Shelby-Killer? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jun 21st, 06, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Shelby-Killer?

Bob Lutz stated the ZO6 505hp LS7 engine would be available for the camaro if needed. What do you think it would be called or should be called. SS427 perhaps. Yenko would be sweet but seems highly unlikley. Or perhaps shelby-killer, as all mustangs should have there butts handed to them by a comparable camaro. Or do you think gm will just throw a ss badge on it and call it a day. I'd like to know what everyone thinks.
smattix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 21st, 06, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Shelby-Killer?

I'm quite sure GM wouldn't call it a Yenko. Yenko was a specific dealership package (ie: Yenko Chevrolet - just like Balwin Motion, etc) only.

I have full confidence that Bob could snap his fingers and make the LS7 or any other performance package happen if he felt the car needed it. However, having seen the official powertrain lineup for this program and wanting to keep speculation alive and well - My money is on:

Camaro - for a V6 (shiela mobile)
Z-28 - for a 5.3/6.0/6.2L V-8 package (boy toy)
SS - for a 6.2/7.0L high performance package (man toy)

Speculation also exists that a 6.2 L LS9 derivative is due in 2010 - think: Blue Devil Corvette. It is said to be supercharged and produce 600 hp or more. I can't imagine what GM would call it if this were to be an available package - but I'd sure like to have one. Maybe it would be time for a new Camaro performance label: SS-V or something like that.

Wait - I know - Berlinetta - Yeah Perfect !! (Does anyone remember that one ??)

'68 Camaro Coupe 396/375HP SS
(Cloned Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Real 375 HP Engine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
tjlarge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 22nd, 06, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

You want to compare Shelby Cobra with Chevrolet Camaro?

I mean this cars are so different.. Shelby is more for a old-times fans, the 5th Camaro has more "future" design..

So compare the design here:

http://www.tuningmag.net/wallpapers/1024_768/bigthumbs/cobra_wallpaper_258.jpg

http://www.tuningmag.net/wallpapers/1024_768/bigthumbs/cobra_wallpaper_248.jpg
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 22nd, 06, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder
You want to compare Shelby Cobra with Chevrolet Camaro?

I mean this cars are so different.. Shelby is more for a old-times fans, the 5th Camaro has more "future" design..

So compare the design here:

http://www.tuningmag.net/wallpapers/1024_768/bigthumbs/cobra_wallpaper_258.jpg

http://www.tuningmag.net/wallpapers/1024_768/bigthumbs/cobra_wallpaper_248.jpg
These 2 links are trying to open a .php file not a picture. Copy and paste the links into your browser to view them. Caution, the 1st one may not be concidered work safe...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 22nd, 06, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

The shelbys are cool as hell, like 'em or not. They are also making 500 horse from what I've seen.
And oh yeah, one more thing, the base camaro does not even exist yet (except the prototype), let alone a 500 horse version, not only is the mustang in production and selling like hotcakes, the GT500 is going to be in production for next year.
Unfortunately all we've heard from lutz is promises and speculation, I say lets get a camaro first, then decide whether to lay our bets on it. The camaro must walk before it runs, and its not even crawling yet

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
68rs406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 23rd, 06, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I can see the V6 being called the Camaro.
6.0l/6.2l - called the SS
7.0l+ - SS427 or the like.

I don't see the 5.3l making it into the Camaro.

I don't see GM using Z28 again nor any of the dealer specific names mentioned above.

Time will tell

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 11th, 06, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

i have a feeling a supercharged crate 572 would pep up the camaro a little and make it be able to smoke the gt500 with ease

but with ford releasing the gt500 chevy will eventuly have to make a monster camaro if they want to compete
1973z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 30th, 06, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a berlinetta
jroach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 07, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Chevy used to make the best muscle cars, and they spared no expense to make sure those cars had lots of "muscle" to back them up.

Nowadays, they produce a standard boring car, drop in a V-8 and then have the unmitigated gall to call it a "GTO". The original GTO was the holy grail of muscle cars. What could they possibly be thinking (or smoking) that led them to believe the new GTO was cool????? John DeLorean is probably rolling in his grave over that new GTO debacle. That was a real insult to his legendary creation, IMO.

Ford nailed a terrific retro design with their new Mustang. The new Dodge Challenger is totally faithful to the original and is fabulous. The new Camaro looks like a modern car, but not too retro to me. GM may get lucky and sell a decent number of them, but I predict failure and low sales............

-
Chevy-SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 07, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

You know Dave, for someone with the screen name you use you sure do bash GM/Chevy a lot...

