400hp LS2 V-8, the same engine which is standard in the 2006 Corvette. The power will be transferred through a Tremec six-speed manual transmission. The new Camaro has many curves and lines and looks to be a winner. But put aside some cash each month for tires as the concept was shod with 21-inchers in the front and 22-inchers out back.
The Challenger has been plastered throughout numerous publications and word is the car will be powered by (what else?) a Hemi—most likely the 6.1 version with 425hp. We can only hope gasoline prices stay where they are, or better yet drop. There is no doubt if DaimlerChrysler and GM build cars that look like these concepts, they will have both hit home runs.
- By George Mattar

"The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire"
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in