Let's go back to 1964 when Pontiac took a ordinary plain typical looking Lemans and dropped a big cubic inch V8 in it and copied the GTO name from Ferrari... They only sold 32,450 of them which was barely worth it compared to the '67 Camaro selling 220K or Mustang sales of what?, something like half a mill the 1st year?

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 10th, 07, 04:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
Chevy used to make the best muscle cars, and they spared no expense to make sure those cars had lots of "muscle" to back them up.

Nowadays, they produce a standard boring car, drop in a V-8 and then have the unmitigated gall to call it a "GTO". The original GTO was the holy grail of muscle cars. What could they possibly be thinking (or smoking) that led them to believe the new GTO was cool????? John DeLorean is probably rolling in his grave over that new GTO debacle. That was a real insult to his legendary creation, IMO.

Ford nailed a terrific retro design with their new Mustang. The new Dodge Challenger is totally faithful to the original and is fabulous. The new Camaro looks like a modern car, but not too retro to me. GM may get lucky and sell a decent number of them, but I predict failure and low sales............

-
Dave, how many threads can you post the same information in?

You keep mentioning the GTO. Do you know why GM slammed that into showrooms? To give the GM performance market something they can get their hands on QUICKLY, a good V8 RWD performance car. Visit any GTO/Pontiac forum and you will see the popularity.

The quickest/cheapest way to do it as fast as they did was to use an existing high quality platform from GM Holden. The car is a great performer, bland in the exterior design department, but when you get a car to market that fast there is only so much you can do? I have also read GM only intended on producing so many from the start, that and lack of sales were key in halting production.

Was it a little expensive? At roughly 32K maybe most would say so. Maybe the cost of converting and shipping a car to the US had a huge factor? Comparing the GTO to the Camaro makes no sense. GTO was an existing platform that was quickly converted for the US market. The Camaro was designed/engineered with the Zeta platform in mind. Apples and oranges...

Also, you say '...they produce a standard boring car, drop in a V-8 and then have the unmitigated gall to call it a "GTO". '
Do you have ANY idea the performance heritage the Monaro has in Australia? Do just a little research and you will see it was a very hot seller and a great performance car down under. hardly what I would call a 'standard boring car' not to mention that it has been running 5.7L power for quite some time before the GTO hit showrooms in the USA.

Regarding the age old arguements 'doesn't deserve the name' 'rolling in their graves' GM did a smart think rekindling old monikors IMO. It gets people interested in the car that may not be otherwise. It also gives a chance for the younger car buyer today to hear and learn about the great cars Detroit put out in the sixties. All is not dark at GM

GM didn't design the Camaro to satisfy you, nor EVERY auto buff in the nation. No automaker can do that. There are designs we like and those we do not like, we express our opinions a few times, but not with each and evey post in a given forum. I think most of us get that you hate the design, you hate the direction that you THINK GM is headed and that's fine.

We get the picture, not all of us see the glass as half empty

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
Old Jan 10th, 07, 05:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Dave, how many threads can you post the same information in?
As many posts as talk about the same thing, so please, cut me some slack. No different than participating in posts that ask for cam or carb recommendations. There's a million of those type of posts. Would you have someone reply to only one particular thread?????????

Plus, I see you posting in these same threads too, LOL. Can you say "hypocrite"?

-

Last edited by Chevy-SS; Jan 10th, 07 at 06:04 AM.
Old Jan 10th, 07, 05:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
You know Dave, for someone with the screen name you use you sure do bash GM/Chevy a lot... .........
I have been a devoted Chevy/GM lover for decades. I guess I am overly sensitive to the mistakes (IMHO) I see GM making, simply because I am overly fond of their products.

If I didn't give a rat's a$$ about GM, then I wouldn't say a word. Hope that clarifies the mystery....................

Old Jan 10th, 07, 06:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: Shelby-Killer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
As many posts as talk about the same thing, so please, cut me some slack. No different than participating in posts that ask for cam or carb recommendations. There's a million of those type of posts. Would you have someone reply to only one particular thread?????????

Plus, I see you posting in these same threads too, LOL. Can you say "hypocrite"?

-
#1 - I don't have any personal feelings behind these posts. I have nothing at all against you personally.

Positive information repeated has a much different impact than negative information

We're all in this for one thing, the Camaro, past and present - lets keep it that way

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
Old Jan 10th, 07, 09:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
........ Positive information repeated has a much different impact than negative information ...............
I would somewhat agree with that statement.

However, negative information (or statements) directed at an individual is just asking for trouble, IMO.

I'll shut up now, and I'll stop griping (for the moment) about GM. We'll see who's right eventually, but it will take a few years.

Peace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in